This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mypalshavepaws

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I would just like some honest opinions on how hard vet school is for you? I am second guessing my abilities to be able to do well in vet school. I am currently in my 6th year to get my BS. I have less than one more year left, it will 6.5 years to get my BS. I have worked and supported myself through school and currently I have a 3.65 GPA. I am in my second quarter of Ochem, and I have a feeling that GPA will drop due to that class. I have to work and study pretty hard for my classes. I am not one of those people who gets things easily. I don't mind studying hard to get good grades but at times I have no life outside of work and school and it is mentally draining. I also think since it has taken me so long to get my BS, I am pretty burnt out on school and thinking about 4 years of vet school sounds excruciating painful and terrifying. Outside of school and work I have been in a relationship for 6 years and we rescue horses (I try not to spend too much time with the rescue). But things just tend to come up sometimes. I have been a vet tech for the past 2 years and have 3,000+ hours of animal or pre vet experience through work or volunteering. I love animals and want to do something where I can work with them and yes make decent money because I am already a vet tech without my BS so I want to use my BS. Vet school is ideal, if I could handle it :/
I am not planning on working during vet school but I just want to get a better idea if I can handle how demanding it will be.

On average how many hours a week are you studying, in class, or doing clinical work etc?
Do you guys even have social lives?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys,

I would just like some honest opinions on how hard vet school is for you? I am second guessing my abilities to be able to do well in vet school. I am currently in my 6th year to get my BS. I have less than one more year left, it will 6.5 years to get my BS. I have worked and supported myself through school and currently I have a 3.65 GPA. I am in my second quarter of Ochem, and I have a feeling that GPA will drop due to that class. I have to work and study pretty hard for my classes. I am not one of those people who gets things easily. I don't mind studying hard to get good grades but at times I have no life outside of work and school and it is mentally draining. I also think since it has taken me so long to get my BS, I am pretty burnt out on school and thinking about 4 years of vet school sounds excruciating painful and terrifying. Outside of school and work I have been in a relationship for 6 years and we rescue horses (I try not to spend too much time with the rescue). But things just tend to come up sometimes. I have been a vet tech for the past 2 years and have 3,000+ hours of animal or pre vet experience through work or volunteering. I love animals and want to do something where I can work with them and yes make decent money because I am already a vet tech without my BS so I want to use my BS. Vet school is ideal, if I could handle it :/
I am not planning on working during vet school but I just want to get a better idea if I can handle how demanding it will be.

On average how many hours a week are you studying, in class, or doing clinical work etc?

I would not second guess yourself. Thing is .... it's normal for it to be overwhelming. But the vast majority of people grow and adapt to manage the 'new' load. Is it more than undergrad? Yeah, for sure. Will you (most likely) learn to manage it? Definitely.

Can I promise you can handle it? No, of course not. But the vast majority of people do. You will look backwards and be stunned at how undergrad seemed 'stressful' compared to what you learn to manage.

Most schools require their students to be available for classes 8-5 M-F or thereabouts. Doesn't mean you HAVE classes that entire time. We probably averaged .... eh ..... 6 hrs/day? Some days a full 8. Some days a half day, or a missing hour here or three. Or an all-afternoon lab. It varied a fair bit.

People handle studying differently. Some people study every night diligently. Some people put it off and do it all on the weekend. You just have to figure out what works.

Social outlets are somewhat cut back during vet school, sure. Maybe you don't get to party every Saturday night like some people. But you can still go out with friends, find things to do, exercise, etc. That stuff is what keeps you sane and makes your studying more efficient.

Reactions: 3 users
Depends on the school and the point in the curriculum. I've had some semesters where it wasn't so bad, was going out most weekends, doing some work and research on the side for my PhD advisor. And then times like now, where I feel like I'm doing not much besides going to class and studying and taking constant tests, and I'm still riding the struggle bus and getting my lowest grades to date. I think around 15-17 people who started are no longer in our class or vet school. So unfortunately no one can promise that it will work; sometimes life just happens. Most left due to academics, but a few for personal reasons. It's hard, but you'll like what you learn even if the process of learning it isn't always fun, and like LIS said you rise to the occasion.

