How do adcoms view "alternative" medicine research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started working for a clinical research project. It is an integrative medicine project involving the use of alternative treatments in addition to the typical medical care received by other patients in the same hospital unit. Does anyone know how this might be viewed by medical schools? Would this not be viewed as highly as something in more traditional medicine? My PI is an MD, and the research is taking place at my state university's hospital, so its not like I'm doing research with an acupuncturist or other nontraditional practitioner. I'm just wondering because a lot of people are suspicious of non-western medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not on adcom, but I think that's a totally fine research project, especially when it's headed by a licensed physician. It does sound like a good clinical project.

Is it a randomized trial? Cohort Study? Or something else?

You probably wanna be prepared to answer questions like "How do you think about alternative medicine?" during open-file interviews.

I think because it's at U of A it's not going to be looked upon negatively. I had an interviewer ask me about a medicinal plants class I took at Arizona and if the professor was involved with Dr. Weill in any way. It was totally a non-judgemental question, just to feel out how I felt about alternativve medicine. So I think Arizona has a reputation in this area because of Andrew Weill so it won't seem that odd that you were involved with that type of study. There are some doctors who do not agree with this type of work but I think that people are more open to it now, esp. if it is a serious clinical trial at a respected institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
I recently started working for a clinical research project. It is an integrative medicine project involving the use of alternative treatments in addition to the typical medical care received by other patients in the same hospital unit. Does anyone know how this might be viewed by medical schools? Would this not be viewed as highly as something in more traditional medicine? My PI is an MD, and the research is taking place at my state university's hospital, so its not like I'm doing research with an acupuncturist or other nontraditional practitioner. I'm just wondering because a lot of people are suspicious of non-western medicine.

I think the answer really lies in how "alternative" these treatments really are. "Alternative medicine" means a lot of things to different people. Describing what it is you actually do might help.

Either way, you're at the university, you're doing research with an MD, and you're involved in patient care, and I think that's equally worthwhile as any traditional clinical experience.

really, you shouldnt have a problem at all. actually sounds like a great project! all they would ask you, i can bet: tell me about your research, what do you think about alternative medicine, do you want to do research when you become a dr, how do you like it. good luck.