how competitive is a EM/FP (Osteopathic) program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookHero20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know how competitive it is to get into these D.O. programs

mostly I am interested in the one in St. Barnabas (of the Bronx) but i really will go anywhere in the country

primarily, I would like to know how the COMLEX scores affect the process and what scores they would probably look for (I understand that they'd probably want GOOD scores, but what would that be exactly?)

also I hear from these programs that they do not fill up all of their slots--is this because of a lack of applicants (like not enough people apply) or is this because there are not enough people who meet their admissions requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

If you look at the match results its generally th EM/IM or EM/FP residencies that dont fill, but St.B is a top 5 DO EM program so expect that one to be tougher to get into.

If you look at the match results its generally th EM/IM or EM/FP residencies that dont fill, but St.B is a top 5 DO EM program so expect that one to be tougher to get into.

do they not fill because the programs do not think there are enough qualified applicants or because not enough people apply to these programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
do they not fill because the programs do not think there are enough qualified applicants or because not enough people apply to these programs?

The rumor I've heard is that if you want EM/FM or EM/IM it's pretty much yours because not that many people are looking at add "extra" years onto residency. So I guess the answer to your question is there aren't enough people applying to these programs on the DO side.

Of course this question would be easier to answer if there was match data on the DO side like there was for the MD side. oh if only...

Ok, I'll put the rumors (partly) aside here. I matched to EM/FP this year. It was the second EM/FP program on my list.

Now, my rank list was based on many factors, with geography being a big part. Also, I rotated at my first EM/FP choice of program, and did not rotate at the program I will be going to next year. The program I ranked #1 did not fill, but the program I am going to did. My application was average, average comlex scores, middle 3rd of my class, no research, nothing that makes me stand out.

The point is, the competitiveness of these programs varies from each of the 4 or 5 (not sure if the one in ohio closed or not), and varies from year to year. Also, I was told by program #1 that they did not rank me because they thought I was only applying for their EM slot, even though when I set up the interview I made sure it was for both programs, and the asst PD from that program was at my interview. I also was told by one of the interns at program #1 that they had 60 applicants. These programs usually do fill, but I think they are less competitive than their EM counterparts because of the extra year. I know plenty of EM candidates were going allopathic, strictly because they wanted a 3 year EM program.

About Barnabas specifically, I was told you should rotate with the FP department and get to know the directors well. One thing I did not learn until I interviewed with the programs (had 3 EM/FP interviews, all 3 I applied to) is that you are applying through the FP department, not the EM, and your PD is the FP PD. Sometimes, not always, the EM department has input on your interview.

Also, there were 9 spots offered this year from 4 programs through the match:
SBH- 2
Frankford- 4
St. James- 1
Program in Michigan which name escapes me now- 2

7 of the 9 filled, but In years past, usually all fill. There is a program in Ohio, but like I said I don't know if it closed, or if they just didn't have any openings this year. From what I was told, the whole restructuring of the internship this year threw a wrench into a lot of programs, and unless they had a tracked internship before, they now had to spread their program size over an extra year (example, a PGY2-4 EM program that didn't have a tracked internship and 18 approved positions now became a PGY1-4 program with still 18 approved positions).