This semester I only have class 8-12 M-F minus surgery days, but other semesters were more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school and the point in the curriculum. I've had some semesters where it wasn't so bad, was going out most weekends, doing some work and research on the side for my PhD advisor. And then times like now, where I feel like I'm doing not much besides going to class and studying and taking constant tests, and I'm still riding the struggle bus and getting my lowest grades to date. I think around 15-17 people who started are no longer in our class or vet school. So unfortunately no one can promise that it will work; sometimes life just happens. Most left due to academics, but a few for personal reasons. It's hard, but you'll like what you learn even if the process of learning it isn't always fun, and like LIS said you rise to the occasion.

This semester I only have class 8-12 M-F minus surgery days, but other semesters were more.

Thank you for your input. As of now, I barely am able to go out on weekends. But I think where part of my problem is that I am working so much. Part of me hopes that since I won't be working in vet school, the amount of hours that I use now to work I can apply towards studying in vet school and I should be okay?

Hey Guys,

For my first quarter, I was in class from 8-5 usually. Fridays, we were done at noon. 12-1 is the school-wide lunch hour. You do socialize a fair bit during the day. My lab group chatted throughout the entire lab period (3 hours), and I sit with friends for lunch and whatever. You do have to block off time to have fun, though.

I was working a LOT in undergrad, and not I'm not at all. Yes, the time is devoted to studying (or sleeping, which I didn't do much of in undergrad). I don't do jack Friday nights, and don't really get started on the weekends until noonish and I'll stop earlier too. You have to find a system that works for you. If your idea of blowing off steam is going out a partying, find time for that when you can. My idea of blowing off steam is becoming a vegetable in bed with my TV on. Just carve out you-time, friend-time, SO-time. SO-time becomes significantly easier if they live with you. Most of us in my class seem to have grouped up and hangout on the weekends. I live with roommates who I like to hangout with, too.

I'm the type who hates being in school. Thinking I have another 4 years to go is painful, but the end product is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for your input. As of now, I barely am able to go out on weekends. But I think where part of my problem is that I am working so much. Part of me hopes that since I won't be working in vet school, the amount of hours that I use now to work I can apply towards studying in vet school and I should be okay?

Have you done any experimentation with different study methods? Maybe you can find methods that work a lot faster for you.

One thing I recommend trying is the flash card program called Anki. It has a fancy algorithm that helps make your studying extremely efficient. It tells you what cards to study, and when, so you can get the most memorization for the least effort.

We have a member here that used Anki to make vet school her bitch. In her pre-clinical years she would procrastinate for like four days a week and then study like crazy for two or three days before her tests. She's a vet now! And I think she said she got lots of A's on tests. @Minnerbelle correct me if I'm wrong. You know the details better than me :p

Last edited:
Vet school is stressful, all life consuming, and can feel super overwhelming. That said, it's a means to an end. I barreled through undergrad in 3 years while working 35 hours a week. Now is still more stressful, but I'm also a procrastinator. I make my life more difficult that it has to be. I'm also working 20-25 hours a week so I tend to study the week before and of an exam. Some quarters that works, others it's a horrible horrible idea. As far as studying, I learn better through quizzes than looking over notes over and over. Flashcards do help. If you feel burnt out, then take a year off of school before applying and give yourself some breathing room. I had 3 years between undergrad and vet school and it helped me not feel so much burn out. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Vet school is stressful, all life consuming, and can feel super overwhelming. That said, it's a means to an end. I barreled through undergrad in 3 years while working 35 hours a week. Now is still more stressful, but I'm also a procrastinator. I make my life more difficult that it has to be. I'm also working 20-25 hours a week so I tend to study the week before and of an exam. Some quarters that works, others it's a horrible horrible idea. As far as studying, I learn better through quizzes than looking over notes over and over. Flashcards do help. If you feel burnt out, then take a year off of school before applying and give yourself some breathing room. I had 3 years between undergrad and vet school and it helped me not feel so much burn out. Good luck!

So it is at least somewhat possible to work during vet school?

It's very possible, but it definitely depends on you and your study habits/priorities. For me I worked 20 hours during undergrad while taking 21+ credits and had no issue with it- I'm not able to work now at all because I would rather spend that time taking care of myself/destressing. Others can do 5-10 hours a week and they enjoy it. It honestly will depend on you. However, most say to wait until after 1st semester to get a job to see how you are doing school wise and I agree with it- that way you won't be working 15 hours at something and potentially failing out of school.

A lot of it is probably going to depend on where you're working and how flexible they are willing to be as well. I had classmates that worked in the research colonies before class and some people worked as student nurses in various departments. Some people were able to maintain this through the first three years, others decided they'd like to sleep in those extra hours or use the time not working to relax. I mainly worked on breaks/summers and picked up random shifts through a club that would pay me if I ran a TNR type deal on a weekend. In 4th year, I volunteered to work as an Onco nurse for a rotation (they didn't end up needing me) and I'm on a list to work as an additional nurse in fluids/ICU if they end up being short staffed.

Sure it is. I worked about 15 hrs/week or so during school. And that's with three kids/spouse and a home to take care of.

A lot of "managing vet school" is also accepting how well you want to do. If you tell yourself "I must get a 4.0 in vet school" then yeah, it's going to be all-consuming and incredibly time-intensive. If you walk in saying "You know what? I'm pretty ok with a 3.0 or a 2.8 or whatever" .... then shoot, vet school doesn't have to be that bad at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. I just enjoy working outside of school. I was hoping to work ~10 hours or so at minimum. And I definitely don't need/want a 4.0 in vet school. Yay! I'm glad to know it's possible. :D Thanks everyone!

Lol. I just enjoy working outside of school. I was hoping to work ~10 hours or so at minimum. And I definitely don't need/want a 4.0 in vet school. Yay! I'm glad to know it's possible. :D Thanks everyone!

It's possible. It can maybe sometimes be harder to work away from the school. At least in the environment I was in (UMN) jobs in/around the school were great (like tech'ing, lab jobs, receptionist jobs, etc.) because your boss kinda 'got it' when it comes to vet school life. They understood when you had bad exam weeks and needed a bit more study time. Working outside that environment a boss could potentially be a little less understanding of that.

But it's still doable. You'll be fine. You'll just figure it out on the fly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely, and it's even better when your job allows you to study or do homework (think library, front desk after hours, etc.). Our teaching hospital is looking for students to be on-call ER/ICU help as well. I'd go for that, but I don't want to risk being called in at 2AM right before a test.

I remember reading an article somewhere about how medical school changes you brain, and I assume the situation is even more true for vet school (which is harder.) Apparently, each year makes your brain grow stronger and the next year you're able to deal with more.

Has this been true for you guys?

I remember reading an article somewhere about how medical school changes you brain, and I assume the situation is even more true for vet school (which is harder.) Apparently, each year makes your brain grow stronger and the next year you're able to deal with more.

Yes and no. I remember talking to my parents during finals week last block (9 exams in 10 days), and my Mom commented on how calm I sounded about it all. And it was true, I was stressed but not at a full-blown panic like I was during first year with just 3 exams in one week. So there's definitely adaptation, though I secretly wonder if it's because I'm better at juggling this vet school thing or because apathy has taken over...

Yes and no. I remember talking to my parents during finals week last block (9 exams in 10 days), and my Mom commented on how calm I sounded about it all. And it was true, I was stressed but not at a full-blown panic like I was during first year with just 3 exams in one week. So there's definitely adaptation, though I secretly wonder if it's because I'm better at juggling this vet school thing or because apathy has taken over...
SYS.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely, and it's even better when your job allows you to study or do homework (think library, front desk after hours, etc.). Our teaching hospital is looking for students to be on-call ER/ICU help as well. I'd go for that, but I don't want to risk being called in at 2AM right before a test.

