How can I show that I'm a good fit if I'm interviewing at an OOS public med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The med school has a strong focus on creating primary care physicians for their local area. I don't foresee myself going into primary care or staying in the state after.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't fit the school's mission. You should have done your research before applying there.

Reactions: 1 users
The med school has a strong focus on creating primary care physicians for their local area. I don't foresee myself going into primary care or staying in the state after.
You are not a good fit! No amount of talking will convince them based on what you stated above. Are you wait listed at this school or going for an interview soon?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could always do what a lot of people I know do, lie your a** off. Now, I'm not recommending it, because keen interviewers spot insincerity from a mile away, but this is a consideration you should probably make before applying. If you dont fit the mission, don't apply!

The question would then be: "Why did you apply to this school?". However, i take it your desires are to specialize? Do you see yourself pursuing academic medicine?

I wouldn't focus on specializing vs primary care aspect. Rather, emphasizing a desire to train future physicians to serve the state could be a positive. I don't know why any medical school would discourage applicants from being future physician educators.

Hey, I got a novel idea. Tell the truth, "while I am not most interested in primary care or perhaps even practicing in the state, I am interested in getting a good medicaln education at an affordable price in this state school"
Never condoned lying, just stating that it does happen, unfortunately. I'm sure that you are aware of that. What I was trying to get across to OP is that while he/she could lie, I was not recommending it, as the person interviewing them will see right through it.

Just highlight your strengths and how you fit their mission other than geographic location. for example, if you want to go into primary care, and that's part of their mission, then tell them that. I interviewed at a school in a state I'd only driven through before, so I know it can be difficult being up against all the in-staters.

Depends on your situation, if you are in the position to get in elsewhere I would explore that option. Might also want to look at their match list and see if everyone is a PCP in the area. If this is somehow a last hope school you should lie and deny.

One option is saying you're open to the idea (which you should be becuase you never know what you'll end up liking in medical school, whether that's primary care, plastics, ENT, surg, ect- people's minds will always change). Now if you had no ties to the state whatsoever, then why did you apply lol.

"How can I pretend I'm a good fit if I'm interviewing at a school I'm not a good fit for?"

Reactions: 1 user
I think premeds overlook actually finding a place that is a good fit for them and focus on saying whatever they think schools want to hear.

Last edited:
Very simple. You can't. Why should the taxpayers supplement your tuition if you're going to bail on them????

OOS tuition is higher than in many private schools. It would seem that OOS students are supplementing the IS students in this case.

OOS tuition is higher than in many private schools. It would seem that OOS students are supplementing the IS students in this case.
And people continue to wonder why OOS tuition is so high...

Fake it 'til you make it. Research their mission statement/goals and tell them whatever they want to hear. DANCE MONKEY, DANCE.

Not exactly sure what kind of advice you were looking for here, other than this school doesn't seem to be your fit.

Unless you want to lie about your interests and plans for your future, there is not much else that you can say to make yourself "fit." Read over their mission again, does anything speak to you?

In the end, you can lie as much as you want, but if you can't speak with sincerity and conviction, your interviewer will see right through you.