Other OT-Related Information How "dirty" is the job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris1004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you start bashing on me for not being a "truly selfless individual who is willing to help other people," let me just throw out there that I'm still working at my undergrad degree in and I haven't made ANY decisions as to what I want to do with my career yet. Some options that I'm considering are OT, PT, and PA. Strangely enough, I'm fine dealing with blood, pus, or any other "injury secretions" of our bodies, but I do have trouble with natural excretions like vomit, urine, or poop. I know that it's probably going to be different in every setting, but how much of that will OT's deal with on average? I read threads by some OTs who said they never deal with that because they always call the nurse/CNA when it happens, as opposed to some other OT's who said they deal with it almost everyday as they have to help their patients with ADL.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think everyone has there threshold. I myself do not like the idea of excretion either but it depends on what demographic you work with and in what setting. If you work in a big hospital, then there is full staff of nursing, nursing assistant, and clinical associate to do that- you're good but it is out of your hand more or less. Like you said, going to the bathroom is an important ADL. Nurses can help them go and clean but only an OT is meant to teach them how to use the bathroom independently. Settings that would do less or no excretion may be school based or early intervention.

I also have a hard time dealing with these things, I probably have one of the worst gag reflexes ever, haha But I think once you are actually with your patient, for the most part you will be able to keep it together out of respect for them. I know I would feel terrible gagging in front of someone during a treatment session, it's already hard enough for someone to go to the bathroom with someone else watching and I would be mortified if I gagged or had to step out. I think you just have to think in that mindset and do what you have to do. Also over time hopefully it will desensitize and become easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chris,

You don't want to go to OT field if you have a problem with that. Even if you will be working in the settings that don't require dealing with piss and poop, you will have to deal with it during your fieldwork.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
A biggie in SNF is fecal matter on wheelchairs, beds, clothes etc all the time. 2nd biggie is being urinated on (only seen 5 times).

Becoming a CHT will eliminate that problem of yours. OT can lead to many other specializations and CHT is a great option. Comments welcome.

Reactions: 1 user
I work alongside PAs in my current job, so if you are considering that route, you will have to learn how to do pelvic and rectal exams. Which means not just performing a manual exam, but examining what comes out. While like OT and PT, you can choose to go into a specialty that isn't so "dirty," in your training you will most certainly be exposed to it and will have to do it.

Hi All, All healthcare professions including being an MD , Nurse and allied health jobs involve some kind of 'scut work' , touching and cleaning sort of stuff. Now , OT as I have observed is not that bad and does not require as much of that type of work as Nurses and Nursing Aids have to perform as part of their daily job routine. Rehab Science comes in mostly post operative and yes, while there are such situations in Home Health, I have not observed OTs always doing bathroom work for their patients. Their day is most diverse depending on what the patient needs. And you can always ask the CNAs to come help you while you direct their therapy. It mostly depends on the setting.