How challenging is it to become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student144

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always love to help others, it's just one of my passions that I have, so therefore I've always wanted to have a career in healthcare. At first I wanted to become a pharmacist, but then I didn't like it as much when I was working as a pharmacy technician. I usually observed my pharmacist in my work, and I would say I would probably not work in pharmacy field for my entire life. So then I thought of becoming a physician because, I would say it's more interesting, and you're more interactive with the patients. I would also say my physician and others doctors I've met inspired me to become a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Your personal statement needs work.

That aside, a trauma surgery attending once told me that you just need to be smart enough to be a doc. They're not looking for rocket scientists. They're looking for people who have shown a commitment to helping people. This means hundreds of hospital volunteer hours working directly with patients, non-clinical volunteering serving those who may not have had the same luxuries and advantages you have (HFH is a great one), and other ventures into the field of medicine to get a better idea of what to expect (shadowing, research, tutoring/teaching).