How Being a Doctor Became the Most Miserable Profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
even an ms-3 experience imo is heavily limited

So true, even a resident will tell you that internship and residency is SO DIFFERENT from what is experienced on MS-3 clerkships, in which you're relatively protected when it comes to actual responsibility. I guarantee you though that nearly 1/4 - 1/2 of students would be scared off from pursuing medicine just from shadowing an MS-3 clerkship in OB-Gyn and Surgery at an academic medical center.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So true, even a resident will tell you that internship and residency is SO DIFFERENT from what is experienced on MS-3 clerkships, in which you're relatively protected when it comes to actual responsibility. I guarantee you though that nearly 1/4 - 1/2 of students would be scared off from pursuing medicine just from shadowing an MS-3 clerkship in OB-Gyn and Surgery at an academic medical center.
definitely. even ms3 -> sub-i was a huge, negative jump

also, to be fair the gynos are scary

definitely. even ms3 -> sub-i was a huge, negative jump

also, to be fair the gynos are scary

And now you know why those who can, run off to: Psychiatry, PM&R, Radiology, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Anesthesiology, Radiation Oncology, etc. Outside of Psych, which goes directly in PGY-1, it's one year of internship torture, before salvation.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One of many reasons I will be going into psych.

That's an excellent specialty!! So happy for you. Definitely one field I definitely considered, as I loved outpatient Psychiatry.

Last edited:
I always thought Pysch was one of the less competitive specialties.

It is one of the least competitive specialties. The average step 1 score is <220. But it is absolutely a lifestyle specialty in almost every sense of the word. Very amenable to solo/small group practice, great hours if you want them, in high demand, high potential income if you want to work for it, lots of variety in your work if you want it. I suppose the "trade off" is that it is very... un-mediciney in some ways. In other words, I don't think your average matriculating med student chooses as their romanticization of medicine the work of a psychiatrist. For me, though, those things were everything that I found lacking in the other specialties.

It's not competitive not because it's a ****ty field. It's not competitive because there is very little interest in it. At least that's my take on it from talking to some of my colleagues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
It is one of the least competitive specialties. The average step 1 score is <220. But it is absolutely a lifestyle specialty in almost every sense of the word. Very amenable to solo/small group practice, great hours if you want them, in high demand, high potential income if you want to work for it, lots of variety in your work if you want it. I suppose the "trade off" is that it is very... un-mediciney in some ways. In other words, I don't think your average matriculating med student chooses as their romanticization of medicine the work of a psychiatrist. For me, though, those things were everything that I found lacking in the other specialties.

It's not competitive not because it's a ****** field. It's not competitive because there is very little interest in it. At least that's my take on it from talking to some of my colleagues.

Quiet down, man... keep it on DL for couple more years.

Reactions: 1 users
what's that got to do with anything?

Some of the other specialties DermViser posted are the more competitive specialties. I'm just curious about why Psych is a desirable specialty, and if it is, why it isn't more competitive.

It's not competitive not because it's a ****** field. It's not competitive because there is very little interest in it. At least that's my take on it from talking to some of my colleagues.

Makes sense. I wonder if more future grads will pursue specialties like Psych in an effort to avoid some of the complaints in this thread (hours, hospital admin etc)

Edit: Is Forensic Psychiatry a real fellowship, or is it just a Crime TV thing?

I respect people who are able to go into Psych. Maybe I'll change my mind in the next 5yrs, but I just don't think I could take it. Seen far too much of the other side with friends and family, and now I cannot see myself purposefully choosing that mentality/environment.

Some of the other specialties DermViser posted are the more competitive specialties. I'm just curious about why Psych is a desirable specialty, and if it is, why it isn't more competitive.

Makes sense. I wonder if more future grads will pursue specialties like Psych in an effort to avoid some of the complaints in this thread (hours, hospital admin etc)

Edit: Is Forensic Psychiatry a real fellowship, or is it just a Crime TV thing?

