How complacent/satisfied are physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mycoalwin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Running into another setback again...

For the last 1.5 years, I've been struggling to decide between pre-dent and pre-med. Six weeks ago, after 3 straight weeks of shadowing, I decided that going pre-med was right for me. I loved the profound impact I could have on my patients, and that emotional reward was enough for me to drop the lifestyle and work of dentistry. [Background: my parents are dentists, so I'm fairly familiar with the field.] Don't get me wrong -- I know dentists have a great impact on their patients as well, for oral diseases and problems can really affect the individual. It just wasn't the impact I wanted on people's lives (while I could be saving someone's vision or leg, for example).

Once I figured out what I wanted in a career, I started studying for my MCAT (which is on Aug 27). However, I recently started thinking about what feeds me, for lack of better word. I'm always into the idea of making things bigger and better -- it's what keeps me working in my ECs every day and studying to get into medical school. I presume this feeling of wanting to do better will last me until I get my desired residency spot. I'm worried about when I start working as a physician.

Once I'm working, how much opportunity is there to expand, to make things in my life bigger? I know in dentistry you can always increase your patient pool through expanding your practice, doing more marketing, hiring associates, etc. To me, that's making things bigger (somewhat entrepreneurial I suppose). However, for physicians, is anything like this possible? I can't imagine it to be while working for a hospital, and I do not hear too much about private-practice physicians expanding practices and hiring associates.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Private practice has a ton of flexibility for entrepreneurial activity if you have some business acumen. I'd say arguably more than dentistry because depending on the specialty(ies) there can be a greater range of services you can focus on and incorporate into a business plan.

Reactions: 1 users
Private practice has a ton of flexibility for entrepreneurial activity if you have some business acumen. I'd say arguably more than dentistry because depending on the specialty(ies) there can be a greater range of services you can focus on and incorporate into a business plan.

Which specialties are you referring to in general? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also think that you could "expand" so to say, working as a hospitalist. Working your way up to chair of a department or become more actively involved in big name research, academic medicince if you will. Or even a leadership role within the hospital (more on the corporate side). Probably rare but I am sure it does happen, at least I assume. Making life bigger boils down to pursuing your passion (within medicine). Find that and own it.

Running into another setback again...

For the last 1.5 years, I've been struggling to decide between pre-dent and pre-med. Six weeks ago, after 3 straight weeks of shadowing, I decided that going pre-med was right for me. I loved the profound impact I could have on my patients, and that emotional reward was enough for me to drop the lifestyle and work of dentistry. [Background: my parents are dentists, so I'm fairly familiar with the field.] Don't get me wrong -- I know dentists have a great impact on their patients as well, for oral diseases and problems can really affect the individual. It just wasn't the impact I wanted on people's lives (while I could be saving someone's vision or leg, for example).

Once I figured out what I wanted in a career, I started studying for my MCAT (which is on Aug 27). However, I recently started thinking about what feeds me, for lack of better word. I'm always into the idea of making things bigger and better -- it's what keeps me working in my ECs every day and studying to get into medical school. I presume this feeling of wanting to do better will last me until I get my desired residency spot. I'm worried about when I start working as a physician.

Once I'm working, how much opportunity is there to expand, to make things in my life bigger? I know in dentistry you can always increase your patient pool through expanding your practice, doing more marketing, hiring associates, etc. To me, that's making things bigger (somewhat entrepreneurial I suppose). However, for physicians, is anything like this possible? I can't imagine it to be while working for a hospital, and I do not hear too much about private-practice physicians expanding practices and hiring associates.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Academics. Research will never end. Endless accomplishments await you.

Which specialties are you referring to in general? Just curious.

I don't pretend to know the different options in every specialty, but plastic surgery is a good example. There's a plethora of different procedures you could specialize in and run a business model to suit yourself. You could make an entirely cosmetic cash practice focusing on boob jobs depending on the demand in the area. I'm sure there are similar opportunities for several specialties that cover a wide range of different procedures.