Shrug...you should probably get used to functioning on little sleep sooner rather than later.
And you learn valuable skills working ER/ICU before your final year. Schools tend to be very understanding when making those schedules, and are typically aware of exams etc.

Vet school is hard, and everyone approaches it and studying and working differently. You would be amazed at what you can handle though.
If i'm studying/reading now, I can't pull all nighters. But give me crazy cases where I am up for days....sure., I can deal.

You would be amazed at what you can handle though.

Although I am not and will never will be a vet student (I have started calling myself "just a vet fangirl"), I relate to this. My dad had a terminal illness and for years I was scared of how I was gonna cope after her died. Well, he finally died and I dealt with it way better than I thought I would! I worked through it!

I also used to have a fear that I wouldn't be able to cope with being homeless. I thought the shame would be the end of me. Well, last year I had to live in a motel for about a month. It turned out to be a wonderful experience! I hung out in the lobby and I met lots of people. It was a great opportunity to work on my social anxiety!

Oh and when I found out I was going to have to leave where I had been living, I was so upset I wrote the following poem. It shows how I felt:

Nomad

Howling wind bites my face
Wants to pelt me with disgrace
And send me off to roam
Far away from any home

Uncertainty brands my hide
Fear takes me for a ride
Tossed out in the unknown
Swept up by a cyclone

Treading on broken glass
Breathing in poison gas
Stumbling in the dark
Lantern won't make a spark

Where's the end of this maze?
Will it lead to brighter days?
Judgment day approaches fast
Soon I'll be in it's grasp

Can I trust where I place my steps?
Will they lead me to regrets?
The decisions I make
May determine my fate

Exhausted and distressed
Soul is craving rest
The weight on my mind
Is torture defined

Shrouded in doubt
Knees give out
Slump down in confusion
Covered with contusion

It's so hard to avoid
Being destroyed

Definitely yes. Like 2nd semester, 2nd year is by far the worse here in regards to number of constant tests and just how beat down exhausted you feel. But looking back at, first semester of 3rd year was probably equally as demanding, but it just sucked less. Whether that's because I got more efficient at studying or had just less eff's to give, is up for debate. Probably a combination of both. And then 4th year is just exhausting on whole different level, but has overall been way more fun.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that vet school is power lifting for you brain:

brain_weightlifting.jpg

Working during vet school is very doable as long as you're willing to deal with never being home. I didn't want to max out my loans so my fiance and I decided it'd be best if I worked to make some money and have loans cover the deficit. Some weeks I handle it great (I actually wrote study guides today guys!) and others I'm checked out completely when I'm home and accomplish no school work. It all depends on you and how you function. If you can handle juggling one more thing, then go for it. Sometimes you get great experience outside of the school work. I worked in a dog kennel for a year and learned a lot more about hair coats for dogs and how to manage them properly as well as good way to correct behavioral problems. We had one dog that was so scared of everything that it was really hard to even get close to him and by the time he went home, he was wagging his tail untucked and willing to get some snuggles. It was super rewarding since I worked with him most. However, I know a lot of people who don't work while in vet school and they do just fine too. Make the best judgement for your life and what you think you can handle.

Shrug...you should probably get used to functioning on little sleep sooner rather than later.
And you learn valuable skills working ER/ICU before your final year. Schools tend to be very understanding when making those schedules, and are typically aware of exams etc.

Vet school is hard, and everyone approaches it and studying and working differently. You would be amazed at what you can handle though.
If i'm studying/reading now, I can't pull all nighters. But give me crazy cases where I am up for days....sure., I can deal.
I've got the little sleep aspect covered. Sleep apnea.

Yeah, the skills are valuable, but I'll pass until ICU works out their issues with calling all on-call students to come in when little work is done and keeping them for hours. Apparently the staff is trying to make a statement so more techs are hired. I believe they're in the hiring process now, but I'm not interested in being around on holiday breaks right now anyways. Some 4th years I've had rotations with are rather upset by all of it...one told me she got called in and just hung out for 5 or 6 hours.

I mean I feel like my brain is melting. Maybe that's just part of the process.

I don't snore! I've been having sleep problems since high school. My parents didn't think sleep apnea would be on the table since I don't snore. Went in for a sleep study, and sure enough, I only get a fraction of the sleep I should be getting. I feel like I would wake myself up if I snored!

I don't snore! I've been having sleep problems since high school. My parents didn't think sleep apnea would be on the table since I don't snore. Went in for a sleep study, and sure enough, I only get a fraction of the sleep I should be getting. I feel like I would wake myself up if I snored!
I was fully convinced that I don't snore until my husband recorded me last week on his phone...Now I'm convinced it was a one-time ordeal. ;)

I was fully convinced that I don't snore until my husband recorded me last week on his phone...Now I'm convinced it was a one-time ordeal. ;)
Just a fluke :p

I wish I could find the whole Jo Koy clip. He talks about how his mom filmed him. I think the dude's hilarious.

I mean I feel like my brain is melting. Maybe that's just part of the process.

Maybe!

Maybe your brain bench presses 50lbs of books at a time this year but next year it'll be benching 100 ;)

As others have said...the material itself is not inherently difficult, in and of itself. The volume is what bogs people down. I wish I could say that I'm diligent about going home and adding the day's material to my study guides....but I don't. I do work - probably about 15 hours/week. I have a job that allows me to be flexible with my work hours, so I can squeeze in a couple hours in the afternoon, or work a full day over a quiet weekend. I definitely don't do all-nighters, nor do I ever see when it's beneficial. I like to sleep. So I schedule myself for dedicated study time per subject in preparation for exams. For me, being busy with work, etc. forces me to schedule myself more diligently, so I think I get more done in my study time than I might otherwise. I don't skip class ever, and try hard to pay attention during lecture so that I'm understanding things as they are taught, which really does make a difference when I'm studying (I don't know HOW people do it when they skip class all the time).

I think you do adjust as time goes on... what seemed like a daunting volume first year, I know look at it and go "meh, whatever"... or maybe that is just apathy... either way.. .you adjust and figure things out. It is difficult, certain times are worse than others, but it isn't something that is so difficult that you can't actually get through it. You will work hard, learn hard, get beat down numerous times, become a bit grumpy and grumbly, see some awesome things, see some not so awesome things and then before you know it, it is all over.

Years ago, I heard the statement, "People think vet school is tough while they are here but when they get out in the real world they start to miss it."

Don't know if I believe that. Maybe they'd miss the supervision they had during clinics but I don't see why they would miss their pre-clinical years, unless they really like that type of studying.

I think you do adjust as time goes on... what seemed like a daunting volume first year, I know look at it and go "meh, whatever"... or maybe that is just apathy... either way.. .you adjust and figure things out. It is difficult, certain times are worse than others, but it isn't something that is so difficult that you can't actually get through it. You will work hard, learn hard, get beat down numerous times, become a bit grumpy and grumbly, see some awesome things, see some not so awesome things and then before you know it, it is all over.
Obvs not a vet student yet, but this still rings true for me--back in high school, I might've thought a certain subject was the hardest thing ever; once I started undergrad, I had to adjust to that level of academics and there were many times I felt like I was in hell with all the pressure to perform well academically (high school seemed like a total cakewalk!)...now that I'm out of undergrad, I feel like my difficulties fears of failure were way overblown in hindsight, I needed to chill. You can gradually adapt to new stresses as you learn and gain experience, without even realizing it.

Think someone on here said something to the effect of, over the course of your life you'll often THINK what you're currently doing is the hardest thing you've ever done...because it's your only frame of reference, until you move on to something harder and realize the previous thing was actually pretty easy looking back (like "dang high-school me, you never could've imagined you could do the things you're doing now!") I think of this whenever I have doubts about my future.