It is in fact a real thing. It's one of the higher paying fellowships because they are typically involved with the legal system and charge fees to operate as legal witnesses. I have heard they can bill at rates as high as $500-1000/hr but I have no idea how accurate or feasible that is. Other than that it's supposedly somewhat competitive as a fellowship I don't know much else out about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is in fact a real thing. It's one of the higher paying fellowships because they are typically involved with the legal system and charge fees to operate as legal witnesses. I have heard they can bill at rates as high as $500-1000/hr but I have no idea how accurate or feasible that is. Other than that it's supposedly somewhat competitive as a fellowship I don't know much else out about it.

I thought forensic pysch was interesting when I watched crime shows, but of course, I cannot say for sure what will interest me until I get into and finish med school lol.

Thanks for the info!

I respect people who are able to go into Psych. Maybe I'll change my mind in the next 5yrs, but I just don't think I could take it. Seen far too much of the other side with friends and family, and now I cannot see myself purposefully choosing that mentality/environment.

Fair enough. For some people it's too personal. One of the major downsides is the emotional baggage that inevitably comes with it. I think for a lot of people it's not worth it from that perspective.

It is and it doesn't matter. Scoring 260 doesn't mean that you can only apply uro and plastics even though you're interested in peds.

Another med student's mind blown. My work is done. Newsflash - there are excellent specialties that don't fit in the ROAD mnemonic.

Last edited:
@DermViser @smq123
I'm going to apologize and attempt to clear things up, and then I'll leave the conversation, since I've expressed whatever thoughts I have on the subject more than enough. I've clearly upset you all with my opinions, and I can absolutely see why. This conversation has been tactless, with each party simply disregarding the others' experience, and I have just been rambling on about my own. I also think that some of this is misunderstanding about our backgrounds. I'm not a 20 year old premed trying to tell you what the world is like. I've had a lot of stops and turns in my life that have given me the experiences I've had, and have also greatly delayed both post-secondary education and entry into medicine. I've been in the work force for almost 3 years since graduating college, and I worked for 2 years before school. I know that both of you are working adults as well, and I really hope I can pull something from this that will help me in my future career. I hope you can pull something from this too, even if it is just knowing that one more person respects both of your perspectives.

smq: With each post I'm understanding more about where you're coming from. The first post did upset me, but that was unwarranted. You cannot make leaps about a person's character, background, or obligations from a post on the internet. I can see how you were angered by that. I don't know what it is like to be a physician, someday I'd like to, and for now what I should be doing is trying to learn from your perspective, even if I don't agree with it right now. I haven't had the kinds of things that a career in medicine offers like job security, financial security, and (though this is entirely subjective and conjecture on my part) fairly frequent satisfying personal encounters, so it seemed like you were taking that for granted. Not only is it not my place to tell you this, but I did so very disrespectfully out of my own frustration. I also should have considered that I too take things for granted, things that you cannot, such as the direct responsibility for peoples' lives that you mentioned in your response.

You know NOTHING about me or my daily experience. You know NOTHING of what it's like to be a physician. You know NOTHING of what it's like to toss and turn until 3AM because you wonder if you made the right decision today with your patients. You know NOTHING of what it's like to have nightmares that you killed someone by mistake because you missed something.
Though I felt as though I did make it clear that I understand this, I clearly did not, and that is my fault. I do not know what it is like to be a physician, and I imagine that it is at times nothing short of harrowing.

You know NOTHING of what it's like to have an MBA tell you how to treat your patient, despite the fact that you spent SEVEN years of your life trying to learn how to treat patients.
No, I don't know what this is like. I am not a physician. I do know what it is like to have a high-power government worker, with zero training in your field, ignore your consultations and months of hard work simply because he didn't want to read the 100+ page summary report that you and your co-workers made (that work had implications in war zones in Afghanistan and almost certainly would have prevented deaths). I will say this though, your experience is far more intimate. You are the one who makes the decisions, so even if there is external pressure from an MBA to treat people in a certain way, you must ultimately make the decisions. That is a far more morally agonizing situation, and I understand why that drags on you, even if I don't understand how it feels.

