How can foreigners apply to American medical universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am right now in the final year of my higher secondary school education and have sincere thoughts of getting an mbbs degree from USA but unfortunately i have no perfect information about the processess i shall be really very thankful if someone could help me out and answer my following questions

1- Do American universities offer mbbs degrees and how many years will it take and since i am a foreigner do i have the chance of getting admission there?

2- Do i have to complete any course or get any degree before starting my medical studies (mbbs) in America and how much time will it take?

3- What necessary tests shall i have to take like toefl and sat and which type of sat tests are required for the medical students ?

4-Can you give me some information about the fees and other charges and if scholarship can be got or not and can i do part time job for meeting the financial requirements ?

5-Can you name some preferrable universities having less fees ?

6- What % does one need to get in higher seconday education to get admission in American medical university 70%, 80% or 90%

Pleaseeeeee reply to the questions since i am in desperate need of help i shall be very thankful to you

Members don't see this ad.

someone said:
i am right now in the final year of my higher secondary school education and have sincere thoughts of getting an mbbs degree from USA but unfortunately i have no perfect information about the processess i shall be really very thankful if someone could help me out and answer my following questions

1- Do American universities offer mbbs degrees and how many years will it take and since i am a foreigner do i have the chance of getting admission there?

2- Do i have to complete any course or get any degree before starting my medical studies (mbbs) in America and how much time will it take?

3- What necessary tests shall i have to take like toefl and sat and which type of sat tests are required for the medical students ?

4-Can you give me some information about the fees and other charges and if scholarship can be got or not and can i do part time job for meeting the financial requirements ?

5-Can you name some preferrable universities having less fees ?

6- What % does one need to get in higher seconday education to get admission in American medical university 70%, 80% or 90%

Pleaseeeeee reply to the questions since i am in desperate need of help i shall be very thankful to you

1. There is no mbbs here in the states. Medical schools give MD degrees. It is quite difficult to get into one, especially as a foreigner.

2. Medical schools often need a Bachelor's degree for admission, during which you have had to take some required courses relevant to medical school preparation. These degrees are often four years long. Medical schools are 4 years. So typically 8 years or more. (There are very few combined programs that combine the undergraduate degree with medical school. I am not sure which ones they are, but Boston University has one.)

3. You need a TOEFL for getting into an undergraduate program, among other things. You need good undergraduate grades and MCAT examination scores for getting into medical school.

4. There is a wide range of tution based on residency and medical school. For a foreigner, think of at least $30000 annual tution and above, not including expenses for living, etc. The medical school curriculum is pretty intense and hence I doubt that you could work and study at the same time, especially during your last two years. Financial aid is available, but most are limited to US citizens or permanent residents. You ay be able to find financial aid, but your choices will be limited.

5. I don't know. As a foreigner, you will not have the discounts given to state residents in state schools.

6. There is no fixed percentage. But, you have to be excellent in undergrad, have good MCAT scores, and show your aptitude and dedication to medicine and the selection committees. Be aware that very very few foreigners get accepted to US medical schools each year. Many Americans that are interested in medical school have to go abroad since they can't get into medical school here. Therefore, imagine the very low chances for a foreigner.

Since you have finished your secondary schooling, you might be able to get in with one year of sciences from a US school. You will likely have to take the TOEFL and you will have to take the MCATS. It will be very difficult to get into a US medical school, and very expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)

If I am understanding correctly, you've completed secondary school, meaning that you have not entered university and perhaps finished school at around 18 or so? The first thing you need to know is that US medical schools generally do not accept anyone who does not have a BA or BSc. We all have to apply during our final year of university. Medical schools in the US and Canada are universally postgraduate and do not accept students out of secondary school or further education (A-levels).

If you wish to begin a medical course right away, it would I think be better to go to a country on the UK or European system. Otherwise you would have to wait years as you complete a bachelor's degree in an unrelated subject (biology, chemistry, French, music, etc), and both US undergraduate and medical degrees have exorbitantly high tuition. :(

University (undergraduate) = 4 years
Medical school = 4 years

If you wish to go home to practice medicine, I would think that the best choice would be to attend medical school in your own country if that is possible. Medical degrees are not easily transferrable from one country to another and if you move after graduating or completing training, most countries of similar development and lifestyle could require you to complete several years of additional training. The amount of debt incurred by US medical graduates who are US citizens, and therefore eligible for much more "aid" than international students for tuition is enormous (as much as $200,000 or more for many). Thus, even if you are uncertain about your prospects of getting into medical school closer to home, I think it is more worthwhile to simply take an extra year to resit A-levels or other exams than to apply abroad. When considering how many years medical training takes, it is more than worth it to take an additional year to work on your qualifications so that you can get in somewhere that will turn out better for you in the end.