How did you decide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suzanne51

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently in the MA in General Psych program at my school. I am starting to panic about the type of PhD programs I should apply to. I know that one of the rules is to research faculty and see what their specific interests are, but the problem is that I don't even have a firm decision on what I want to do! SO many things interest me... criminal psychology, behavior analysis/modification, exposure therapy, etc. I've tried many times over the years to narrow it down, and I have, but I still can't land on just one. The fear is that whatever I choose is what I'll be doing for the rest of my life, having mostly given up my other interests (at least in such depth as a PhD program).

Having to pick just one thing is awful. How did you all make this decision? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

In a sports metaphor, early career choices just kinda define the sport you are going to play. Not how well, not the team, not the league, not the position, not the individual game, not the individual style.

There are some people who are passionate about one subject their entire career. Most get some general area of focus and do variations on that. Some totally change areas mid career.

You could easily focus on behavioral therapy applied in correctional settings or something like that.

I still haven't narrowed it down. One of the reasons I chose to be a psychologist was because of the wide range of options. At this stage just pick a broad area of interest and start writing your school papers in that area. What are your professors researching at your current school? Also, research interest and clinical interests and career can all be different, but usually you are going to find that it still integrates. For example, I like to work with adolescents and trauma victims. My research interest is in substance abuse. I have worked in many different settings and everywhere I have worked these skills have come into play. I also love group therapy and teaching but don't have that going now. Maybe next job.