how can a international medical graduate become a resident in the u.s.a.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

findingme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi:confused:, right now i'm a 2nd year medical student(2nd M.B.B.S) in an indian medical college.i'd like to do my residency in the u.s.a. but it seems near impossible to enter being an international medical graduate.so if any of you have crossed over from this ocean i'd love to know what you did.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Ive personally never done this. Im just about to go into medical school in India from the states. But i have a brother in law whose brother in law went to Amristsar medical college (he lived in INDIA) and he did his residency here and hes specializing in G.I. now or something. So its possible, Depends on how you do on the USMLE.

You should think about getting a visa to come into the US for some clinical experience. Program directors will really consider you as a strong applicant if you have US experience. You should work with an advisor or agency that help place students in clerkships or externships in the US. I worked with AAMA, they were excellent, and I was able to obtain letters of recommendation which really helped me for applying to residency.

This is the website: aspireadmissionsconsultants.com

Good Luck to you!

hi:confused:, right now i'm a 2nd year medical student(2nd M.B.B.S) in an indian medical college.i'd like to do my residency in the u.s.a. but it seems near impossible to enter being an international medical graduate.so if any of you have crossed over from this ocean i'd love to know what you did.

Dude... that happens all the time....