How do I apply for medicine in Germany?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any other foreigners applied this year to Germany? I'm waiting for replies now, but I have no idea until when I should wait. They give rejection letters too, don't they?

I'm a bit worried because my proof of German proficiency is basically just A levels and proof of participation in TestDAF course (I took the test on the app deadline itself), and while that's ok for some unis, it's totally unacceptable for others.

Also, how long do the TestDAF results usually take before they get released?

Members don't see this ad.

I request to all friends and teachers to guide me for admission in an undergraduate MD medicine coarse if you have anyt information please message me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that some more information would be helpful:

1) Do you speak German?
2) Are you an EU or non-EU national?
3) What is your current level of schooling?

also, you may want to search this forum a bit because there have been a lot of helpful threads about this subject.

Hi everybody I want to know about admission in Doctor of Medicine in Germany .but I have a problem .my date of birth is 01-01-1982 and I have 10 year study gap .my qualification is 10+2 .can I join this program?
please help me.

[email protected]

Why not contact a school to begin with? There seem to be a lot of questions being posted here where stuff that could be found out direct isn't, along with the fact that little to no background information is provided.

Hi guys,

Just started to look into this. I have a question that has yet to be asked...

Are the MCAT's needed for admissions if you have a bachelor degree?

no.

You need some sort of degree, you need to show a good standing in the subjects one would take for medical admissions in the US, then you need proof of language ability, then you apply.

Thanks.

I was just wondering... how do you know this?
I'm about 5 credits short of my BA.

Do you know how to transfer a medical degree from Germany to the US??

I don't know...maybe I'm in Germany studying medicine? Get your 5 credits and start learning German. 4-5 months of around the clock studying should get one a HUGE start towards German proficiency for the ZOP, DSH, or DAF. Don't bother with Rosetta Stone because it doesn't work for what level of German you need.

hey,

sorry to reopen an old thread.

am interested in studying in Germany.

i'm interested in the following colleges,
University of Hamburg, University of Heidelberg, University of Leipzig, Martin Luther University Halle, Humboldt Universitaet Zu Berlin, Heinrich Heine University, University of Essen.

i have done srilankan ALs and i'm qualified for medicine over here but i won't be able to get in due to immense competition.(i hope you understand the difference between qualified and competitive admission)

what are my chances over there at Germany in universities listed above?

i'm having a B and 2Cs in my ALz. Although srilankan ALs are harder, they are usually considered equivalent to London ALz. Does anybody have an idea about my chance?

and, how about the fee? is it the same 1200euro for foreign medical applicants?

hey im Sarah, i live in England but actually have German Nationality. I want to study Medicine in Germany, but seriously dont know how or when i can apply. Since i am actually German nationality it should be easier but hey its really not lol. Erm... can any1 help??

Also does any1 know can u study medicine in Germany in English?
Thnks
Sarah xx
im islam from egypt n i hve the same question regarding study in germany n language is essintial or not

Members don't see this ad :)
As vexa mentioned, you can gain admission to another subject and then switch to medicine (Quereinsteig). This is only possible is a study spot is available, and you can expect a lot of competition with this.

You can also apply directly to medicine, and you will have to take a language exam for that. There are very few spots for foreigners and the competition is immense, I think Ive stated that elsewhere. Not to discourage people, but studying medicine in German as a foreign language is not for the weak of heart. Its difficult because you are working with a handicap, but once you start to suceed and even surpass your German peers who do it in their native language, you begin to feel better and have more confidence in your skills.

However i would only recommend this path if you have lived in a German speaking country for at least a year so you are familiar with the language and the culture. Things are quite different here. The exams are notoriously difficult, it is not unusual that half the class will fail the first time around. Also anatomy exams are oral in front of the cadaver and half of the board exam is oral and three hours long.

Thanks for that info.
I have heard the opposite is true if your are an auslaender. Especially from places such a Australia/New Zealand as they prefer the diversity. I could however be wrong.

I am currently enrolled here in New Zealand to begin medicine in 1 week, however due to needing further surgery this isn't looking too likely.
As I don't wish to wait a whole extra year, I too am looking in to the prospects of applying to Germany.
I spent a year as an exchange student there in 2002.
I have taken the practice language test and achieved B2 level, however that was a couple of years ago and I am sure i have regressed since then.

I too am trying to find out what the entrance criteria is over there (I'm mainly interested in Tuebingen).
Does anyone have a clear idea on this?
I have been in touch with the university but don't seem to be getting the desired information.

Another thing i would like to know, is how do auslaenders fund their studies in germany? Living arrangements etc?

Any feedback would greatly appreciated.

I made a post on how to apply for medicine in Germany. Perhaps it should be stickied.

The studies are ok. I lived here already, so I can't comment on that. I do find unprofessional behavior towards the foreign students, along with a mix of professors who support us. Students are a mixed bag. I highly advise before settling on a university in Germany, to first stay out of the former east, with the exception of Berlin, and also look up the political situation in the area, in terms of how far right the voters vote, as it can be an indication of what you'll be up against as a foreigner.

Are there Medical Schools in Germany that are operating in a trimester system, so much so that 6.3 academic years would actually be less in actual calendar year?

Any reviews on Witten-Herdecke? I think I'm going there for Medical School next year!

Hello
I am a student from Bangladesh. I just passed my A levels with (physics, chemistry, biology and maths) and had good grades too. Now I want to study medical studies (bachelor of medicine bachelor of surgery) in Germany, but I don't know German language, I have a intention to learn it . What should I do to have medical studies in Germany at this stage? Is the tuition fee free in German medical schools? please help me...............

Well, you will first need to take German language courses for a year or 2. And then you'll need to write the Test-DaF (that tests your language proficiency.) I think you have to get a 4 and above (out of a scale of 5.)

Once you've gotten the language requirement out of the way, you'll then need to take biology, chemistry, physics and maths in German as the terminology is quite different. This might take an extra year or 2 depending on how good you are at picking up German scientific vocabulary. Once you're done, you then take an entrance exam with the rest of the Germans as well as foreigners, so there is a lot of stiff competition.

If you make it, then you're in. If not, then I guess you have to try the next year.

So as you can see, it's quite a lengthy process but German schools are some of the best medical schools out there in the world and have an excellent reputation. And yes, they are practically free.

I would contact the Goethe-Institut in Bangladesh, they will be able to help you with any topic regarding the German language and how to learn it fast and efficiently.
http://www.goethe.de/ins/bd/dha/enindex.htm

The Goethe-Institut a non-profit institution that operates worldwide and promotes the spread of the German language and culture abroad.

Yes, you can learn the language in your country and give the Test-DaF in Germany or other countries. You must check with the local German embassy if they allow you to take the exam there.

I didn't mean you have to learn these subjects again, you just have to learn the scientific terms in German (from all these subjects) because you will have to undergo a very competitive medical school entrance exam in Germany.

If you are planning to take a course in Germany, then yes, it will obviously cost money but it is a better option as you will learning German "first-hand" and you'll learn faster as living in a country that speaks the language will compel you to practice it more frequently and let you immerse yourself.

I believe most German medical schools are for the most part free. They might have some administrative fees initially or even a small yearly tuition, but I don't think it's a lot.

Thank u Mr. shreypete.
If I pass the Test-DaF then can I directly apply to the medical schools? In how many medical schools can I apply at a time? Will it be possible for me to give the medical school entrance exam if I learn the German scientific terms (of these subjects) in my country. Do they take the entrace exam of all at a time? In which month they take the exam?. I want to get admit in 2011.What is the procedure to apply..Thanks...

I would contact the Goethe-Institut in Bangladesh, they will be able to help you with any topic regarding the German language and how to learn it fast and efficiently.
http://www.goethe.de/ins/bd/dha/enindex.htm

The Goethe-Institut a non-profit institution that operates worldwide and promotes the spread of the German language and culture abroad.[/QU

Thank you Gomer, will they teach free as you r saying that its a non profit institution.

Thank u Mr. shreypete.
If I pass the Test-DaF then can I directly apply to the medical schools? In how many medical schools can I apply at a time? Will it be possible for me to give the medical school entrance exam if I learn the German scientific terms (of these subjects) in my country. Do they take the entrace exam of all at a time? In which month they take the exam?. I want to get admit in 2011.What is the procedure to apply..Thanks...

I've already mentioned that Test-DaF is only the language requirement. Applying to the medical schools is more of a central approach. You take one single entrance exam and that determines which medical school you go to.

If you do learn all the German scientific terms, then you can take the medical entrance exam but it has to be done in Germany, not in your country. I think they usually take the exam sometime between May-July. I'm not so sure about this.

I've already mentioned the entire procedure to you. Start with learning the language, then head to the embassy and find out more about each medical school or better yet, just do a search online: (http://www.medknowledge.de/germany/study/medschools/german_medical_schools.htm)

Regardin the Goethe Institute, no they do not teach for free. Their programs are actually quite expensive (look at the prices on their site) but they are nevertheless good and if the Goethe Insitut in your country offers higher levels and prepares you for the Test-DaF, then you can take the Test-DaF in your country (if you want to know whether the Goethe Insitut in your area offers higher levels/prepares for Test-DaF, check the website posted by Gomer.)

Thank u MR SHREYPETE for giving those informations. Now its clear to me...

Hello
I am a student from Bangladesh. I just passed my A levels with (physics, chemistry, biology and maths) and had good grades too. Now I want to study medical studies (bachelor of medicine bachelor of surgery) in Germany, but I don't know German language, I have a intention to learn it . What should I do to have medical studies in Germany at this stage? Is the tuition fee free in German medical schools? please help me...............
Hi Yeasir ! I am from bangladesh .I want to study medicine in germany too.I have completed my Alevels and now i am learning german language in Goethe-Institut and its not free.If you want to learn german language there,you have to pay for that.

Hey,
I am from Pakistan and have done A-level in Biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics. I got 3A* and one A in mathematics. I was also interrested in studying medicine in Germany, however, I was told that I can not apply directly for medicine in Germany. I got admission in engineering now and I was wondering if I could change the course once I am there. I am also fluent in German language and have an A in O-level German.
Plz Help, I have got admission in Medical in China, its a good university but I dont want to go there......

hey every one i really need some help im going to graduate next year and i really want to study in germany for medicine i really want to know if the universities are free or do they have fees because i also have an eu passport. the next thing i want to know is that can i study in english there or i need to know german. do i need to make an entrance exam or not. i really appreciate if any one could help me. oh and by the way what grades do i need to have in order to be excepted

break, i m a student graduating this year from high school and i want to apply in germany for medicine. and i have all the above questions u have made 2 years before . :/ can u pls help me out, if u have some info pls share . i would appreciate it so much . thank u in advance .

doccia :)

hi i am studying health care course in ireland for one year. i have done leaving certificate in 2010 from ireland. i want to apply for medicine studies in germany. I have done all three science subjects biology, chemistry , physics and i also did german language in leaving certificate. does any one know what is the procedure and requirement to study medicine in germany:)plzzzzzzzzz reply

stock-photo-a-young-kid-made-a-mistake-hitting-himself-on-the-forehead-36091495.jpg

Search function search function search function. Answered hundreds of times by now, complete with links, tips, and other juicy information.

It amazes me to no end how people want info spoonfed to them, and even after it's spoonfed to them, such as in the detailed writeup of how to get into med school in Germany, they want even that spoonfed to them. Yet they have some high aspirations to attend medical school in Germany, which is fairly difficult and high pressure, though they do not want to simply use the search, nor do they want to make direct contacts with the people in Germany who would determine if their particular qualifications are suitable and acceptable. So they time they spend on SDN is wasted because they could have sent off an email to Germany and gotten direct info. However, that is not to be.

Last edited:
stock-photo-a-young-kid-made-a-mistake-hitting-himself-on-the-forehead-36091495.jpg

Search function search function search function. Answered hundreds of times by now, complete with links, tips, and other juicy information.

It amazes me to no end how people want info spoonfed to them, and even after it's spoonfed to them, such as in the detailed writeup of how to get into med school in Germany, they want even that spoonfed to them. Yet they have some high aspirations to attend medical school in Germany, which is fairly difficult and high pressure, though they do not want to simply use the search, nor do they want to make direct contacts with the people in Germany who would determine if their particular qualifications are suitable and acceptable. So they time they spend on SDN is wasted because they could have sent off an email to Germany and gotten direct info. However, that is not to be.

Thank you! I got tired of answering the same old stuff over and over. Please guys, use the search function (it's there for a reason).

One of the things that bugs me is that the few who are actually attending medical school in European countries do not give back. You are the exception, as you've donated a lot of time to helping. However, it's not any fault of those attending. Naturally, time is a constraint, and on top of that, there's little to no point in posting in this wasteland, since every thread gets derailed by someone in Pakistan who aspires to go to medical school in country X, no language ability, and does not read the posts above his/her reply, nor looks through the search.

So good info gets buried and those with experience don't want to deal with it. The remainder of threads just get derailed and everyone needs "plz help!!!" right away.

I really wish current med school students out here could gather, but unfortunately, what we have here is little better than spambots.

One of the things that bugs me is that the few who are actually attending medical school in European countries do not give back. You are the exception, as you've donated a lot of time to helping. However, it's not any fault of those attending. Naturally, time is a constraint, and on top of that, there's little to no point in posting in this wasteland, since every thread gets derailed by someone in Pakistan who aspires to go to medical school in country X, no language ability, and does not read the posts above his/her reply, nor looks through the search.

So good info gets buried and those with experience don't want to deal with it. The remainder of threads just get derailed and everyone needs "plz help!!!" right away.

I really wish current med school students out here could gather, but unfortunately, what we have here is little better than spambots.

