How can I get veterinary experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephrp

B.S. Biology & Wildlife Conservation c/o 2018
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of experience volunteering at shelters and at my local zoo, but I have absolutely no veterinary experience. I've seen the amount of hours applicants have on other threads at the time they apply but I can't imagine how I would fit all of those hours in if I didn't start immediately. I have called and/or emailed about 30-40 different animal hospitals, vet clinics, adoption clinics, etc within a 50 mile radius asking if they had any shadowing or volunteering opportunities, but not a single one was able to offer me the opportunity due to either "insurance/liability issues" or "we don't do that here". I've also been consistently looking online for work opportunities but most places seem to want a veterinary technician (which my college offers but would take an additonal 1 1/2 of schooling) or veterinary assistant who has years of experience. I'm willing to clean kennels, sweep floors, whatever it takes to get my foot in the door.

I'm kind of frustrated. Each time I've asked to speak to a manager or veterinarian and explained the situation, but I can't seem to find a place that is willing to give me the time of day. I speak clearly and am polite, and I let them know my college experience (currently one semester away from my Associates), volunteer experience, and future goals if they give me the time to get any of that in. I've dropped of my resume and cover letter at maybe 20 locations and when I call back a week later, I am told I will be called back at a specific time and never am, or that they don't have anymore volunteer positions open, etc. I have a nice resume, good cover letter, decent work experience (2 years at a big box retailer, 1 year working at a card store at the same time, and 1 year as a pharmacy technician).

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried asking to shadow the vet at the shelter where you volunteer?
Our shelter doesn't have a staff veterinarian. It's full of volunteers who have worked with animals in the past, previous vet techs, people like that. Same with my zoo. We have wildlife rehabilitators and people with biology degrees, but that's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our shelter doesn't have a staff veterinarian. It's full of volunteers who have worked with animals in the past, previous vet techs, people like that. Same with my zoo. We have wildlife rehabilitators and people with biology degrees, but that's about it.

I would think that the zoo would have at least a consulting vet? I would see if you could observe them next time they are there.

Reactions: 1 user
Who handles the medical care and surgery for the animals then? Do they have a volunteer vet who comes in to do spays and neuters and such?

How are you asking the places you've called? I mean.... as far as private practice shadowing, I shadowed at four different places, primarily .... and those were the only four I approached. Seems weird that you've called "30-40" and gotten told no at ALL of them. So... what are you asking when you call them?

I would tell them that you're interested in finding out more about what it's like to be a vet, and that you'd like to spend one day with one. Don't go in there trying to get a regular gig .... I know *I'd* never say 'yes' to some unknown person coming in and asking to spend time with me regularly/indefinitely. Just one day takes the pressure off everyone, because if you didn't like them, or they didn't like you - no harm, no foul, and no awkward "we don't need you to volunteer anymore" conversations.

Sending them your resume may be suggesting to them that you're looking for more of a permanent, regular position.

I would avoid the term 'volunteer' in a private practice. I'm sure it works for some vets and some practices, but I'd be more willing to take someone who wants to shadow than someone who wants to volunteer: the latter term suggests a more active role, which would make me more leery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I would think that the zoo would have at least a consulting vet? I would see if you could observe them next time they are there.
As far as I know they don't have a vet. There are a couple staff members dedicated to keeping up with basic dental care and exams. I will have to ask next time I'm there.

Who handles the medical care and surgery for the animals then? Do they have a volunteer vet who comes in to do spays and neuters and such?
The shelter has some kind of agreement with a different spay/neuter clinic where they are first sent to that clinic and then brought to the shelter. The clinic is not accepting volunteers. I would ask further but I don't want to seem rude by asking again.

How are you asking the places you've called? I mean.... as far as private practice shadowing, I shadowed at four different places, primarily .... and those were the only four I approached. Seems weird that you've called "30-40" and gotten told no at ALL of them. So... what are you asking when you call them? I would tell them that you're interested in finding out more about what it's like to be a vet, and that you'd like to spend one day with one. Don't go in there trying to get a regular gig .... I know *I'd* never say 'yes' to some unknown person coming in and asking to spend time with me regularly/indefinitely. Just one day takes the pressure off everyone, because if you didn't like them, or they didn't like you - no harm, no foul, and no awkward "we don't need you to volunteer anymore" conversations. Sending them your resume may be suggesting to them that you're looking for more of a permanent, regular position. I would avoid the term 'volunteer' in a private practice. I'm sure it works for some vets and some practices, but I'd be more willing to take someone who wants to shadow than someone who wants to volunteer: the latter term suggests a more active role, which would make me more leery.

I have been contacting various places for about six months. I started in my town and the surrounded towns, and within the last two or three months I have checked into other locations out of state and an hour's drive away. I have been focusing on volunteering more than shadowing so perhaps I'll approach them of the places again with more a shadowing intention. I agree with what you're saying about making in awkward for everyone. I was also emailing my resume when contacting online and giving a cover letter and resume when actually going in. A lot of places wouldn't accept my resume because they didn't accept volunteers or shadowing for insurance purposes.

Also just out of curiosity - how often did you shadow? Was it like, come in at this time every week, or how did that work?

I also started approaching with "I'm at this school studying this, with an interest in veterinary medicine and I would like to gain some experience working with animals". I started saying I wanted to see what it was like to be a veterinarian. At animal hospitals I would tell them I wasn't sure what kind of vet environment I wanted to aim for and wanted to see if it was a right fit. I said things like that when I called and went more into depth when I contacted them through email.

Also just out of curiosity - how often did you shadow? Was it like, come in at this time every week, or how did that work?

I also started approaching with "I'm at this school studying this, with an interest in veterinary medicine and I would like to gain some experience working with animals". I started saying I wanted to see what it was like to be a veterinarian. At animal hospitals I would tell them I wasn't sure what kind of vet environment I wanted to aim for and wanted to see if it was a right fit. I said things like that when I called and went more into depth when I contacted them through email.

Well, I did what I suggested you do. I found some places to which I had a connection (however slight). One was my parent's vet. One was a classmate's husband's second cousin, or some such distant relative thing. Another was a vet my sister leased a horse from. That sort of thing. Then I approached them and said "Hey, I'd like to find out what your day to day life is like as a vet - can I come hang out for a day?"

At one of them, I enjoyed my day and just said "Hey, this was interesting. Can I come back again next week?"

It just ... morphed into a regular thing. I'd check their schedule and see when things looked interesting, and I'd show up. Kinda became the clinic ghost.

I also did volunteer things, though. I volunteered at a wildlife rehab place for a year, and I volunteered in canine rehab at our teaching hospital for two years. But those were places specifically looking for volunteers.

I guess the advice I'd emphasize for you is to go slow - don't go looking for marriage when you haven't had a first date, yanno? Just ask if you can hang out for one day and watch. Go from there.

Reactions: 1 users
I also had some trouble in my initial searching because at the time, I didn't know that "shadowing" was a better term to use rather than "volunteering." Despite that, I was able to find several places where I was able to go shadow/volunteer as often as I wanted to. I believe I'm from your area, if you want to PM me, I might have names of places that you haven't contacted.

Well, I did what I suggested you do. I found some places to which I had a connection (however slight). One was my parent's vet. One was a classmate's husband's second cousin, or some such distant relative thing. Another was a vet my sister leased a horse from. That sort of thing. Then I approached them and said "Hey, I'd like to find out what your day to day life is like as a vet - can I come hang out for a day?" At one of them, I enjoyed my day and just said "Hey, this was interesting. Can I come back again next week?" It just ... morphed into a regular thing. I'd check their schedule and see when things looked interesting, and I'd show up. Kinda became the clinic ghost. I also did volunteer things, though. I volunteered at a wildlife rehab place for a year, and I volunteered in canine rehab at our teaching hospital for two years. But those were places specifically looking for volunteers. I guess the advice I'd emphasize for you is to go slow - don't go looking for marriage when you haven't had a first date, yanno? Just ask if you can hang out for one day and watch. Go from there.
Thanks for the advice :) I will try what you did.

I also had some trouble in my initial searching because at the time, I didn't know that "shadowing" was a better term to use rather than "volunteering." Despite that, I was able to find several places where I was able to go shadow/volunteer as often as I wanted to. I believe I'm from your area, if you want to PM me, I might have names of places that you haven't contacted.
I'm from Philadelphia but currently live in Western Mass for school. But thanks :)

I'm from Philadelphia but currently live in Western Mass for school. But thanks :)

Oh, okay! Definitely go with asking to come in one day at a time then. I also had better luck with ER clinics, since they're open 24/7 they seem to be more willing to take volunteers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Try phoning the vet clinic your pets go to (assuming you have pets). That's how I started. I took my dog in for an exam, expressed my interest in becoming a vet to the attending vet, and he let me start shadowing. I shadowed there weekly for about a year then I started working there.

Does your university have a pre-vet club you could get involved with? They may have good shadowing opportunities. You can also check if there are any research labs at your school - sometimes vets oversee them/work in them and that's still valid veterinary experience to shadow a laboratory vet, if allowed.

Try phoning the vet clinic your pets go to (assuming you have pets). That's how I started. I took my dog in for an exam, expressed my interest in becoming a vet to the attending vet, and he let me start shadowing. I shadowed there weekly for about a year then I started working there. Does your university have a pre-vet club you could get involved with? They may have good shadowing opportunities. You can also check if there are any research labs at your school - sometimes vets oversee them/work in them and that's still valid veterinary experience to shadow a laboratory vet, if allowed.
I haven't found a veterinarian for my cat since I moved. (I know this sounds so awful but my cat is fine and doesn't need a vet right now.)

The university I will be attending in September has a pre-vet club. I actually joined and consulted their Facebook group page before posting my other thread about their animal science major. :) I will be able to find somewhere to shadow with their help without a doubt. It's just between now and then that's a problem.

I don't know if price is a big factor for you (then again, money is a big factor for everyone!) but you could do one of the pre-vet abroad trips for a week or a month even, if you have the time/money and get some cool vet experience and shadowing time. Programs such as VIDA, ISIS Belize, etc

You might be able to call your IS school and ask them if they know if any of their graduates are in your area and might allow you to shadow.

I don't know if price is a big factor for you (then again, money is a big factor for everyone!) but you could do one of the pre-vet abroad trips for a week or a month even, if you have the time/money and get some cool vet experience and shadowing time. Programs such as VIDA, ISIS Belize, etc
I have plans to look into abroad experience if I can find funding through the school. I'm too old/independent to work anything less than 30-40 hours and even then I'm struggling, so that's really the only way that it could happen. I had a friend who's parents paid $10k so her and her friend could go to India and participate in a month-long elephant rehabilitation program. If only I had rich parents :whistle:

You might be able to call your IS school and ask them if they know if any of their graduates are in your area and might allow you to shadow.
I think this is a good idea, but do you think the school would be willing to give that information out?

Really? You've tallied 30-40 clinics, and NONE will take you on?

Do what LIS suggested, for sure. Also emphasize that you are completely understanding if they won't allow anything hands-on, but that you just want to watch the doctor do doctor things. A lot of clinics assume shadows want to jump into injections and restraint, and that's where liability issues come in.

Really? You've tallied 30-40 clinics, and NONE will take you on?

Do what LIS suggested, for sure. Also emphasize that you are completely understanding if they won't allow anything hands-on, but that you just want to watch the doctor do doctor things. A lot of clinics assume shadows want to jump into injections and restraint, and that's where liability issues come in.
Yes, over about six months. Most of the reasoning was liability issues. I did emphasize volunteering more than shadowing and so I'll definitely take a less in-your-face approach :)

Yes, over about six months. Most of the reasoning was liability issues. I did emphasize volunteering more than shadowing and so I'll definitely take a less in-your-face approach :)
Right, but I think you should mention that you just want to watch. Saying "volunteering" instead of "shadowing" doesn't really mean anything....there's no set boundaries that differentiate volunteering and shadowing. If you say you just want to be in the room but don't need to have animal contact, you might have better results.

I think this is a good idea, but do you think the school would be willing to give that information out?
It certainly can't hurt to call and ask. The worst they could say is no.

I haven't found a veterinarian for my cat since I moved. (I know this sounds so awful but my cat is fine and doesn't need a vet right now.)

That's a horrible attitude for someone who wants to become a vet! You have a PCP even though you're "fine" right?

Schedule an annual wellness visit for your cat and explain to the vet that you are interested in vet school. Show some enthusiasm and ask if s/he would be willing to have you shadow for a day so that you can get a sense of what a work day is like for a general practitioner. It's a lot harder for people to ignore you that way. And then follow up to make it happen, and don't just wait for them to throw down a red carpet for you.

That's a horrible attitude for someone who wants to become a vet! You have a PCP even though you're "fine" right?

Schedule an annual wellness visit for your cat and explain to the vet that you are interested in vet school. Show some enthusiasm and ask if s/he would be willing to have you shadow for a day so that you can get a sense of what a work day is like for a general practitioner. It's a lot harder for people to ignore you that way. And then follow up to make it happen, and don't just wait for them to throw down a red carpet for you.
No, I see the doctor when I'm visibly sick to the point of not being able to function because that's what I can afford. My cat was receiving annual check ups for 16 years. Not a single vet visit showed anything other than "your cat is doing well". She's up to date on all of her shots. She has gone two years without an annual visit. I haven't taken her because I'm now supporting myself on a very low hourly rate and pay for classes out of pocket. I would love to take her in and have her looked at, but when the veterinarian decides to do additional tests on her due to age, I can't afford to send them a check every week to pay for the tests. Payment plans aren't an option right now. "Then you shouldn't have a cat if you can't afford one." Except it was either "take the cat or I will put her down" and it's awfully hard to find someone to take an elderly cat. I don't think it's a horrible attitude to have and I'm sorry you feel that way.

When I do have the money to bring her in, I think it would be a great idea to bring up shadowing!

No, I see the doctor when I'm visibly sick to the point of not being able to function because that's what I can afford. My cat was receiving annual check ups for 16 years. Not a single vet visit showed anything other than "your cat is doing well". She's up to date on all of her shots. She has gone two years without an annual visit. I haven't taken her because I'm now supporting myself on a very low hourly rate and pay for classes out of pocket. I would love to take her in and have her looked at, but when the veterinarian decides to do additional tests on her due to age, I can't afford to send them a check every week to pay for the tests. Payment plans aren't an option right now. "Then you shouldn't have a cat if you can't afford one." Except it was either "take the cat or I will put her down" and it's awfully hard to find someone to take an elderly cat. I don't think it's a horrible attitude to have and I'm sorry you feel that way.

When I do have the money to bring her in, I think it would be a great idea to bring up shadowing!

Then tell them you don't have the money for that stuff... you can decline bloodwork. Annual examination for pets is still very important, especially an older cat, even if you can't afford bloodwork, the vet can give a good exam and possibly pick up on something that you would never notice...

You're putting words into my mouth. I was not making any judgments on your particular situation, or about whether you should own this cat or not.

I still stand by my opinion that "my cat doesn't need a vet because she is fine" is a poor attitude. If you can't see why, you need to figure it out if this is a career you want to pursue.

There's a difference between I can't afford care, and my cat doesn't need care. You stated the latter.

I don't mean to come off saying my cat doesn't need care. She needs care, but at this point in time she will survive without it. When my cat has a different owner in September after I transfer, she will receive a vet visit from the veterinarian that owner selects. I understand what you're saying but I don't believe it's a reason to reevaluate my career choice.

I don't mean to come off saying my cat doesn't need care. She needs care, but at this point in time she will survive without it. When my cat has a different owner in September after I transfer, she will receive a vet visit from the veterinarian that owner selects. I understand what you're saying but I don't believe it's a reason to reevaluate my career choice.

Blergh... Maybe you didn't mean it, but you said it. You explicitly said "my cat is fine and doesn't need a vet right now." That is the statement I was referring to. Look at that statement objectively without bringing in unnecessary details about your cat. If you truly believe that pets that seem "fine" in the opinion of lay pet owners don't need vets, then yes, I think you need to contemplate this career path further.

Like I said, it's not about your situation with your cat. I honestly don't care what you do or don't do with your cat. Really I don't. If you can't provide vet care financially, you can't and that's fine. It doesn't necessarily make you a bad person or a bad owner. But that doesn't change the fact that regular routine veterinary care is important for optimizing the health of pets.

My cat's needed a dental for probably the past year. She developed at least one more resorptive lesion since her last dental 3 years ago, and that is painful. For one reason or another, I have not been able to provide that for her. It's awful and I feel terrible about it. Like you, I plan on doing it as soon as I can get all my ducks in a row (she needs an echo, full bloodwork, and a consult with a dentist to have this done at a university hospital... and the cash to fund all that). Does that make me a bad owner or a bad vet? No. BUT if I didn't believe in the importance of dental health, I would be a TERRIBLE vet. Hope you can see the difference there.

Yes, I believe she is fine without a vet right now. She's not great and overly healthy like she may become if I take her to a vet, but she's fine. I understand the importance of annual vet visits. I'm not saying she shouldn't have them. Our opinions aren't going to change and so I would really appreciate it if we could focus on my original post.

I hate to beat a dead horse but...

Why are you giving up your cat when you transfer?

And sometimes vet clinics will give free first office visits. You don't have to do everything they recommend but you should have a vet that knows her history if something happens.

I was just going to add what dy just said. At the very least, you should have a clinic you can go to. Do you already have ALL of her records with you? If not, I suggest you get those together immediately. Since you do not have a vet at this time, you'll have a hard time getting that information to the vet you randomly decide on in an emergency.

If your cat hasn't been to the vet in two years, I'm going to assume she's out of date for her vaccines, likely rabies and potentially FVRCP. I can see where Minnerbelle is coming from when she is doubtful of your career choice. Any prevet should know that vaccines are important (although how often they are needed is being questioned).

You have options that I'm not sure you know about. Every city has a low cost vax clinic. Petsmarts, your local Tractor Supply Co., the local shelter. You can get low cost exams and vaccines there. I'm talking walking out for under $50, and that's a high estimate. Eat only ramen for a month like ever college kid, and those funds should pop up. At the very least, hand her over to a new owner who will pay for her care sooner. I've been told that bloodwork isn't something that should be skipped for elderly pets.

If your cat hasn't been to the vet in two years, I'm going to assume she's out of date for her vaccines, likely rabies and potentially FVRCP
many vaccines, especially for cats, are given every 3 years. Including rabies and FVRCP. FeLV is more often a 1 year vaccine (though there is a 2 year vaccine on the market and it's not recommended unless your cat meets some risk factors).

I have a lot of experience volunteering at shelters and at my local zoo, but I have absolutely no veterinary experience. I've seen the amount of hours applicants have on other threads at the time they apply but I can't imagine how I would fit all of those hours in if I didn't start immediately. I have called and/or emailed about 30-40 different animal hospitals, vet clinics, adoption clinics, etc within a 50 mile radius asking if they had any shadowing or volunteering opportunities, but not a single one was able to offer me the opportunity due to either "insurance/liability issues" or "we don't do that here". I've also been consistently looking online for work opportunities but most places seem to want a veterinary technician (which my college offers but would take an additonal 1 1/2 of schooling) or veterinary assistant who has years of experience. I'm willing to clean kennels, sweep floors, whatever it takes to get my foot in the door.

I'm kind of frustrated. Each time I've asked to speak to a manager or veterinarian and explained the situation, but I can't seem to find a place that is willing to give me the time of day. I speak clearly and am polite, and I let them know my college experience (currently one semester away from my Associates), volunteer experience, and future goals if they give me the time to get any of that in. I've dropped of my resume and cover letter at maybe 20 locations and when I call back a week later, I am told I will be called back at a specific time and never am, or that they don't have anymore volunteer positions open, etc. I have a nice resume, good cover letter, decent work experience (2 years at a big box retailer, 1 year working at a card store at the same time, and 1 year as a pharmacy technician).

Any suggestions?
Looking for thoughts on my original post.

Looking for thoughts on my original post.
You've already gotten some excellent advice on it. I would take it to heart and start there. Also you don't need to give a lot of information: "Hi I'm stephrp and am looking to gain veterinary experience through shadowing." Then answer questions that they ask. Volunteering too much info too quickly can be a turn off.

I would never recommend them to anyone.
Yeah i wouldn't either. But if a low cost clinic is the only option....
many vaccines, especially for cats, are given every 3 years. Including rabies and FVRCP. FeLV is more often a 1 year vaccine (though there is a 2 year vaccine on the market and it's not recommended unless your cat meets some risk factors).
I have only seen 1 year rabies for cats, so that's good to know. I know FVRCP is every 3, which is why I said the cat is potentially out of date. is cat rabies the same as dog where the vaccine is licensed for 3, but is the same vaccine as the one year?

I have only seen 1 year rabies for cats, so that's good to know. I know FVRCP is every 3, which is why I said the cat is potentially out of date. is cat rabies the same as dog where the vaccine is licensed for 3, but is the same vaccine as the one year?
yup. Unless you do purevax. And I'm not sure on purevax.

yeah, there's a difference between going to a low cost clinic that is a non-profit and TSC vaccines. Usually the non-profit will still stock vaccines through Merck, Zoetis, BI, etc. There's a reason they are the ones that private practices use. I've had more people describe failures with TSC vaccines and they aren't the same.

I was just going to mention this but you beat me to it.
I really want to carry it. but that means charging a client $40-50 to give their cat a rabies vaccine. And not enough people think it's worth it. I can only do so much education.

Especially when other 3 year rabies vaccines cost $2.10 a dose.

I really want to carry it. but that means charging a client $40-50 to give their cat a rabies vaccine. And not enough people think it's worth it. I can only do so much education.

Especially when other 3 year rabies vaccines cost $2.10 a dose.

Yeah, that's basically the reasons we're not carrying it. We don't think people would pay that when they complain about $20 vaccines. Also, other vets I've talked to said they kind of wanted to wait and see how it was tolerated in the real world. I haven't really read up on it myself (forgot about it until just now), so I don't know all the details on the studies done.

Yeah, that's basically the reasons we're not carrying it. We don't think people would pay that when they complain about $20 vaccines. Also, other vets I've talked to said they kind of wanted to wait and see how it was tolerated in the real world. I haven't really read up on it myself (forgot about it until just now), so I don't know all the details on the studies done.
yup. This is also a big part of it.

They recently released a 10 dose tray. because they recognized 25 doses was ridiculously expensive....

The clinic I work for carries it, but really only for people that have super fractious cats. For the most part, once people hear it's nearly three times the cost of the yearly, they just opt for the yearly. Except for the people with fractious cats, or ones that get fractious when you try to vaccinate them. Those people definitely feel its worth it for their cats sake. Still, we only stock one tray of 3 years at a time, and the vet doesn't really discuss that option with most clients, since a lot of people only really remember to come in for an exam to have rabies updated in the first place.

I have a lot of experience volunteering at shelters and at my local zoo, but I have absolutely no veterinary experience. I've seen the amount of hours applicants have on other threads at the time they apply but I can't imagine how I would fit all of those hours in if I didn't start immediately. I have called and/or emailed about 30-40 different animal hospitals, vet clinics, adoption clinics, etc within a 50 mile radius asking if they had any shadowing or volunteering opportunities, but not a single one was able to offer me the opportunity due to either "insurance/liability issues" or "we don't do that here". I've also been consistently looking online for work opportunities but most places seem to want a veterinary technician (which my college offers but would take an additional 1 1/2 of schooling) or veterinary assistant who has years of experience. I'm willing to clean kennels, sweep floors, whatever it takes to get my foot in the door.

Any suggestions?

Does your school offer any farm practicum type courses or have research where they use large animal models? I learned a lot through participating in research that used horses (blood draws, catheterizing, suturing, how to scrub and keep things sterile, etc.) and also learned a lot through a cow practicum course (vaccinating, blood draws, some repro stuff, etc.). Learning how to draw blood and catheterize was helpful for getting my foot in the door to shadow/volunteer at an equine clinic. Try finding other pre-vet students near you and see where they shadowed. Sometimes if you have a friend who had a very positive experience you can mention their name and say "so and so recommended your clinic to me because they had a very positive experience" when you call to ask and it can help if the vets working there really liked your friend. Also, if your school has a pre-vet club I know people who found some shadowing opportunities through clubs.

yup. This is also a big part of it.

They recently released a 10 dose tray. because they recognized 25 doses was ridiculously expensive....

Oooh good to know. We aren't carrying it because it was so much $$$ to order the tray, and I'd be surprised if we had enough people go for it. We do have a lot of clients who use the 3yr Imrab on their cats (barn cats/outdoor cats), so I'm not sure if they would spring for the extra money, but good to know it does come in smaller trays now.

Is it actually different from the one year purevax, or just different labeling?

The clinic I work for carries it, but really only for people that have super fractious cats. For the most part, once people hear it's nearly three times the cost of the yearly, they just opt for the yearly. Except for the people with fractious cats, or ones that get fractious when you try to vaccinate them. Those people definitely feel its worth it for their cats sake. Still, we only stock one tray of 3 years at a time, and the vet doesn't really discuss that option with most clients, since a lot of people only really remember to come in for an exam to have rabies updated in the first place.

I don't get this, and I'm sure it's going to drive me crazy when I'm out in practice. It's three times the cost.... but it lasts for three years, and it's non-adjuvanted!It wasn't even something I thought twice about when our GP service asked if I wanted the 3yr, even though with their student pricing it was more like 4x the price of a normal one.

Last edited: