How did you end up in public health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I became introduced to the huge field of public health in pharm school and am now thinking of pursuing an MPH after. Since public health is a relatively interdisciplinary field, I'm curious to know how you all decided to study your area of public health.

Members don't see this ad.

I studied Biology and Education in college, earned a Masters in Ed, and then became a middle/high school science teacher. My school asked me to teach public health as an elective even though I'd never studied it and didn't really even know what it was. I loved teaching it and eventually realized it was a better fit for my interests in social justice, education, and reproductive/sexual health than teaching science was. And now I'm applying for my MPH.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd always been interested in disease mechanics and transmission. After starting veterinary school and working with the Public Health and Policy club, I realized that what I'd thought was a primary interest in veterinary pathology actually aligned much better with epidemiology. Since then, I've been working on getting more experience in the field (Epi MPH in-progress now, back to vet school in the fall)

Started off as pre-med, but eventually realized that I was not cut out for medical school but still wanted to work in the healthcare field. Now I'm in epidemiology, and really enjoy the coding aspects of it; may even go into bioinformatics. I posted earlier that I didn't want to go for a PhD, but seeing my friends get into several programs this year is making me rethink that.