How do I add this in my personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frodo25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of examples in my personal statement that illustrate my humanistic desire to go into medicine, but it seems to be lacking the "passion for science" aspect. How do I add this in without sounding cliche or general? Should I do this by talking about my research?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think that's demonstrated by your major and coursework. If you can't naturally work it in then don't force it. I did not talk about my passion for science once in my PS, not per se. I used it to answer why I want to go into medicine. I think that's enough. If that's an integral part of why you want to enter medicine, then it should be organic to your PS.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with @MrLogan13 . There is no need per se, it should be as honest and true to yourself as possible. If that happens to include the research etc, than go for that. If it doesn't then it doesn't have to. There is no prescribed recipe of what a PS has to be like exactly, although there are common tropes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll tell ya what, I was a very research heavy applicant, and I let my experiences speak for themselves. I just talked about working with the homeless and how that shaped the doctor I wanted to be; I didn't include anything regarding research or the passion of science.

As a professional personal statement editor, my advice to you is two-fold:

First, I advise you not to force you statement to be everything. If you attempt to emphasize too many disparate qualities, you will dull and dilute the unique and strong parts.

Secondly, I challenge you not to be vague. What does " humanistic desire to go into medicine" even mean? This is fluff -- you are relying on a buzzword to vaguely imply that you have the altruistic qualities that are necessary for a career in medicine. If you said, "my guiding principle is empathy for difficult social situations that prevent access to regular medical care for underprivileged patients," or "I possess the fortitude that will help me remain a caring and empathetic physician in the face of difficult and non-adherent patients," then I might be more impressed by your "humanistic desire to go into medicine."

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users