Employment & Professional Networking How did you get your first job out of OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karixel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I will be starting OT school in the fall and I'm just wondering how people usually get their first job out of OT school. Should I be doing a lot of networking somehow in OT school? Will my fieldwork help me get a job? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Fieldwork will definitely get your foot in the door. In my case, I got my first job at a snf through an agency. I was brought on to cover for 5 days but they were impressed with me and wanted to keep me on full time. I stayed full time for a month and a half because I had a hospital job lined up the following month. I'm still there every other Sunday.

I got my hospital job from faxing my resume directly to the rehab dept and following up with the director on the phone several weeks later. She didn't have any openings but interviewed me anyways. Sure enough, two weeks later, someone was going on medical leave.

Not to be rude, but right now, just focus on getting through school. Trust me when I tell you, you don't have to worry about jobs. Do make connections in your fieldworks, especially level 2 and depending on your setting. The people you with whom you'll be working alongside will give recommend you to agencies and who to directly contact. The agencies will call you like bill collectors (which is a good thing).

But for now, just focus on getting through school and taking in all there is to know about being an OT. ;)