How do I become a Curve Destroyer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh you mean that type of curve buster, I thought you meant nevermind can't help you here.

TheBatman

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
pay attention and ask questions in your lecture if you can. rewrite notes. study in groups. eat healthy and exercise and masturbate at least twice a day if you're single.

Oftentimes, the best people in the class are just naturally better than you because they are more intelligent.

You could study more 10x more but at the end of the day, you are going to do worse. This is especially true in non-memorization-style tests.

It's kind of like comparing yourself to Usain Bolt. You can have the most optimal diet, workout strategy, techniques, and whatever but you are almost certainly not going to beat him in a 100/200m race.

Members don't see this ad :)
]
Oftentimes, the best people in the class are just naturally better than you because they are more intelligent.

You could study more 10x more but at the end of the day, you are going to do worse. This is especially true in non-memorization-style tests.

It's kind of like comparing yourself to Usain Bolt. You can have the most optimal diet, workout strategy, techniques, and whatever but you are almost certainly not going to beat him in a 100/200m race.
Here comes the butt hurt. "But mom said everyone is equal."

I definitely agree with this. Some people are born taller some are born shorter. Some's brains work better than other's.

]

Here comes the butt hurt. "But mom said everyone is equal."

I definitely agree with this. Some people are born taller some are born shorter. Some's brains work better than other's.

Lol yeah. Most people agree that some people have certain physical (like athletic) advantages simply because of genetics.

Intelligence is no different. Sure, you need to put in the work to nurture it but if you hold effort/work constant, then your natural intelligence is the determining factor.

Sometimes, no study method or amount of effort will close the gap. Do the best you can and stop comparing yourself to the curve-setters.

This x 100 !! You need to accept that school comes harder for you than some people and easier for you than others. This is a fact of life that pertains to everything and not just our studies. Some people are gifted and others aren't. It's just life. The thing is to accept it, but understand that you can still be excellent. Work to be the best you that you can be and then be happy with it. It's a struggle, but you have to work on it.

I love lifting weights. I busted my ass for a long time, but I never got the results Arnold got. He's got superior genetics. Mine are mediocre when it comes to being lean and building massive amounts of muscle.

Some baskebtall players practice 100 hours a week for years and don't get to be half as good as Lebron James was as a 14 year old AAU player. Again, that's life.

Btw, chances are you're not "like a nerd", you ARE A nerd. That's okay too.

Reactions: 1 users

I know what you're trying to say, but it isn't helpful. Yes, the OP probably isn't exceptionally gifted, just as the majority of SDN isn't, but it's good to emphasize that doing well in his classes could well be within reach.

His problem could primarily be inefficient study habits, attention issues, sleep deprivation, or other issues that he could talk to somebody about and start to remedy.

OP, you sound EXACTLY like me. I could've written this post. I work so hard but I don't get that much done. I hope we can both find a way to be more efficient with our study time.

Somewhat echoing others here:

OP. I know people exactly like you. However, myself and my close friends were (are) the people who study the night before and ace the exam. We would all take notes in half of our classes (the ones that tested on notes) and not take notes in "slide classes" to allow us to absorb the material IN CLASS. All I have to say is that in college there should rarely be an amount of material that you shouldn't be able to go over in one night. I say this all the time, with the humblest intentions. Think about how many hours you spend in lecture before you have a test. All you need is to go over that many hours of material, because that's all that will be on the test. I will admit sometimes it might take more (finals are a different beast), but the most important thing to realize is your schedule. You should go to class to LEARN the material that the professors will test you on. Minimize the time you spend looking down taking notes. I have seen many times where people in my classes would walk out and say... "What did we just go over?" I'll admit sometimes, especially if you are sleepy, that it's hard to pay attention, but you need to learn in class so that you minimize the amount of self-teaching (teachers are already doing this step for you, it's what you are paying for). Even bad teachers, give you a clue about what they are testing on (hint, it's either lecture, slides, book, or any combo).

The people I know that are similar to OP have a slight case of test anxiety. Half of the battle is being mentally prepared for the test. No amount of thinking about others will change this. A test is not a battle against others, although sometimes it can feel like a battle against "trick" questions. In the end, the score only goes to yourself. One strategy that we have all found helpful for staying "ahead of the curve" is to make sure that you study the hardest for the first test in any class. The first test is THE most important because the EXACT nuances of the particular teacher's testing style is unknown. Knowing and mastering a testing style is equally as important as studying, and in fact, should influence how you study. I believe that anyone can improve their performance with these tips, but I understand how uncomfortable it can be to change styles of education. I don't know if you have taken the MCAT, but learning the material in class will definitely improve your score on this test whose whole goal is to show mastery of the subjects.

With the best intentions, I hope this helps.

disclaimer: I will not be studying this way in medical school, although some of my friends still do this and are passing (it is still possible).

TL;DR Although it may feel uncomfortable, minimize time looking down at notes and absorb material that you are paying to be fed to you. Master the testing styles, and let the styles influence individual study routines.

Also, don't use a highlighter period.

I study a heck of a lot more than some of my classmates and still score worse on some tests. Sometimes I do better. I've set curves and I've also been below the average. I don't care. My goal is to go to medical school. I'm giving it MY best shot. Performing to the best of MY ability. I talk with others, ask them for advice, study with them, etc. But at the end of the it all, it's going to be your application on the table vs. the admissions committee. Is the admissions committee going to compare you to other applicants? Probably. But that's their job, not yours. Put your work in, make yourself the best applicant you can be, and the results will come.

Excuse me while I go set a new PR on squats.

Thread TL;DR

1) Study smart
2) Be smart

Find your personal best methods for #1, and stop comparing yourself to people who can rely almost totally on #2. Be content with having done the best you could, regardless of whether that's a B or an A+.

