How can I get an experience at a dental office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kirow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most dental school require that students have been at the observation experience at a few dental offices. How can I get there? I can't imagine just coming in the office and say "I'm a pre-dental student, could I get some observation with a dentist?"
How does this thing work?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes that's exactly you should do...I tried like a dozen offices only to get "No" from all of them...Luckily I got my dad's friend referring me to his friend's clinic...Btw this is in NYC and no one wanted you in their business...

Yes that's exactly you should do...

True story!!

Work with your warm network first. Ask your personal dentist, friends dentist, families dentist if you can shadow them. If that doesn't work try your schools health clinic to see if they have dentist or check your pre-health office to see if they have a list of dentists who have done internships with the school before. If all that fails, then you try cold calling private practices, public health clinics, and maybe hospitals.

Once you get into one office, it is much easier to shadow a few more docs. Tell them you are interested in shadowing "blank" specialty and if they would know anyone. They will hook you up.