You know NOTHING of what it's like to have your personal life crash around you while still trying to see a patient every 15 minutes for 8 hours a day.
I don't know about seeing patients, but I've certainly had my personal life crash around me, and I still had to work. At the time I was working frantically almost 12 hours a day in a fairly hostile environment. There are very few feelings worse than fighting a losing battle at work while the one we really care about is raging on outside of the office. It will sink you, to know that you have to keep working or else lose your job, meanwhile all you want to do is leave and do all the things you need to be doing for the people you love. I think we probably feel pretty similarly about this.

You know NOTHING of what it's like to wake up at 3AM every day, for 6 days a week, just so you can finish your paperwork and your charts.
Well I never wake up at 3AM, but there was a period of about two years when I woke up at 5AM and worked 12 hours a day at a drug therapy start-up. If you don't know, these things tend to be pressure cookers where sink or swim means billions or bankrupt. I'm sure you know some of this, but just getting through phase II clinical trials requires tens of millions of investor money. When results are lagging, investors squeeze the CEO, the CEO squeezes the supervisor, and the supervisor squeezes the employees. There were only 12 initial employees, but each of us were screamed at for things completely out of our control at least once a week. The supervisor would curse and threaten to fire us because the drug wasn't doing well in the trials and the investors were unhappy. We'd work super long days and weekends looking for results that were simply never going to appear with this drug, because if we didn't we would be fired, and the chance of getting a decent reference from them (my first full-time industry job), was zero if you quit. That company eventually crashed and burned, but the whole time I worked there seems like a dream now. Amazingly, this isn't even an entirely uncommon thing in drug start-ups. Keep in mind I'm not trying to compete with your experience, the two are entirely different. Being a doctor, particularly in residency, seems to be incredibly stressful.

You know NOTHING of what it's like to have your significant other, the most important person in your life, tell you that the job is ruining your relationship and he worries that it will drive you two apart.
I don't know why you would assume this. Sadly, I do know what this is like. Except she never told me, she just left.

So don't talk to me about "financial security" and "reasonable hours." when you truly know NOTHING of what it's like to be a physician.
It's very hard to argue that physicians aren't financially secure, but I suppose in certain specialties and through certain parts of your life you spend a lot of time thinking about finances, and there is certainly something to be said for that. I only mentioned reasonable hours because you had said yourself that they were reasonable in your previous post, and I only ever said that they were hours that you had deemed reasonable. From the numbers I've seen, reasonable hours is definitely not a perk of being a physician, even after residency.

No, I'm not saying that someone who works a meaningless corporate 9-5 job is "perfectly happy." I never said that. But what I DID say is that *I*might be happier in that case. ME, just ME. I'm not presuming to consider what other people would say if asked to compare. Your reading comprehension needs a serious amount of work.
My mistake, I think I was reading between the lines too much, and I wasn't completely level-headed when I read your post. I would be careful about ever calling someone's career meaningless, but I suppose it was introduced that way, so no harm done. I think I got mad at this comment for the same reason you got mad at mine, because each of us were presuming to know things about a particular career/life without experiencing it first hand.

I definitely took your post too harshly. You're allowed to complain about the things that make you unhappy about your job without always making sure everyone knows that you're grateful for the things that you do have, especially in the company of other people who have or will someday have that job. This might be obnoxious if you said this kind of thing in public, but of course on a pre-med forum this is perfectly acceptable. I'm actually pretty happy we had this stupid internet fight. It's a good reminder to never presume anything about anyone's life aside from your own. I'm sorry for my intrusions. You are entitled to whatever beliefs you may have, just as I am entitled to mine. I hope you can take something from my responses as well.

DermViser: I guess I just wish that you had taken the time to spell out my misunderstanding, instead of just dismissing me. We're probably not too far off in age, and I would expect more respect if we were talking in person. However, like I said to smq, I can see why my posts aggravated you. I truly do know nothing about what it is like to be a doctor, and I have to respect your opinions on the profession, regardless of what I think of your responses.

Last edited:
Fair enough. For some people it's too personal. One of the major downsides is the emotional baggage that inevitably comes with it. I think for a lot of people it's not worth it from that perspective.

PM&R is also not "competitive" (yet).

One psychiatrist that I know pulls in over 7 figures in revenue. It is a private practice, so he pockets everything after expenses.

He spends about 3-5 minutes per patient, and his office is always full, equaling to 10patients/hour at the very least.

You can calculate how much he makes.

Last edited:
Wow! This thread, though. :thinking:

56248766.jpg

You know NOTHING of what it's like to toss and turn until 3AM because you wonder if you made the right decision today with your patients.

Thats the point of 7+ years of post-graduate training - you become competent at making the best decisions. Also, tons of 'decisions' are formulaic and you're following established standards or guidelines. Keep your ego in check.

Last edited:
Thats the darn point of 7+ years of post-graduate training - you become competent at making the best decisions. Also, tons of 'decisions' are formulaic and you're following established standards or guidelines. Keep your ego in check.
Whoa there...mostly they're talking crap when they tell the premeds to stfu about things, but now you're treading into territory where it's completely inappropriate for you to be judging. The competency of new physicians and the difficulty of their decisions? Nope, too far past the line.

Also, just because a decision is formulaic doesn't mean it's easy to pull the trigger yourself.

I haven't had the kinds of things that a career in medicine offers like job security, financial security, and (though this is entirely subjective and conjecture on my part) fairly frequent satisfying personal encounters, so it seemed like you were taking that for granted.

The last thing I want to warn the pre-meds against is not falling too hard for the "you should be grateful you're a doctor because you get to help people" mystique. Yes, you do get to help people, and yes, it is a genuinely good feeling - and, like I said before, that's one of the reasons I didn't quit a long time ago.

But people will also try to take advantage of you because of this. "Dr. EngineerPreMD, if you really cared about your patients, you'd see more patients for less money." "Dr. EngineerPreMD, if you really cared about me as your patient, you'd lie for me so that I could get disability." "Dr. EngineerPreMD, if you really cared about me as your patient, you'd prescribe me narcotic pain meds." It's really hard to say no to these types of things, and that leads to burnout really fast.

I agree. But smq123 post was very arrogant.... the one with the "NOTHING" all over it

The last thing I want to warn the pre-meds against is not falling too hard for the "you should be grateful you're a doctor because you get to help people" mystique. Yes, you do get to help people, and yes, it is a genuinely good feeling - and, like I said before, that's one of the reasons I didn't quit a long time ago.
But people will also try to take advantage of you because of this. "Dr. EngineerPreMD, if you really cared about your patients, you'd see more patients for less money." "Dr. EngineerPreMD, if you really cared about me as your patient, you'd lie for me so that I could get disability." "Dr. EngineerPreMD, if you really cared about me as your patient, you'd prescribe me narcotic pain meds." It's really hard to say no to these types of things, and that leads to burnout really fast.

So? This is NOT unique to medicine. Actually, academia can be like that, or worse.

People can try to take advantage of you in many different disciplines.

Thats the point of 7+ years of post-graduate training - you become competent at making the best decisions. Also, tons of 'decisions' are formulaic and you're following established standards or guidelines. Keep your ego in check.

Thanks for the perspective about medical decisions premed.

I agree. But smq123 post was very arrogant.... the one with the "NOTHING" all over it
So what, you're going to start making exactly the kind of arguments they're expecting and fulfill their whole "premeds are idiot toddlers who act as if they know more than they possibly can" schtick? You're only proving them right...and dragging the rest of us with you.

Don't become an arrogant jerk in this argument just because you're annoyed at them for being arrogant jerks.

