How can i get my science GPA with a business BA already

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dorothygreen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I got business BA abroad ten years ago. I am thinking to change my career in the U.S. and go to dental school 2-4 years later. But I have never taken science courses before. I know if I apply a dental school, I need BA degree plus science course GPA plus DAT score.So I want to go to college to get my science GPA. But it seems there are seldom universities enrolled a double BA student around my area. I have a baby needed to be taken care. I do not want to go so far away from my family to study in recent 3 years. Is there anyone in such similar situation like me? If I just go to a community college to get my science GPA complete, does it make sense to apply a good dental school?
Thanks everyone here to share your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Dorothygreen, first of all welcome to this forum. As you mentioned in your post, there are two ways of getting those science prerequisites: a formal dental post-bacc program or a "DIY" program, where you go to a community college or a four year university and sign up for those required classes yourself.

I chose the community college route because of the cost and the intimate class size, which allowed me to build great relationship with my professors.

These are the classes you'll have to take:

Required:
Biology I, II
General Chemistry I, II
Organic Chemistry I, II
Physics I, II
Biochemistry (Can only take this at a four-year university)

Optional (For some dental schools):
Two biology electives, I chose Microbiology and Anatomy

One thing that is very important that'll save you time is that you DO NOT have to finish all your prerequisites before you apply. As long as you finish them before you matriculate, you'll be fine.

For us non-traditional students, science GPA and DAT score are very important because they are the only academic metric that dental school can use to compare us to traditional students.

Besides schooling, you will also have to find a dentist to shadow. I asked my own dentist and fortunately he's nice enough to let me shadow him. Also if you have extra time, which I know might be difficult for you, you could also look to volunteer (dental or non-dental related). Dental school really likes philanthropic applicants.

If you really want to become a dentist, I'd suggest to get started as soon as possible so that you'll have plenty of time to prepare.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Dorothygreen, first of all welcome to this forum. As you mentioned in your post, there are two ways of getting those science prerequisites: a formal dental post-bacc program or a "DIY" program, where you go to a community college or a four year university and sign up for those required classes yourself.

I chose the community college route because of the cost and the intimate class size, which allowed me to build great relationship with my professors.

These are the classes you'll have to take:

Required:
Biology I, II
General Chemistry I, II
Organic Chemistry I, II
Physics I, II
Biochemistry (Can only take this at a four-year university)

Optional (For some dental schools):
Two biology electives, I chose Microbiology and Anatomy

One thing that is very important that'll save you time is that you DO NOT have to finish all your prerequisites before you apply. As long as you finish them before you matriculate, you'll be fine.

For us non-traditional students, science GPA and DAT score are very important because they are the only academic metric that dental school can use to compare us to traditional students.

Besides schooling, you will also have to find a dentist to shadow. I asked my own dentist and fortunately he's nice enough to let me shadow him. Also if you have extra time, which I know might be difficult for you, you could also look to volunteer (dental or non-dental related). Dental school really likes philanthropic applicants.

If you really want to become a dentist, I'd suggest to get started as soon as possible so that you'll have plenty of time to prepare.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

have fun being in shock when you find out very few school accept community college classes for prereq (which you may have to come back and retake all those class at university level). ALWAYS, MUST take all prereq and upper div bio at 4 year university or 4 year college except like 1-2 non necessary classes at CC.

Members don't see this ad :)
have fun being in shock when you find out very few school accept community college classes for prereq (which you may have to come back and retake all those class at university level). ALWAYS, MUST take all prereq and upper div bio at 4 year university or 4 year college except like 1-2 non necessary classes at CC.

I agree that taking prerequisites at a four year university is looked upon more favorably by dental schools. If you have time and money to spare, by all means take them at a four year university. It'll definitely be the safer choice. I had my reasons for taking prereqs at CC and I was willing to take the risk. Fortunately I have received pre-December interviews and hopefully I'll get in this cycle.

Thanks a lot for the advice from all of you. I am thinking to go to the university,but two universities near my house already refused to enroll me because I have had a BA. So if I have to take some courses in a four year university,there will be a problem for me maybe. @ggy is right, considering the cost and the flexibility,to go to a community college is really another way because I may have no better chioce. I have the confidence to get good score in SciGPA, and as a nontraditional student, I know taking every step might be more difficult than the others. I am going to keep trying to contact the four year universities to figure out if they have any programs that I can take. Good luck for everyone. This is my first time to post a thread in this forum and I got so many valuable replies, I am encouraged to move on...
Thanks so much.

They wont accept you because you already have a BA? Did you apply as a undergraduate? I went back to school after being out for a few years and took all the necessary prerequisites described above. I applied as a second bachelors student and got accepted to 3 state schools no problem. They were happy to take my money. I too would suggest NOT going the CC route.

Where are you located?