How Do Doctors Find Jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugarcrash56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically those who are coming out of residency and looking to become an attending physician. It seems like it's common knowledge that doctors just "get a job," but I don't see how this works. Do graduating residents look on the Internet for jobs? Does the school they did their residency in give them job offers? How do they get hired for private practice? Do they just walk into an office like you would for any other job and ask if there is a position available?

Any input appreciated.

P.S. I'm not sure if this is appropriate for the pre-med forum.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My hospital has physician recruiters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes word of mouth

As residents, you will get SPAM (multiple times a day, multiple emails) from physician recruiters with physician vacancies. They may even page you randomly during the day to "discuss your post-residency plans and options"

There are certain physician websites that list available jobs (usually attached to physicain recruiting firms)

You can hire someone to help you find a job

Hospitals and Medical groups can sometimes hire physician recruiters (headhunters) to find doctors.

In the classified section of professional/academic journals

usually not through local newspaper classified section
usually not through monster.com
usually not through craiglists
usually not through the hospital's GME Dept or medical school

Word of mouth

Your own initiative. My chief resident found a hospital in an area he liked, called them up, and they made a job position for him that didn't previously exist. Panda Bear (of SDN fame) did the same thing for an ER job.

Solicitations to your program - recruiters will regularly e-mail/fax your program coordinator with job opportunities. Supposedly big programs can get dozens of these in a week.

Solicitations to you - I've gotten postcards with job openings from recruiters.

Sometimes through the hospital's website.

Reactions: 1 user
Whow thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I already have a better understanding of how this whole thing works.

Also, how does one go about joining an already established private practice/clinic? TheProwler, have you gotten any job offers from private clinics/practices? For example, if you were a chief psychiatry resident, would you expect to get offers from private places?

Thanks!

Whow thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I already have a better understanding of how this whole thing works.

Also, how does one go about joining an already established private practice/clinic? TheProwler, have you gotten any job offers from private clinics/practices? For example, if you were a chief psychiatry resident, would you expect to get offers from private places?

Thanks!

In addition to TheProwler's list, I'd also add that the professional society(ies) of each specialty also have job listings. These might be heavier in academic listings, but often include private jobs. (E.g the American Psychiatric Association has http://www.psych.org/APACareerSection/JobBank.aspx ) Attending regional and national meetings can be another potential source for networking or outright job hunting.

For private practice, it's often a combination of the sources Prowler posted...with word of mouth being very important, and one of the reasons many people try to do their residency where they want to start practicing. Local practices with open positions will contact local residency programs with available positions, and you'll gain exposure to the local practicing community during your training.

Also, at most programs, part of the advising process involves career guidance (note: this is different from career placement), so you won't be looking for a job without any advice or direction in how to do so.

Many specialties will have websites that post jobs. i.e. the American Association of (enter specialty name here) physicians and/or surgeons. Recruiting companies often post to these sites, but most sites are restricted to members. It seems like most of the ads offer you the moon to get you out in the middle of nowheresville USA. This might work for some people, but be prepared to take some serious call from what I've been told.

i've seen postings on monster haha

In addition to TheProwler's list, I'd also add that the professional society(ies) of each specialty also have job listings. These might be heavier in academic listings, but often include private jobs. (E.g the American Psychiatric Association has http://www.psych.org/APACareerSection/JobBank.aspx ) Attending regional and national meetings can be another potential source for networking or outright job hunting.

For private practice, it's often a combination of the sources Prowler posted...with word of mouth being very important, and one of the reasons many people try to do their residency where they want to start practicing. Local practices with open positions will contact local residency programs with available positions, and you'll gain exposure to the local practicing community during your training.

Also, at most programs, part of the advising process involves career guidance (note: this is different from career placement), so you won't be looking for a job without any advice or direction in how to do so.

Makes sense. So basically it's a combination of community exposure + word of mouth for private practice. Thanks for the info!