How competitive are the two psych residencies in Pittsburgh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gunsandroses

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm settled in the Pittsburgh area and can't move (kid issues) but would really like to go into Psychiatry (child psychiatry ideally, but general psych would work too). The only residencies around here are UPMC and Allegheny General. Can anyone tell me how competitive they are? I'm also a DO, so there's that. Any info greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

DO here too. I have been happy with the allopathic interviews that I have received thus far. However, I do know that UPMC Psych. Residency Program is probably one of the most competitive psych. programs out there. From what I gather, it is nearly at the level of UCLA-Harbor and Harvard, specifically due to its impressive research funding/grants. From what I remember, they also do not have many DO's in their programs. I cannot speak for Alleghany.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm settled in the Pittsburgh area and can't move (kid issues) but would really like to go into Psychiatry (child psychiatry ideally, but general psych would work too). The only residencies around here are UPMC and Allegheny General. Can anyone tell me how competitive they are? I'm also a DO, so there's that. Any info greatly appreciated.

allegheny will be much easier to match into. However they may not have the fellowship you seek [a poster below corrected me - they have the child fellowship]. Pitt is outstanding and competitive; let them know your dedication to the city.

Also consider mogantown, WV and any other programs that are relatively close.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

UPMC- Very competitive. Research-focussed residency. So, it depends on your resume.

Allegheny- Not very competitive. You might have a better chance there. I know they have taken DOs in the past. In fact, their chief resident a few years back was a DO. They also have a Child fellowship.

Last edited:
I haven't worked there but from my limited knowledge UPMC is a top tier program, with a lot of good research, clinical oppurtunities & diversity.

Pittsburgh also is a nice city with a lot of young people because it has several colleges & universities. So if you go there for residency, aside from the program being good, you'll probably have a good time.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that you should consider the residency program in Morgantown, WV (WVU). I am a first year resident here and truly could not be happier or more impressed by my fellow residents, attendings, and program in general. Our program has been called a "hidden jewel" on this board in the past. We have a child psych fellowship which you can enter after your third year of residency (so you spend 5 years total). The fellowship is currently full and thriving and we just hired another full-time child psychiatrist in August. We are about 70 minutes from Pittsburgh.

Don't count yourself out of the running at Pitt because you're a DO. Pitt is research focused, but is not nearly as competitive as comparable programs in NY, Boston, SF or LA and I believe they have taken DOs in the past. I'd apply, in addition to other nearby places.

Don't count yourself out of the running at Pitt because you're a DO. Pitt is research focused, but is not nearly as competitive as comparable programs in NY, Boston, SF or LA and I believe they have taken DOs in the past. I'd apply, in addition to other nearby places.

Pitt currently has 2 DOs in their program. Good on them for looking at the complete candidate. And yes, it is a very competitive program.

For what it is worth, UCLA David Geffen has had at least one DO that I am aware of graduate from their prgram.

Competitive candidates come in all varieties, MD and DO.

I'll try to answer the question as impartially as possible (although I think AGH is a great place to train!).

WPIC and AGH have the only two psychiatry programs in Pittsburgh. WVU Morgantown is indeed nearby (~1 hour away). All three have child fellowships. The two Pittsburgh programs are very different-WPIC is large (77 residents) and has more psychiatric research grants than any program in the country. AGH is small (16 adult and 4 child spots) and is much more clinically based. WPIC graduates often go on to research careers across the nation. AGH graduates tend to stay in the Western Pennsylvania area and practice clinical psychiatry.
DO graduates who want to practice in Pennsylvania need to complete a transitional year or seek a waiver from the transitional year. AGH has been very accomodating to DO residents so that they can apply for the waiver (they need a couple of specific rotations). As a result, we have had a number of DOs come throught the program (8 in the past 8-10 years). WPIC has had a few DO's over the years. I can't speak to WV rules regarding DO training, or to how many DOs WVU has had.

"Competitiveness" is an interesting issue. We have 441 applications for 4 spots as of today. Many of them have well written personal statements, high test scores, psychiatry experiences and recommendation letters. That seems pretty competitive to me. However, I know that location and family issues are often very important factors to applicants. As a result, many of our applicants also have ties to the Western Pennsylvania area. Pittsburgh is a great place to live (and I'd welcome you here from wherever you may be located). I think all three programs provide good, solid training (although perhaps with different approaches and opportunities). Given your circumstances, I would encourage you to apply to all three, check them out and see which one is the best fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Bumping to see if any has any new info/reviews on AGH.