How competitive do you think dental school admission will be in two years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lollipop1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those applying in 2011.

Members don't see this ad.

i think the numbers will slightly increase, for example, GPA average will probably be about 3.6 and DAT scores will be 19-20. people pretty much score the same grades and test scores from year to year, but the only problem is that there is just more and more applications coming in every year.

do you think in 20 years, the average gpa will be 4.0 and 27 on the dat?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it's gona be relatively the same, especially the DAT scores, it's a standardized test, that's what it's suppose to do...I think right now this is the top of the curve as far as # of applicants...

As the saying goes "everything is possible". However since the frequency of 27 for the 2007 crop was 1 in 8897, we would need roughly 40 million applicants to come up with a class of 4500.

it doesn't necessarily mean that the stats would go up numerically - but perhaps the test will get harder? Maybe they will completely reformat the test, add new sections, take out old ones, change the way its scored (like how the SAT went from a 1600 to a 2400). Also, with an increasing number of applicants, there is a chance that more schools will pop-up. So who knows? Its all a matter of speculation; 20 yrs is a long time from now. One thing is for sure, its not going to get any easier!

I think at some point well before that, the difficulty of admission will result in fewer applications....thus, the numbers will fall. When the numbers fall to a certain point, applications will go up. Rinse, wash and repeat.

I think DAT will undergo natural selection and mutation.
One of the mutated DAT most ppl encountered was ethic and piano :D

and you don't read your own threads, because post #3 brought up the 20 year scenario in response to post #2 :p

I think with the increasing amount of people applying to dent in favor of med, we should expect our numbers to start looking a bit more med-ish. I think in two years you can expect a GPA around 3.6-3.7 and a score of ~19 to have a decent chance.

I think with the increasing amount of people applying to dent in favor of med, we should expect our numbers to start looking a bit more med-ish. I think in two years you can expect a GPA around 3.6-3.7 and a score of ~19 to have a decent chance.

Assuming that only the high achievers will be applying.

I think DAT will undergo natural selection and mutation.
One of the mutated DAT most ppl encountered was ethic and piano :D

Yeah, but most likely it will undergoe stabilizing selection because there will be a larger number of people, and therefore a larger number of lower quality and higher quality applicants, but an even larger number of "average applicants" (look up stabilizing selection if you don't get it).