The problem lies I think in the fact that this forum is not very user-friendly. There's a lot of clutter, search button isn't prominent and are there even moderators deleting repeat threads or tagging good ones?

I don't see how the search button isn't prominent. Additionally, it's very easy to even go through a person's post history to find what one is looking for. It's not 2000. Web forums are 13 years old, if not, older.

There might be clutter to some, but the search buttons are in no way obscured.

The mods likely left this forum because it's simply a wasteland. There's a huge contrast between American medical students who are driven, determined, and find what they need, while here, the internationals, or even American students looking international, want even spoonfed info spoonfed to them. From my observations of American med students, as well as med students in Germany, it's a bit easy to see what is and isn't material to at least get in. You force your way in and beat down doors and do legwork. However, here, everyone wants the easiest way, not the right way, and even when it's fed to them, they still can't handle simply searching for the info

So perhaps why there isn't even moderation needed here outside of the scam artist agents that help people get into med schools, but simply steal their money instead. How many times can a busy med student who's done it already answer the same 3 questions over and over? The reason posts aren't deleted is because there's an archive. A wealth of information, if you will. However, a certain type exists here and they don't take advantage of it.

Careful there, slight. That's treading hasty generalisation there.

Anyway I've been there, done that, so it's understandable to me why some people would still post the same questions even after looking through the backlog. Every person's case is different, so each of them would like to be given help based on their unique (or not) circumstances. And like a few threads I've seen here, they're not just interested in how to apply (which has been done to death in these forums and easily found in uni websites) but also in opinions like living conditions, etc. which only current medical students can credibly supply. Or at least, that's what I did when I first joined this forum.

But if you think about it, why else would busy medical students even congregate here if not to actually ask such repetitive question? What else would we talk about? Though quite frankly, I wish this forum was active enough to actually share experiences in medical school instead of answering endless questions.

Wait, I'm posting an observation, and then I get my hand slapped, with my name in bold? Please.

Every person's case is not different. The vast majority of questions are the same one and have been answered dozens, if not, hundreds of times now. Those are the ones getting called out because their cases are not unique, and obviously you're not reading yourself because all these people are doing is either posting in any random thread, without regard for the topic at hand and the OP's situation, or they even post the EXACT SAME QUESTION within a thread where it was answered just a few posts above.

Why would active medical students congregate here? Well, the american ones do outside of this forum! An observation you chastised me for as a generalization. The foreign med students, for the most part, don't congregate here because this forum is a wasteland. It's a self-supporting cycle on top of that, but when threads are repeatedly hijacked to no end, then it's perfectly understandable. Or thread after thread pops up of the same question with a thousand exclamation points that needs to be answered now!!!!! despite the answer being in the post directly above their thread bump, then it becomes annoying.

Careful there, slight. That's treading hasty generalisation there.

Anyway I've been there, done that, so it's understandable to me why some people would still post the same questions even after looking through the backlog. Every person's case is different, so each of them would like to be given help based on their unique (or not) circumstances. And like a few threads I've seen here, they're not just interested in how to apply (which has been done to death in these forums and easily found in uni websites) but also in opinions like living conditions, etc. which only current medical students can credibly supply. Or at least, that's what I did when I first joined this forum.

But if you think about it, why else would busy medical students even congregate here if not to actually ask such repetitive question? What else would we talk about? Though quite frankly, I wish this forum was active enough to actually share experiences in medical school instead of answering endless questions.

See what I mean? Look at the title of the thread, then look at the post above this.

hey im Sarah, i live in England but actually have German Nationality. I want to study Medicine in Germany, but seriously dont know how or when i can apply. Since i am actually German nationality it should be easier but hey its really not lol. Erm... can any1 help??

Also does any1 know can u study medicine in Germany in English?
Thnks
Sarah xx

Hello everyone

I know this is a late post. I came from Germany to the UK in year 9. I am in my final year of A2 and I am studying Biology, Chemsitry, Physics and German. I also got A* in my GCSE German. I am planning to study Medicine in Germany. I can speak fluent German

Can someone help me out please?
How to get in and if I can get in any Uni at all. Am I going to need to pass a test of some sort.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
hello everyone,
my name is najoua . I am from morocco. And I am 18 years old.
I graduated from high school, last year. I will pass the german language exam (B1) on September. I also was a university student, this year. and I succeeded all the exams.
I graduated from high school as ( science physics) student. But when I went to university, I ve chose to study English , so I can focus more on learning German. However, I would like to know if I should apply to STK or DSH. I don't know people who can inform me. I am the youngest. And those who know something, don't like to share it. Also, do they ask for a certain mark. I still have so many questions.
Entschuldigung für die Störung
Vielen Dank