How can I prepare for the NEXT admission cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aristen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’m in my third year of my undergrad, planning on applying to optometry for the entering class of 2017 as soon as possible in July. I have a few questions about the application process and what I can do between now and then so I’m ready to go as soon as OptomCAS opens in July?.

Should I ask my references in, say, June to give them ample notice for a reference letter so I'll have my letters ready to go in July? If so, is there a prompt for the reference letters or something specific that the letters must include?

I think I read on here somewhere that OptomCAS needs a physical copy of my transcript sent from the school. Is it possible for me to have that sent before July, so they have it when applications open?

Is there anything else I can do? I’ve written my OAT, now I’m just waiting to apply and I want to apply as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Aristen!

I had asked my professors months in advance for my letters and told them I would email them when the application opens. I also gave them a few "cheat sheets" so if they needed more material to use they had the info on hand. I gave each writer a folder containing a list of the courses I took with them and the grade I received, some qualities of mine that show I would make a great doctor, and a sheet containing all of my extra curricular activities including school clubs, volunteer hours, and significant contributions to my major. What happens is you will enter your letter writers emails into OptomCAS and they send them a link to submit their letters and answer a short series of questions about the applicant (you). OptomCAS suggests you email the professors as well just to make sure the link didn't go to spam. You are also allowed to set the deadline for the letter writers, I gave them an August deadline, but you can submit your application before the letters are in.

As far as transcripts there is a paper that needs to be sent with the transcripts that optomCAS provides so as soon as you log in you can print this sheet and bring it to your school to attach to you official transcripts. This only needs to be done once, then optomCAS will give all the schools you apply to access to your transcripts. You will also fill your transcripts in by hand, go slow and make sure they match up to the official ones.

Applying is an exciting time! Sounds like you are gonna be on top of it and ready to go! Good luck!!

p.s. This website does good breaking it down for you it has a part 1 and 2:

http://optometryadmissions.com/applying-through-optomcas-your-application-through-its-stages/

Hi Aristen!

I had asked my professors months in advance for my letters and told them I would email them when the application opens. I also gave them a few "cheat sheets" so if they needed more material to use they had the info on hand. I gave each writer a folder containing a list of the courses I took with them and the grade I received, some qualities of mine that show I would make a great doctor, and a sheet containing all of my extra curricular activities including school clubs, volunteer hours, and significant contributions to my major. What happens is you will enter your letter writers emails into OptomCAS and they send them a link to submit their letters and answer a short series of questions about the applicant (you). OptomCAS suggests you email the professors as well just to make sure the link didn't go to spam. You are also allowed to set the deadline for the letter writers, I gave them an August deadline, but you can submit your application before the letters are in.

As far as transcripts there is a paper that needs to be sent with the transcripts that optomCAS provides so as soon as you log in you can print this sheet and bring it to your school to attach to you official transcripts. This only needs to be done once, then optomCAS will give all the schools you apply to access to your transcripts. You will also fill your transcripts in by hand, go slow and make sure they match up to the official ones.

Applying is an exciting time! Sounds like you are gonna be on top of it and ready to go! Good luck!!

p.s. This website does good breaking it down for you it has a part 1 and 2:

http://optometryadmissions.com/applying-through-optomcas-your-application-through-its-stages/

Thanks so much! That's all so helpful!