How competitive is FM in the Bay Area for an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racketed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm an IMG from a top tier school in the UK who practiced for 5 years (largely in gen surgery) before coming out to the US to get an MPH (from another top tier school). Since then I've been working in management consulting here in the US and now have a green card. In honesty I miss clinical practice and have been thinking about returning to it.

I'm keen to stay in the US and in the Bay Area as that's where my family is now based. I asked a more general question in the International forum here and recognize that I face an steep climb as I'm now almost 10 years post medschool graduation, I haven't practiced for over 3 years and with my international background.

I've yet to take my USMLEs but am preparing to study for them. Assuming I get good scores, how competitive is a residency in family medicine in the Bay Area?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey folks,

I'm an IMG from a top tier school in the UK who practiced for 5 years (largely in gen surgery) before coming out to the US to get an MPH (from another top tier school). Since then I've been working in management consulting here in the US and now have a green card. In honesty I miss clinical practice and have been thinking about returning to it.

I'm keen to stay in the US and in the Bay Area as that's where my family is now based. I asked a more general question in the International forum here and recognize that I face an steep climb as I'm now almost 10 years post medschool graduation, I haven't practiced for over 3 years and with my international background.

I've yet to take my USMLEs but am preparing to study for them. Assuming I get good scores, how competitive is a residency in family medicine in the Bay Area?

Thanks so much!

it's very competitive in California. Period.
Not trying to scare you.
i just want you to keep an open mind and explore other states.

out of the 374 slots for Family Medicine in California,
only 10 IMG got matched, 90% are US seniors and MDs

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-by-State-and-Specialty-2016.pdf

Hey folks,

Thanks so much!

That's a tough question. With you UK background you are competitive. But having not practiced for several years may pose some issues such as licensing and some residency programs don't like it when someone has been out for so long. Add that to the competition in California and things can get complicated.

Do well on the USMLE and perhaps do some FP rotation/externships. Let them know you are a trained surgeon. They will respect that and you will get a spot somewhere but it may not be in Bay area. But it's not the IMG part that's going to be the issue because your degree is from the UK. It's the years out of practice.