How Competitive are TYs vs PreLims

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Fleischman

I concur
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year in the HPSP program through the Air Force. I was just told we have to apply to internship PGY1s as well as our desired specialty (mine is EM). I would like to go right into EM training, but realistically I know a TY/prelim is a possibility. I'd rather do a TY and get some surgery AND medicine as opposed to just medicine or just surgery - of course a TY would allow some EM electives, as well.

I thought I read somewhere once that TY programs were very competitive. This would make sense since it's derm, rads and gas people applying for them, right? Am I right that they're average Step 1 is around 230? My score is a 226. Would I be better off applying for a prelim? How competitive are prelims? I'm sure it depends on the program, but just a general idea would be nice.

So I rambled a lot. To boil it down, my question is, how competitive are these internships? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year in the HPSP program through the Air Force. I was just told we have to apply to internship PGY1s as well as our desired specialty (mine is EM). I would like to go right into EM training, but realistically I know a TY/prelim is a possibility. I'd rather do a TY and get some surgery AND medicine as opposed to just medicine or just surgery - of course a TY would allow some EM electives, as well.

I thought I read somewhere once that TY programs were very competitive. This would make sense since it's derm, rads and gas people applying for them, right? Am I right that they're average Step 1 is around 230? My score is a 226. Would I be better off applying for a prelim? How competitive are prelims? I'm sure it depends on the program, but just a general idea would be nice.

So I rambled a lot. To boil it down, my question is, how competitive are these internships? Thanks.

The better lifestyle TYs tend to be the most competitive slots in the match because the cream of the advanced programs want them.
One suggestion though is that you are better off without taking EM rotations before you throw yourself into a 3 year EM program. Use that time to try other things. I know a few EM guys who did a year of surgery and felt it paid dividends. They got a ton of experience putting in lines and tubes, suturing, etc, and at the same time got to try their hand at another field they are not likely going to have the opportunity to do again. They will get more than enough EM in their next few years of EM. I wouldn't say finding a program that allows you a month of EM before you spend your entire rest of your working life doing EM a big bonus.

Reactions: 1 user
They're rather competitive--i matched into rads but not TY. I had a lot of hotshots on my TY interview trail--derms, optho, rads. But try to get them as they're easier. No one expects much from an intern who will only be around a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I need your input ASAP:
I'm a PGY-1 Surgery prelim because I didn't match in the military match last year. In the past 7 months of prelim surgery, despite receiving outstanding evaluations from attendings at this prestigious civilian program, I have been abused by the program with things such as working multiple months of nights straight, working 90+ hr weeks, working every single holiday so that the categoricals in the program can be with their families. I am a rocking tough soldier, so I never complained about it, but as of Dec.17th I have now matched into a military residency of my dreams starting next year in a primary care specialty, No longer interested anything Surgery as I have found my passion in helping others through prevention of disease. Of note, I have also passed Step 3 with outstanding scores and I'm loved universally in the program for being a teamplayer who gets everything done. However I don't feel the same way about them as they feel about me and I need to leave ASAP as my health is declining due to the stress. HOW DO I LEAVE THIS CIVILIAN PROGRAM NOW? Another important point is that this internship year is meaningless in that it will not count toward my new primary care specialty (I have to repeat intern year) only this time in a nonabusive program.

Guys I need your input ASAP:
I'm a PGY-1 Surgery prelim because I didn't match in the military match last year. In the past 7 months of prelim surgery, despite receiving outstanding evaluations from attendings at this prestigious civilian program, I have been abused by the program with things such as working multiple months of nights straight, working 90+ hr weeks, working every single holiday so that the categoricals in the program can be with their families. I am a rocking tough soldier, so I never complained about it, but as of Dec.17th I have now matched into a military residency of my dreams starting next year in a primary care specialty, No longer interested anything Surgery as I have found my passion in helping others through prevention of disease. Of note, I have also passed Step 3 with outstanding scores and I'm loved universally in the program for being a teamplayer who gets everything done. However I don't feel the same way about them as they feel about me and I need to leave ASAP as my health is declining due to the stress. HOW DO I LEAVE THIS CIVILIAN PROGRAM NOW? Another important point is that this internship year is meaningless in that it will not count toward my new primary care specialty (I have to repeat intern year) only this time in a nonabusive program.
will quitting this program affect your ability to start the new residency (meaning could the input from your current PD put a kibosh on you starting the new program)?
probably need to see what time frame your contract says you need to give the program...usually 3-4 months so even if you gave notice today, it won't be till mid april-may.