How can I talk about my new research experiences in secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

london.smog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or more specifically, how do I explain it in the popular "what are you doing this year?" question.

I recently received a grant to do public health research in a conflict region and it's going to take up most of my time this coming year. For my secondaries/updates, I'm not sure how much is too much, and at what point does providing info become "name dropping." Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a similar thread. My questions boil down to:

Should I briefly describe my research/what I'll physically be doing there/both?
Should I put in contact info for the director of the department giving me the grant? (if they want to verify)
My advisor is faculty at a medical school, should I introduce him/her as Dr. Blank, professor of Blank at Blank SOM? or just Dr. Blank?
Should I include his/her contact info?
Should I mention any other faculty I will be working with by name?

It may seem like a stupid question, but I'm a reapplicant, and have only done minimal research in the past. This side of premed stuff is new to me, and would rather not mess up.

Members don't see this ad.

"what are you doing this year?"

Ans: I recently received a grant to do public health research in a conflict region.

Give a 1-2 sentence description.
Should I briefly describe my research/what I'll physically be doing there/both?

..."under the mentorship of Dr XXX, Dept of ___, X Univ School of Public Health

Should I put in contact info for the director of the department giving me the grant? (if they want to verify)
My advisor is faculty at a medical school, should I introduce him/her as Dr. Blank, professor of Blank at Blank SOM? or just Dr. Blank?

No
Should I include his/her contact info?

No
Should I mention any other faculty I will be working with by name?

Reactions: 1 user