How can you tell if conversational interviews went well, especially when they don't write anything ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I pretty much have started assuming that if we had a good conversation that means it went well. I mean there's minor clues you can pick up, based off their expressons and responses, but It's really hard to tell or get a good read off interviewers and most of them don't even seem to write stuff down, so i'm wondering how the evaluations even work when they dont even write stuff down about what I said. How can you tell if conversational interviews went well, especially when they don't write anything down? I'm also beginning to wonder if interviews are as important as they say they are, when what we say isnt even written down.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I pretty much have started assuming that if we had a good conversation that means it went well. I mean there's minor clues you can pick up, based off their expressons and responses, but It's really hard to tell or get a good read off interviewers and most of them don't even seem to write stuff down, so i'm wondering how the evaluations even work when they dont even write stuff down about what I said. How can you tell if conversational interviews went well, especially when they don't write anything down? I'm also beginning to wonder if interviews are as important as they say they are, when what we say isnt even written down.
You can't tell. Seasoned interviewers don't give cues.

Reactions: 1 users

1. Having seen both sides of the process, interviews are actually MORE important that they say they are. They tend to be the single most important factor if you get to that point. Definitely prepare and practice.

2. You will know you nailed the interview when you get a spot. Prior to that its just a biased guess.even if you don't get. Spot you may have done well. There are simply a lot of talented people on the interview trail. Some will be tough competition and just a Better fit at given programs. So you can have a pretty good interview and still come in second. In that case you probably land the next one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school, but as far as you know, the interview is the most important part, but all the interviewer is contributing to the discussion is "recommend for admission" vs. "recommend against admission." There is certainly no need to write anything down while you are in the room if all they are doing is giving their impression of you as a potential med student and doctor. Just because he or she didn't write out a transcript of everything you said doesn't mean their feedback isn't important.

Depends on the school, but as far as you know, the interview is the most important part, but all the interviewer is contributing to the discussion is "recommend for admission" vs. "recommend against admission." There is certainly no need to write anything down while you are in the room if all they are doing is giving their impression of you as a potential med student and doctor. Just because he or she didn't write out a transcript of everything you said doesn't mean their feedback isn't important.

Also, doctors take "histories" from patients all the time without playing stenographer. You get pretty good at remembering the stuff you find salient, and can always jot stuff down later. But yes, the gestalt big picture might just be how that interviewer likes to evaluate people.

OP, it seems the fact that your interviewer didn't write anything, you're at a loss. How does that make any difference? What if they wrote …. "This applicant keeps repeating the same thing over and over. He/She already made the point in the first or second sentence and now has to say the same thing four or five times …."

There was this ranking done by AMCAS where they surveyed schools about the most important things for an acceptance. Before interview, it's GPA/MCAT. After interview, it's interview/letters of recommendation. It makes sense because most everyone who interviewed has good stats, so you have to impress them in another way.

You can't.