The point I believe many people are missing in this discussion is that these problems don't have to be unique to medicine in order to be problems...the reason they're being brought up is NOT that no other career has analogues, but rather that many people looking to go into this career overlook them.

Reactions: 3 users
So? This is NOT unique to medicine. Actually, academia can be like that, or worse.

People can try to take advantage of you in many different disciplines.

Yeah, except it's YOUR medical license and malpractice that is on the line.

Whoa there...mostly they're talking crap when they tell the premeds to stfu about things, but now you're treading into territory where it's completely inappropriate for you to be judging. The competency of new physicians and the difficulty of their decisions? Nope, too far past the line.

Also, just because a decision is formulaic doesn't mean it's easy to pull the trigger yourself.

It was only a matter of time. Isn't there an expression that goes: "Premeds go where angels fear to tread"?

Last edited:
You should probably get used to rigid hierarchy if you go to medical school.

You should probably get used to rigid hierarchy if you go to medical school.
There is no reason for an online forum to be organized in the same hierarchy as a medical school.
@Mornhavon 's point is valid.

Isn't there a a saying that goes 'the best way to find truth is to say something wrong on the internet?'

Dr., what makes it hard for you to deny these, and other requests? I like to think I would stand by what is right, for myself and them, and say "no" when needed. What prevents you from accomplishing that?

You take very intelligent people, give one the title of Attending/Medical Student, and the other Pre-Med, and whether the topic of discussion is medically related or not, practically all you see are arguments from authority and ad hominems towards those who don't possess the right credentials.

You would think that three-hundred years post enlightenment we might judge people by the quality of their arguments and reasoning, rather than using crappy heuristics that poison debate, but we don't. It says something to the fallibility of human nature.

Actually we are judging people by the quality of their arguments. Most of the posts coming out of the premed camp are just plain wrong. Sorry.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah because someone who just came out of college will have a perspective that is just as useful and interesting as that from someone who did college, medical school, residency and has the experience that comes with just doing things. It's not that your arguments are useless because you're a premed. But if you're a premed, you have no perspective and no experience. You might say the right things and have the right idea about things but it doesn't matter because you have no legitimacy. Taking a few college classes gives you absolutely no insight into medicine but you all think your opinion matters.

and whether the topic of discussion is medically related or not, practically all you see are arguments from authority and ad hominems towards those who don't possess the right credentials.

For some reason this premise is being misread or ignored completely. Your point is absolutely valid. I was trying to argue a similar point much earlier in the thread. The responses to your post have been very...odd.

From a sociological perspective, it's interesting to see the impact that hierarchy has on discussion, at least here on SDN.

You take very intelligent people, give one the title of Attending/Medical Student, and the other Pre-Med, and whether the topic of discussion is medically related or not, practically all you see are arguments from authority and ad hominems towards those who don't possess the right credentials.

You would think that three-hundred years post enlightenment we might judge people by the quality of their arguments and reasoning, rather than using crappy heuristics that poison debate, but we don't. It says something to the fallibility of human nature.

lol no....

From a sociological perspective, it's interesting to see the impact that hierarchy has on discussion, at least here on SDN.

Your actual arguments and reasoning are wrong and misguided. Your credentials just confirm this.

Up to this point your entire life has been an academic GPA rat-race and CV EC padding. Even with the best of ECs, there is no way you can accurately reproduce the med school/residency/attending experience.

Medicine is not MS-1/MS-2, Step scores, etc.

That's true in any discussion of anything ever. Why do you think parents are so annoying to debate with? Because at some point the argument devolves to "well, you don't have kids, so you don't know what you're talking about".

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...tor-became-the-most-miserable-profession.html

Nine of 10 doctors discourage others from joining the profession, and 300 physicians commit suicide every year. When did it get this bad?
By the end of this year, it’s estimated that 300 physicians will commit suicide. While depression amongst physicians is not new—a few years back, it was named the second most suicidal occupation—the level of sheer unhappiness amongst physicians is on the rise.