Think someone on here said something to the effect of, over the course of your life you'll often THINK what you're currently doing is the hardest thing you've ever done...because it's your only frame of reference, until you move on to something harder and realize the previous thing was actually pretty easy looking back (like "dang high-school me, you never could've imagined you could do the things you're doing now!") I think of this whenever I have doubts about my future.
This reminded me of something I heard (read?) once about toddlers throwing tantrums and screaming their little heads off. It's because whatever just happened to them may in fact be the actual worst thing that they've ever experienced in their entire lives. Because they're only 2 years old...
Put that into perspective for me.

You have until July to mentally prepare yourself :laugh:

I'm on equine field service and surgery then.

Haha what...avoiding my service completely?!? What's wrong with medicine??

Yeah, the skills are valuable, but I'll pass until ICU works out their issues with calling all on-call students to come in when little work is done and keeping them for hours. Apparently the staff is trying to make a statement so more techs are hired. I believe they're in the hiring process now, but I'm not interested in being around on holiday breaks right now anyways. Some 4th years I've had rotations with are rather upset by all of it...one told me she got called in and just hung out for 5 or 6 hours.

Lol ok...you had mentioned finding a job that allows you to study too. 5 or 6 hours of paid study time sounds great to me...And both places I have worked have always been very flexible with ICU shifts. But to each their own.
And most places are having trouble finding techs/keeping good ones, so I doubt the using students thing is going to change too much.

Hehe sorry :oops:

They straight up told us to do field service over medicine if we're not interested in equine.

I wish that was the case here. Our field service is split into two sides -- equine and food animal. If you want to do food animal, you actually have to take field service twice to see more of what you want to see, otherwise a lot of it ends up being equine the first time around. It's a shame cause I wanted to do it if I could do just food animal. I actually don't mind ruminant stuff and one of the internships I'm looking at is a small animal rotating with ruminant,exotic and zoo. It's like ideal for my interests, but I just need to learn more about the program and try to talk to people currently there.

I wish that was the case here. Our field service is split into two sides -- equine and food animal. If you want to do food animal, you actually have to take field service twice to see more of what you want to see, otherwise a lot of it ends up being equine the first time around. It's a shame cause I wanted to do it if I could do just food animal. I actually don't mind ruminant stuff and one of the internships I'm looking at is a small animal rotating with ruminant,exotic and zoo. It's like ideal for my interests, but I just need to learn more about the program and try to talk to people currently there.

That sucks. Our field services are split so that there are separate equine and separate food animal ones. Equine is actually split three ways with ambulatory, medicine, and surgery. Food animal is only split two ways with field services being on its own and medicine/surgery combined. Being small animal, I was glad to take my one rotation in large animal, one rotation of equine ambulatory and be done. However, I actually did like equine quite a bit. Much more than food animal.

That sucks. Our field services are split so that there are separate equine and separate food animal ones. Equine is actually split three ways with ambulatory, medicine, and surgery. Food animal is only split two ways with field services being on its own and medicine/surgery combined. Being small animal, I was glad to take my one rotation in large animal, one rotation of equine ambulatory and be done. However, I actually did like equine quite a bit. Much more than food animal.

Yeah ours is like that too. There's equine med, field service, and surgery. Unless you want more you just take 2 of those. And then everyone takes the food animal medicine and surgery rotation, and then a local practice one. Yeah I'm glad we just get them done in one chunk, be about a month of equine and a month of FA.

Yeah ours is like that too. There's equine med, field service, and surgery. Unless you want more you just take 2 of those. And then everyone takes the food animal medicine and surgery rotation, and then a local practice one. Yeah I'm glad we just get them done in one chunk, be about a month of equine and a month of FA.

I was able to spend one month of food animal and equine combined... (2 weeks of each). Got those completed in early summer just to get them over with.

Haha what...avoiding my service completely?!? What's wrong with medicine??

Lol ok...you had mentioned finding a job that allows you to study too. 5 or 6 hours of paid study time sounds great to me...And both places I have worked have always been very flexible with ICU shifts. But to each their own.
And most places are having trouble finding techs/keeping good ones, so I doubt the using students thing is going to change too much.
Except you're not allowed to study for that particular job :(