How can I ensure a good strong start to the exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomdeplume1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I normally wake up quite early so that's not really an issue but I find that my brain is in a fog for the C/P section. What is the best way to ensure that my brain is "ready to go" at exam start instead of taking all that time to warm up?

Members don't see this ad.

Start info dumping at the tutorial, you can use he information or not but the I like the idea of just getting the gears going during that 10 min rather than sitting there staring at the first passage like it's in Greek lol

Would anyone recommend doing a brief content review after waking up very early? Or what about a couple practice passages to get the blood flowing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice from someone who fell asleep during two practice exams, but was able to focus on the real thing:

Get a good night's sleep.
Wake up early enough that you are not rushing to make it out the door.
If you are a coffee drinker, drink at least a little before the exam, but not so much that you have to pee a lot. On that note, use the restroom before starting the exam.
Eat breakfast.
If you have something that gets you pumped up/focused, do that. Listen to music, do a few jumping jacks, give yourself a pep talk, whatever.
I found it very helpful to stop before each new passage, close my eyes, take a deep breath, and clear my head. It only takes a few seconds, but it helped me forget the last passage and focus on the next one.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but it was 10x easier for me to focus on the actual exam than it was on any practice exam. I was psyched up because it was the real deal. However, I did have to force myself not to rush through psych, because I was so excited to be DONE.

I agree with much of what was said above.

Start waking up early the week of your exam. Move your wake up time ahead 15 mins a day until you reach your planned wake up time.

Test day: Wake up on time, plan to arrive 30 min before check in at latest. While you get ready in the morning, warm up physically AND mentally. Flashcards, review sheets, some light calisthenics or cardio to get the blood pumping.

While you are waiting at the site, relax, take deep breaths. Listen to some music if you can. Avoid talking to others and just start mentally visualizing the chem/phys section. Once you are sat down and set up at the computer, USE THE TUTORIAL. You can write down any equations/formulas/good luck phrases you like. You can even write and outline of the section if you need help keeping track of all the passages/discretes (this is esp true for students who do not do the section in order).

Something like:

P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6 P7 P8 P9 P10

D1 D2 D3 D4

Avoid a big heavy breakfast or too much caffeine (unless you've always been a morning coffee/tee drinker). One of the best ways to ensure you are well rested is to do some non-mcat related the day before. Nothing crazy, but something that will tire you and bring you home relaxed and ready to go to sleep early, and help prevent staying up late in anticipation of the exam. I personally spent the day prior to my MCAT at a water/amusement park with friends not interested in med school.

You'll be good to go! Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard that at least one testing center the staff told students to stop writing in their booklets during the tutorial. Wonder what the best way to ensure this does not happen to me is.

Last edited:
I've heard that at least one testing center the staff told students to stop writing in their booklets during the tutorial. Wonder what the best way to ensure this happens to me is.

I think this is hearsay. From what I know from taking my test, it is ok to write in the booklets even during the tutorial section.

My advice is to bring a sandwich (or another substantial and easy to eat meal) and force yourself to have a few bites in between sections, drink some powerade (or anything with a small amount of sugar), and to go to the bathroom. I also concur with all the above advice.

I've heard that at least one testing center the staff told students to stop writing in their booklets during the tutorial. Wonder what the best way to ensure this does not happen to me is.

Can I get some clarification on this?

Is there a definitive resource that says this is allowed? or has this just been anecdotally successful for past applicants. I don't want to get in trouble or asked to stop writing during the tutorial and it would be nice to see have some supportive evidence in case the proctor decides it's not okay

Can I get some clarification on this?

Is there a definitive resource that says this is allowed? or has this just been anecdotally successful for past applicants. I don't want to get in trouble or asked to stop writing during the tutorial and it would be nice to see have some supportive evidence in case the proctor decides it's not okay

For procrastination's sake, I looked this up. On page 26 of "The MCAT Essentials" under "Scratch Paper", the first bullet point reads:

"You may use your scratch paper during the Tutorial and Examinee Agreement section."

I'd say that clears up this issue.

Reactions: 1 user