how can IMGs apply for residency in brazil?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheranf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am IMG, i went to school in the carribean, i am U.S citizien. i have my usmle 1,2,3 + ecfmg. i would like to move to brazil permanently and do my residency there.

i was wondering if somebody could tell me how, foreign med.grads can go about getting a residency in brazil.

ty.

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to revalidate your medical degree. That is made through an exam (quite hard, actually, only a small percentage of applicants are approved) called "Revalida". After being approved on the exam, you would have to do the residency exam for the program you want. Each program has its own test, that generally includes a theoretical test and a practical one. There's a curriculum factor on getting accepeted on residencies, but the good news is that if you perform well on the exam, you're in (CV usually counts for only 10% of the score). You would also need to speak fluent Portuguese. Both tests (revalida and residency exams) can be made as many times as you want, so you can retake them if you fail). In Brazil there're many prep schools that help you to study for residency exams, but keep in mind they're very competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The REVALIDA exam isn't hard. There are many brazilians students who finished your studies in poor graduations in bolivia, argentina and cuba who dont pass in exam because they dont have capacity to recognize classics symptons and signals. This pass a false impression that the exam is hard.

In this link you can look the previous exams: http://portal.inep.gov.br/provas_e_gabaritos

Ps: i'm sorry for possibles english errors. i'm improving my skills.

Last edited: