How do i ask to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChewyDrop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'am a upcoming junior in college. I have no shadowing hours and was wondering how i should approach a Optometrist? Do i just go to my local optometry and ask them?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, explain that you're a student who is interested in the profession and ask if you could shadow. Most optometrists had to do this at one point before school, so they know what you're talking about. Just be polite, and it shouldn't be a problem.

I was talking to the optometrist that I'm currently shadowing and she agreed with me that it's probably best to email them first. It might take a few days to get a reply, but going there in person may or may not put some pressure on them. They might also be busy, unless you go during their lunch time (which is also difficult because the door will be locked). What I did was find multiple optometrists' emails and send each of them an individual email (don't bcc them). I emailed around 4 and got replies from 2 of them. I'm sending more this week as well. :)