How can I improve my chances of getting into a MHA program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssg2092

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I'm currently in my fourth year of college doing B.S in Kinesiology. I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd repost this question.I want to get into John Hopkins for their MHA program or any colleges that has a field placement opportunity. I'm planning to take a year off before I apply to a MHA program. I have a low GPA of 2.8( I also have a strong reason for a low GPA), have yet to take the GRE and no experience. I plan on working as a scribe in a hospital once I graduate. What are the other things I can do to gain leadership experiences in a year? How can I do it?How can I make my profile stand out with such a low GPA and show the colleges with confidence that I can be a good candidate regardless the low GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to kill your GRE. Also internships and other work experiences will help, especially relevant ones. Pretty much the only 2 things you can do that is in your control. Also reach out to admissions and start talking to them early.....if you're constantly communicating with them, they may recognize your name when it becomes time to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with killing the GRE and getting a few more years of experience.

Based on my conversations with admissions committees, it would be more beneficial for you to get a job that offers a better healthcare or public health experience than a scribe. Obviously being a scribe is much better than slinging drinks in your neighborhood bar, but you may want to take a look at Community HealthCorps, PeaceCorps, or other public health related jobs if you don't yet have the skills and knowledge to land an entry level healthcare management/consulting position.

I also agree with doing very well on the GRE and more than 1 year of experience. But again, make the experience as special as possible. Think about how you will convince someone in your interview that your position was fantastic and a great learning experience.

Last edited:
I agree with Emma1600. Since Affordable Care Act has been implemented and things are in full swing, I would look into community initiatives for community outreach projects. If that's not possible, check your state govt. offices to see if they'll take interns for health admin related work.