How can I help my intern boyfriend?

girl8282

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, my boyfriend is a new intern, who just moved to the US. Neither of us are American, and we are currently in an LDR (7000 miles :eek:).

I am very worried about him. Not only is he alone in a foreign country and English is not his first language, but he is having such a hard time with the workload, as I am sure all residents do. I didn't know anything about residency before this as I am not in a medical field, and I have been reading so many horror stories over the past few weeks about what residency actually entails. Now I think all doctors are heroes!!

So far things between us are fine, he makes the effort to text me a couple of times a day even though he is consistently working 14+ hours a day and is exhausted. But he has said that he is really struggling and he misses me a lot. I've tried encouraging him but i think that my words are useless since I cannot be there in person to reassure him and even though I am trying my very best to understand his job, I will never be able to know what he is going through.

I just really want some advice from partner's of residents or residents themselves about what I can do to make him feel better. Especially if you ave also been in a long-distance relationship!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, my boyfriend is a new intern, who just moved to the US. Neither of us are American, and we are currently in an LDR (7000 miles :eek:).

I am very worried about him. Not only is he alone in a foreign country and English is not his first language, but he is having such a hard time with the workload, as I am sure all residents do. I didn't know anything about residency before this as I am not in a medical field, and I have been reading so many horror stories over the past few weeks about what residency actually entails. Now I think all doctors are heroes!!

So far things between us are fine, he makes the effort to text me a couple of times a day even though he is consistently working 14+ hours a day and is exhausted. But he has said that he is really struggling and he misses me a lot. I've tried encouraging him but i think that my words are useless since I cannot be there in person to reassure him and even though I am trying my very best to understand his job, I will never be able to know what he is going through.

I just really want some advice from partner's of residents or residents themselves about what I can do to make him feel better. Especially if you ave also been in a long-distance relationship!

Just listen to him. Most of the time what we need is to vent! Let him cry if he needs to.