How can I feel passionate about my classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeypot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been feeling increasingly apathetic and have been having a "I want to get this semester over with" mentality. How can I feel passionate about my classes again?

Members don't see this ad.

your relatioinship with your classes can be complicated and full of its ups and downs. But fortunately with my new book "Rekindling the love in the relationship with your classes," you can learn how to reignite that heated passion with your classes you so desire. The book comes in hardcover and if you order now, we'll throw in an "I <3 my classes" T-shirt. You get the book in hard cover and this super cool T-shirt all for $19.95! But wait! If you call in the next 37 minutes, we'll throw in a second T-shirt that says "I <3 _____" personalized with your name on it. This gift makes excellent attire for your classes to wear.

you'll have to excuse me, I don't know where that came from.

Its all up to you my friend! We all get this way so don't think you're alone, but only you have the ability to change your perspective. Get involved with associated academic clubs and I've also noticed that study groups help to liven things up. You also tend to learn a lot more because you have others there to answer questions you may have.

Best of luck, just don't burn out.

Members don't see this ad :)
your relatioinship with your classes can be complicated and full of its ups and downs. But fortunately with my new book "Rekindling the love in the relationship with your classes," you can learn how to reignite that heated passion with your classes you so desire. The book comes in hardcover and if you order now, we'll throw in an "I <3 my classes" T-shirt. You get the book in hard cover and this super cool T-shirt all for $19.95! But wait! If you call in the next 37 minutes, we'll throw in a second T-shirt that says "I <3 _____" personalized with your name on it. This gift makes excellent attire for your classes to wear.

lol. I feel like it is affecting my ability to get things done though and I keep procrastinating

I was thinking teacher-student sex when I read the title.

lol love the I <3 ____ part

lol. I feel like it is affecting my ability to get things done though and I keep procrastinating

well just keep in mind that you don't always have to feel passionate about each subject. For example, I don't care much for Chemistry so I'm not passionate about it. I'll still work hard to make sure I do well on tests/quizzes because that's important, but I may never have a deep interest in it.

On the other hand, I love biology and you could say I have a "passion" for it. But even so, after big tests or quizzes I may feel burnt out on bio after all the studying. So maybe that weekend I wouldn't feel "passionate" and study it intensely.

I think the bottom line is that it's important to be motivated when it counts, even if it means sucking it up and dealing with an uninteresting subject.

do the ends justify the means?

HMMMM????

I don't think that's a relevant question. No one says you have to like everything you do on your way to becoming a doctor.

Lately I've been feeling increasingly apathetic and have been having a "I want to get this semester over with" mentality. How can I feel passionate about my classes again?

That's every quarter for me....really :) I just try to study effectively right before the exam, focusing on lecture....:laugh:

I just stop going to lectures and studying for exams. This in turn makes exams more challenging, and I love challenges.

It's hard. Everyone burns out sometimes. Go out, have a blast for a day or 2 and the guilt of not doing anything should drive you back into it quite easily.:thumbup:

Hey MedChic - is your Avatar of Gemma Ward?

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't waste your time with that book--buy mine, "Chem is from Mars, Bio is from Venus." :D

But seriously, sometimes a class is just going to suck. If you're feeling down about all of them, you're probably just burnt out and need to take a mental health day and go do something fun and not school related. And if you're thinking that no, you don't have time, you have too much to do...how much time are you probably wasting half-heartedly staring at a problem set?

Take some time to do something that you enjoy. This will rejuvenate you. Sometimes I burn out so much that I can't study for a few days, but I do recover and start again. One thing that I do is that I study for 50 minutes and take a 15 minutes break, then repeat. Use a timer. It prevents burnout.

You know what? PRETEND you're passionate about your classes. Read your book before class (even if it's boring as hell) and think about a couple points. When lecture gets going, you might even ask a question or two. Once I start interacting, I find I get more excited about the course (even if I was initially bored to death with it).

Another secret? "The secret of getting ahead is getting started." This is especially true for those boring subjects. Just tell yourself you will spend 30 minutes on the subject. Getting started is always the hardest part.

Take a year off and work a dead-end job with lots of flourescent lighting. That'll put the passion back in your studies...

Just take some time to relax. I've dealt with this issue plenty during the semester, since this whole year has been bio and orgo. Second semester organic chemistry is not the most enlightening material. One thing that has kept me up has been my other class, an introductory film studies course. At least I'm excited for that one every day I have it :p

think about all your annoying, but required, classes like this: I can either sit down this week (im on quarter system so i had finals this week) and study my ass off and get an A in as many classes as I can, or I can waste 1-2 YEARS of my life worrying about getting into med school and wasting money on Master programs. It also comes down to, how bad do you wanna be a doc? This is the point of weeding out; cut out the slackers who aren't 100% focused on the prize.

PS: Please, please don't turn into a gunner. A gunner is 50% focused on the prize, and 50% focused on snatching the prize away from their fellow students.

I'm gonna 2nd study-groups. I get distracted a lot by the internet (ESPN, SDN, etc.). However I like studying with friends from classes, and we get tons of learning down in Physics and Calc. Plus it's fun since those guys are my friends.

Everyone has their weaknesses, and that's just how we're made. It's up to you the individual to figure out a way to limiting those weaknesses in affecting your goals of becoming a doctor.

Paranoid eyes is also right in that you have to think of the long term. Just have a consciousness of the decisions you make, and it'll be all good in the hood.

A couple of other things I just thought of:

The hardest thing is to get started. However it's easier to kind of ease into work that you don't want to do. Start on whatever work you are most passionate about/hate the least/is the most fun/ is the easiest. Then transition from there.

Don't get too burned out with constant studying though at the same time get your crap done and you'll be fine.

I've been feeling this way since I started med school. Is that bad?

wow does it bear a resemblance?

Well, not anymore. Now it's Minnie Mouse. But, yes, it looked like Gemma to me. If that was your pic, then, well, I'd say you've done well.

I'm really serious about PRETENDING. It may sound stupid, but it's not really. I use this technique for many things. If I'm not excited about my job, I'll tell myself, "Well, I'll PRETEND that I'm into it." Before long, I feel more enthusiasm for that position. If I think I'm having a "BAD" day, I'll tell myself, "Well, I'll PRETEND that I'm having a good day." After smiling and exchanging happy thoughts with 2 or 3 people, I suddenly feel like WOW maybe I am feeling good. The same goes for boring classes. Just PRETEND. It will actually get better :) :)

Right now, I'm going to PRETEND like this whole admission process doesn't matter to me so much, LOL

me too. i've been facing burnout for the past year. sad thing is that i take nice long breaks to rejuvenate my drive (i used to have a lot), but i feel like they just make me lazier and lazier. i've become ... a bum.

Think of it like a game, and let your competitive spirit awake. The goal is to win (get an A and perform better than your classmates).

Think of it like a game, and let your competitive spirit awake. The goal is to win (get an A and perform better than your classmates).

which leads to the beginnings of a gunner, :D :D :laugh: jk.

If you are passionate about your goal you can push through some of the crappy hurdles along the way to get there by remaining focused on that. Try to do some volunteer work that reminds you why you are passionate about being a physician, don't pick something that necissarily looks amazing on your amcas or anything, but go watch some surgeries or play with the hemeonc kids or whatever floats your boat. I know when preclinical curriculum in medschool is grinding me down I just go and hang out in the ER for a night and I can ride on the that as motivation through a whole block.