Simply put, being a doctor has become a miserable and humiliating undertaking. Indeed, many doctors feel that America has declared war on physicians—and both physicians and patients are the losers.

Not surprisingly, many doctors want out. Medical students opt for high-paying specialties so they can retire as quickly as possible. Physician MBA programs—that promise doctors a way into management—are flourishing. The website known as the Drop-Out-Club—which hooks doctors up with jobs at hedge funds and venture capital firms—has a solid following. In fact, physicians are so bummed out that 9 out of 10 doctors would discourage anyone from entering the profession.

I despise websites like TheDailyBeast. They write articles full of such conviction without much nuance and then have little data to back it up. I wonder where they got that 9/10 number? How was that study conducted? Seriously, anyone can fact pick.

I despise websites like TheDailyBeast. They write articles full of such conviction without much nuance and then have little data to back it up. I wonder where they got that 9/10 number? How was that study conducted? Seriously, anyone can fact pick.
Besides the 9/10 figure, is there any part of the article you actually disagree with?

I used to think a bit like you as a pre-med... I've since realized my pre-med opinion on medicine was worthless.

Some random thoughts:

As I sit here after a 4 day marathon study session for an exam in 8 hours, it's funny how everything else seems awesome….painting, photography, space…riding a bike.

I think I was much more driven and ambitious as a pre-med. Sure I still want to do cool stuff, but I have to scrap together a presentation tomorrow and start prepping for another test on Wed.

Since this a pre-med forum…it's been interesting being on the other side of the interview table….I gave all but one interviewee good to great reviews. Aside from giving way too lengthy memorized answers, they were just trying way too hard to please. So there, just be you in the interview, not a robot!

I've seen a lot of "if you're smart enough to get into med school, you're smart enough to earn success elsewhere"… I actually have a twin sibling who turned their idea into a million dollar business not too long ago. Looking back, interesting to see how our interests shaped two entirely different paths.

Last edited:
Newsflash no one generally likes waking up in the morning and going to work... if you took a poll of university professors and university janitors, 9/10 would probably both say "dont go into academia/janitorial services".... just do something you could tolerate for awhile, if you dont like it? Change fields? This goes without saying for pretty much.... anything in life.

Yeah because someone who just came out of college will have a perspective that is just as useful and interesting as that from someone who did college, medical school, residency and has the experience that comes with just doing things. It's not that your arguments are useless because you're a premed. But if you're a premed, you have no perspective and no experience. You might say the right things and have the right idea about things but it doesn't matter because you have no legitimacy. Taking a few college classes gives you absolutely no insight into medicine but you all think your opinion matters.
Insight into medicine, nope, but the non-trads do have insight that those who did college-med school-residency do not. If you want to talk about medicine within itself, please do, I'd love to hear about your experience since it may help me. Of course I won't refute you at all because I have absolutely no experience as a physician. However, this thread is about how medicine became the most miserable profession, implying comparison. Show me the other careers you've pursued, and the jobs you held down for more than just a year or two while applying to medical school, and then I'll take your word as law. To have the pedigree to truly compare two fields, you have to have not only worked, but worked for many years with the intention of making each particular field your lifelong career. I would venture to say that few to none of the people on this thread have that experience. The best anyone can do here is give a biased view on the experiences they have, and take everyone else's view with a grain of salt.

Dr., what makes it hard for you to deny these, and other requests? I like to think I would stand by what is right, for myself and them, and say "no" when needed. What prevents you from accomplishing that?

For one....post visit patient surveys that become tied to your performance, salary, and eventually partnership if in a large medical group

For one....post visit patient surveys that become tied to your performance, salary, and eventually partnership if in a large medical group
I've actually heard this from several docs. I've seen some really awkward patient interactions, and I've also seen some truly expertly finagled encounters that makes the patient feel a lot better about the service despite not getting narcotic drugs. My interpretation is that it still puts docs in an uncomfortable position.

Last edited: