How Competitive is Hofstra Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILOVEMED123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear from pple accepted there what their stats were

Members don't see this ad.

I still really wanna speak to a current student over there...

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year averages: 33 mcat, 3.6 gpa, 5568 applied, 727 interviewed for 80 spots (I think it's 100 spots this year though). Idk what else your looking for. Word on the street while they have no IS preference they do have a slight Nassau county preference.

10th to 90th percentile MCAT for last year was 30-37. total GPA is 3.4 to 3.9 for 10th to 90th percentile.

Last year averages: 33 mcat, 3.6 gpa, 5568 applied, 727 interviewed for 80 spots (I think it's 100 spots this year though). Idk what else your looking for. Word on the street while they have no IS preference they do have a slight Nassau county preference.
That's a pretty rough interviews to acceptances ratio (assuming they offer class size*2 acceptances)

Dumb Q: Whats IS?
I am looking to figure out if they look for something in a candidate that is different as opposed to other schools

Last edited:
Dumb Q: Whats IS? Will they have preference for Long Beach, NY?
I am looking to figure out if they look for something in a candidate that is different as opposed to other schools
Stats won't tell you that. And IS means in state.

They are like the GOD of med schools.

In addition to GPA, MCAT scores, and the rigor of undergraduate study, what other criteria will be considered for admission to the MD, MD/PhD or PhD Programs?
In selecting applicants for admission, the Admissions Committee will consider, among other criteria:

• Honors and awards
  • Extracurricular activities including community service, leadership roles and unique accomplishments
  • Capacity to contribute diversity to the educational environment
  • Employment and research experience
  • Demonstrated commitment to a future career in medicine
  • Personal statement describing his/her personal, educational and social backgrounds, and response of the applicant to personal challenges
  • Character traits including honesty, integrity, leadership, teamwork, empathy, maturity, emotional stability, creativity and self-direction
  • Ability to communicate with others
  • Perseverance through adversity

In addition to GPA, MCAT scores, and the rigor of undergraduate study, what other criteria will be considered for admission to the MD, MD/PhD or PhD Programs?
In selecting applicants for admission, the Admissions Committee will consider, among other criteria:

• Honors and awards
  • Extracurricular activities including community service, leadership roles and unique accomplishments
  • Capacity to contribute diversity to the educational environment
  • Employment and research experience
  • Demonstrated commitment to a future career in medicine
  • Personal statement describing his/her personal, educational and social backgrounds, and response of the applicant to personal challenges
  • Character traits including honesty, integrity, leadership, teamwork, empathy, maturity, emotional stability, creativity and self-direction
  • Ability to communicate with others
  • Perseverance through adversity
I feel like all the med schools say this lol!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk, from their site they just seem like a really awesome med school!

"Applicants are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and 25 on the MCAT to receive an invitation to complete the supplemental application."

Well, that sounds reasonable.
I hope that takes some of the pressure off your back.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
He's telling the truth. Most med schools look for the same things. Some schools have specific missions and they prefer some types of people over others, like Puerto Rican schools and spanish speakers or public schools and in-state applicants. However, they all want either decent GPA/MCAT or something interesting to make up for the lower GPA/MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
True. Although I would argue that Hofstra is slightly more unconventional than your typical med school so they may actually be looking for slightly different things in an applicant (ie., they LOVE non-science majors..etc)

Spoke to their admissions office. They have a thing for the non-classic science majors. they love diversity. they also mention it on the website how they highly encourage other majors

Spoke to their admissions office. They have a thing for the non-classic science majors. they love diversity. they also mention it on the website how they highly encourage other majors

My top choice med school says the same thing on their website too. It'll help you in the interview b/c it will help set you apart, but they still care about GPA. I wish med schools gave a bump to engineering majors. :(

Lol same here. Classic Biology major here. Listen, I don't think Hofstra is not going to accept someone bec their a science major (I'm sure they have some science majors who get in) but it is something they like a lot even more so than most other medical schools. They also really like non-traditional students for this reason. It all shows diversity, they love it

Yeah it all goes back to be interesting. If you're interesting in the interview, you have a leg up on everyone else and if you have a strong GPA/MCAT, your chances of getting in are really good.

9ce12.jpg
From my experience interviewing there last year, it doesn't really seem like it, but to be fair I think it is a very small number of schools who actually look for different types of class compositions than the standard statement about wanting diverse/different people.

If you like the school and think you have a chance just apply. Of course be aware of the fact that they are new still, their curriculum is a bit different, the location that the school is in, and how their clinical rotations work and make sure these are all things that you would enjoy.

That's a pretty rough interviews to acceptances ratio (assuming they offer class size*2 acceptances)

They're a new school and their stats look pretty good. I have a feeling they might have to do more than this to fill their class since people are likely to go elsewhere over here if they have multiple acceptances since the school is so new.

From my experience interviewing there last year, it doesn't really seem like it, but to be fair I think it is a very small number of schools who actually look for different types of class compositions than the standard statement about wanting diverse/different people.

If you like the school and think you have a chance just apply. Of course be aware of the fact that they are new still, their curriculum is a bit different, the location that the school is in, and how their clinical rotations work and make sure these are all things that you would enjoy.

Bump to that, I've chatted with a professor there who seemed awesome and I would have been interested in their interesting curriculum. Unfortunately the location isn't attractive at all. Maybe if you're from the island it'd be ok. I'd wonder if the "Nassau preference" is a Hofstra UG preference, which is a heavy Nassau population, but that's just my speculation. The NSLIJ system is huge and would be nice to have access to, but having to schlep around the island for clinicals would suck. It's a shame the school isn't up in new hyde park near LIJ.

Many medical schools are changing this way…. non-science major, lots of humanities in their requirements, lots of interest in diversity. Check out Emory's requirements and NYU's interest in diversity as two examples. Soon, they'll prefer bilingual.

Many medical schools are changing this way…. non-science major, lots of humanities in their requirements, lots of interest in diversity. Check out Emory's requirements and NYU's interest in diversity as two examples. Soon, they'll prefer bilingual.
Everybody prefers bilingual.

Reactions: 1 user
Idk, it seems from the amount of applicants and acceptances, they got a ton of applicants for a small amount of plates. Its pretty much a draw in a lottery to snatch a place even if you are competitive for their school. But then again, I guess thats just med school in general.