How do grad programs generally treat multiple degrees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych844

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So by the time I finish this Psych Honours degree, this will be my 3rd undergrad. So when I'm looking at my CGPA/GPA, would it only be looking at the Psych degree/the last degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs will look at cumulative, and/or last 2 years, and/or psych GPA. I think most programs specify their minimum cutoffs -- GPA is usually used as a cutoff for further consideration rather than as a major deciding factor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Most programs will look at cumulative, and/or last 2 years, and/or psych GPA. I think most programs specify their minimum cutoffs -- GPA is usually used as a cutoff for further consideration rather than as a major deciding factor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I guess amount of research experience and faculty/student fit would be #1 deciding factor?

Having said that, in Canada at least, the GPA minimum tends to be 3.0, but REALISTICALLY you need a 3.5 or greater. (more often than not, a 3.7 or higher)

U.S. Cut-offs are similar.

There are two pools, generally. Consideration for program (min GPA applied) and consideration for interview. Then, interview-offers go out. First offers for admission to program are ranked & assigned until spots filled, if not filled or applicants rescind off, waitlist is looked at, and those applicants were also ranked. 'Fit' comes into play at interview-offer stage (you usually interview with your desired lab; and "lab" is used in this field as intellectual property, not 'mice/biological studies/white coats/ pipettes' lab...unless you go to big behavioral medicine or CBT-focused university program).

I believe they'll look at your overall GPA and psych GPA (but usually program brochure has that info), and I'd guess they'd be curious how your other 2 degress fit into your entire picture and your narratives.

I guess amount of research experience and faculty/student fit would be #1 deciding factor?

Having said that, in Canada at least, the GPA minimum tends to be 3.0, but REALISTICALLY you need a 3.5 or greater. (more often than not, a 3.7 or higher)

Last edited: