How do I approach this without being annoying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ViergeEnnuyeuse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My med school split my class into groups and assigned each group an advisor. It just so happens that my advisor is a physician in the field that I would like to specialize in. I sent her an email asking her if the med school allows preceptorships in this field, and if so, I would like some information on how to apply. The next day, I received an email from her saying that she would forward my email to the rest of the department to see if anyone would want me to assist them with anything during the summer. I've only received one reply so far and it was just from a PhD with a link for the research program that my school has.

I don't know what to do. I could email some other doctors but since they've already received the email that my advisor sent, I think I would just be annoying them. Clearly if they wanted me, they would have already sent a response. I don't want to do research and my school makes you compose a grant proposal in order to receive funding if you plan on doing research. That just discourages me even more!

Something tells me that what's preventing me from receiving replies from physicians is that I specifically mentioned preceptorship in my email, which implies that I want to get paid. If I offer to volunteer or shadow, I think some doctors would take me up on the offer because hey, free labor. I could shadow but I really need money during the summer. I've done a lot of shadowing in this specialty during my undergrad years so I have a good idea of what goes on daily. I specifically wanted to do a preceptorship in order to earn some cash and network.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I email my advisor and say that I haven't received any responses or should I just wait longer?

Members don't see this ad.

My med school split my class into groups and assigned each group an advisor. It just so happens that my advisor is a physician in the field that I would like to specialize in. I sent her an email asking her if the med school allows preceptorships in this field, and if so, I would like some information on how to apply. The next day, I received an email from her saying that she would forward my email to the rest of the department to see if anyone would want me to assist them with anything during the summer. I've only received one reply so far and it was just from a PhD with a link for the research program that my school has.

I don't know what to do. I could email some other doctors but since they've already received the email that my advisor sent, I think I would just be annoying them. Clearly if they wanted me, they would have already sent a response. I don't want to do research and my school makes you compose a grant proposal in order to receive funding if you plan on doing research. That just discourages me even more!

Something tells me that what's preventing me from receiving replies from physicians is that I specifically mentioned preceptorship in my email, which implies that I want to get paid. If I offer to volunteer or shadow, I think some doctors would take me up on the offer because hey, free labor. I could shadow but I really need money during the summer. I've done a lot of shadowing in this specialty during my undergrad years so I have a good idea of what goes on daily. I specifically wanted to do a preceptorship in order to earn some cash and network.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I email my advisor and say that I haven't received any responses or should I just wait longer?

I would get to know a physician or two in that field. Your advisor or anyone who lectures is a good choice. Simply go up to them after lecture, or shoot them an e-mail. Tell them you think what they do is fascinating and you'd like to come see the clinic and watch for a couple hours.

Once you come in and demonstrate some serious interest, you may have more luck getting some type of preceptorship. They probably won't bite unless they've met you face-to-face with no pretense of payment. I would say, though, that not everyone has funds for such an endeavor and you may have a hard time getting paid for that.

You may also try your educational support office. If your school has required, unpaid preceptorships (like ours), they may be able to help you.

I specifically wanted to do a preceptorship in order to earn some cash and network.

Right there is your problem. Nothing you can do as a first or second year medical student is going to be worth getting paid. If you want to do a research project, you can usually secure some sort of funding for that, but a "preceptorship" isn't going to net you a cash flow. You've gotta be willing to either go at it for free, or do something else for the summer. Despite your objections, it might be best to try to do a short research gig in your preferred field (even if it's with the phd). This will allow you to meet and network with md's in the department, while still taking care of your living expenses. Publishing a paper or presenting a poster will also look good on your CV if your labor is fruitful.

Right there is your problem. Nothing you can do as a first or second year medical student is going to be worth getting paid. If you want to do a research project, you can usually secure some sort of funding for that, but a "preceptorship" isn't going to net you a cash flow. You've gotta be willing to either go at it for free, or do something else for the summer. Despite your objections, it might be best to try to do a short research gig in your preferred field (even if it's with the phd). This will allow you to meet and network with md's in the department, while still taking care of your living expenses. Publishing a paper or presenting a poster will also look good on your CV if your labor is fruitful.

Agree with this. Your other big mistake was exclusively using email. Go in person to your adviser and talk to her. See if she can help hook you up with someone you can volunteer with. This is a very "in person" profession.