How diverse is the OT field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilikepapermate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergraduate student who plans to go to grad school to become an OT. From my research, it seems as though geriatric work is the most common in the field. Am I wrong? Are there any OT's here that work with teens, kids, adults, etc? And what exactly does the profession entail? i admit i still get confused...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi There,

In my opinion, OT is one of the fields that have the most diversity and variety. We have the opportunity to work not only in geriatrics, but pediatrics, physical disabilities, mental health, and in the community. I would suggest volunteering at a couple of different places that offer OT. For example, I worked at a pediatric clinic, and volunteered at a rehabilitation hospital. I would check out this website for more details!

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos078.htm

I have to second what Amanda said. My wife is an OT and her field works were in Hand Therapy, Rehabilitation, and Peds. The sky is the limit with OT, there's a lot of latitude.

Even in a field like Rehab there's subsets (ortho, stroke, TBI). Make sure you shadow though and the scope of practice is what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys. I'm in the process of taking my pre-reqs and haven't started my volunteer hours yet. did you have to knock on many doors for volunteer opportunites since some are worried about patients' confidentialitiy policies?

It probably will not be an issue. I would just look around to see what facilities are in your area, and either give them a call or stop in. Volunteering at a hospital is always good option, and if you can request to be in the rehab department that would be great.