How do dropped science classes affect admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vince411

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
About 10 years ago after I graduated with a BA, I had an interest in the medical field. I was over-eager to jump right in and started taking science classes and tried taking genetics, organic chem, and a physiology class in the same semester while working full time. Midway thru the semester I was about to fail so I withdrew from the university and now have 3 "ws" on my transcript. Any ides on how those will affect me down the line assuming I do well in all of the pre-reqs? Do they impact the SGPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Ws won't impact your sgpa.
It was 10 years ago, so I think it is unlikely that it will affect you. If secondaries give you space to explain any unusual circumstances though, I probably would include a small note there.

I had two WPs on my transcript...calc based physics and genetics.

Got into a top 25 allo. Current Derm resident.

It's ok to have them.

These people review mounds of apps...they don't have time to look at all those transcripts with a fine toothed comb.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had two WPs on my transcript...calc based physics and genetics.

Got into a top 25 allo. Current Derm resident.

It's ok to have them.

These people review mounds of apps...they don't have time to look at all those transcripts with a fine toothed comb.

This is great to hear. My gpa is great (3.97) but I was worried about my two Ws and how they will affect my chances. Wasn't due to academics but still hated seeing those on my transcript.

This is great to hear. My gpa is great (3.97) but I was worried about my two Ws and how they will affect my chances. Wasn't due to academics but still hated seeing those on my transcript.

I have a lot more..6 Ws. Those were several years ago in my undergrad that I finished in 2008 though. I was told by someone in dental school admissions not to worry much about them. Hoping I don't have to drop my current Chemistry lab prereq though lol. Good luck to you, I'm sure everything will work out!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user