This helps me, I mean obviously the studying part is important because you have to know the information, but I have a pump up playlist for big exams and make sure that I walk into the test confident that I am going to kill it, even if I may not understand everything. Being confident about succeeding and having the right mind set really can make a difference I think. If I don't take the time to mentally prepare, then I do poorly, so it could be worth it. Oh and spending 10 minutes per class at the end of the day to reread notes or slides and sum them up has done wonders for me too.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely try to simplify what I use to study, and I'll try to focus on key points during lectures. Ultimately, I should be doing the work and thinking--I can't really expect to regurgitate lectures on exams. I'll start studying before and after every lecture. I'm gonna use this summer to change how I've been learning and studying.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You must read this book (attached).

Here's an excerpt

Let me put it another way. If we make an analogy between college and professional basketball, then the rote-reviewing students are all shooting the ball rote-reviewing students are all shooting the ball underhand granny style, while the non-grind straight-A students are those who’ve figured out how to shoot a jump shot. It doesn’t matter if the rote reviewers practice those granny shots twice as many hours as the straight-A students; when it’s game time, the jump shooters are going to score a lot more points. Better technique trumps more effort

One of the best books I've ever read. I hope it changes your life. peace.

Attachments

• How to Become a Straight-a Student (HowEntrepreneur.com) By Ca Newportl.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
@Oncie I read somewhere that writing something is the same as reading it 7 times. I'm not sure if that's true, but I rewrite my notes and it works for me. Also, if you reread/write your notes every night, by the exam, the only thing you shouldn't know cold is really recent material. That's what I do and it makes it easier, prevents cramming, although cramming works for some people :)

All I ever did was read the book. That worked for me.

Here's an excerpt

Awesome advice. I regularly read his blog and he really made me understand the philosphy of deep practice!

Here's an excerpt

Is he implying that college players shoot shots granny style?

Awesome advice. I regularly read his blog and he really made me understand the philosphy of deep practice!
I love his work. Great stuff. Here's an awesome video I watched a few years ago.

If you find it hard to pay attention another way that can help is to take notes a little differently. Instead of writing what you hear, try composing a test. As the professor says something that would make a good test question, write it down along with the correct answer. It will keep your mind engaged and as you get more practice and a familiarity with the professor will find that you're beginning to predict actual test questions
This is an amazing study tip. After lecture and taking notes like this or transforming the basic notes you took into question form, just keep trying to answer the questions with an explanation. Then before a test, ask yourself all of the questions from your notes and answer them properly with an explanation.

What you said resonates with me so much. Care to elaborate?

I took an advance plant physiology class that had elements to it that I had never seen before. The class was so hard and foreign to me that I studied for 4 days straight just to prepare myself for the midterm. I got a 94 knowing damn well I gave it everything I had and still couldn't set the curve. I got the sixth highest score behind 100, 97, 97, 95, 95 with the avg being a 68.

I knew I was at a disadvantage because this class required 0 memorization.
It was all critical thinking like inhibiting this will elicit a response over here or this pathway will have crosstalk with what pathway etc. The professor purposely made it this way to really get us to think and work for our grades.

In anticipation of the final, I studied for 6 days straight this time because there was no way In hell I was going to lose my A. In the end no amount of studying could have prepared me for that test. I memorized every single slide and read every page in the book. I ended up using 0 percent of that info because it was so critically written. I was only able to muster an 81 and ended up with a B+ as my final grade. The two people I spoke to that got As said they only reviewed the night before and basically relied on their background bio knowledge to reason out the answers to the questions ... The one who worked harder ended up getting punished for his tenacity..

Last edited:
In anticipation of the final, I studied for 6 days straight this time because there was no way In hell I was going to lose my A. In the end no amount of studying could have prepared me for that test. I memorized every single slide and read every page in the book. I ended up using 0 percent of that info because it was so critically written. I was only able to muster an 81 and ended up with a B+ as my final grade. The two people I spoke to that got As said they only reviewed the night before and basically relied on their background bio knowledge to reason out the answers to the questions ... The one who worked harder ended up getting punished for his tenacity..
Not sure what to say to be honest, as cliche as it is, you tried your best and your best wasn't good enough. Some people just have an easier time connecting little increments of info and small details to big ideas, and that essentially carries them through 95 percent of a class -- the rest is just memorizing a few things the professor wants. I suppose when the professor asks the critical thinking questions, they go back to the big ideas, and go from there. It's pretty clear your a dedicated student (studying 6 days straight), and your definitely above average in intelligence. All I can say is continue improving your study techniques, what if you're shooting underhand granny style and you only make 85 percent of your shots, while your peers have already a technique down for shooting a basketball and they can easily muster 99 percent accuracy with their three's. Instead of studying 6 days straight, try improving your learning and study technique -- you would probably only need a weekend of complete focus to get the stuff down to end up killing the final.

Last edited:
Not sure what to say to be honest, as cliche as it is, you tried your best and your best wasn't good enough. Some people just have an easier time connecting little increments of info and small details to big ideas, and that essentially carries them through 95 percent of a class -- the rest is just memorizing a few things the professor wants. I suppose when the professor asks the critical thinking questions, they go back to the big ideas, and go from there. It's pretty clear your a dedicated student (studying 6 days straight), and your definitely above average in intelligence. All I can say is continue improving your study techniques, what if you're shooting underhand granny style and you only make 85 percent of your shots, while your peers have already a technique down for shooting a basketball and they can easily muster 99 percent accuracy with their three's. Instead of studying 6 days straight, try improving your learning and study technique -- you would probably only need a weekend of complete focus to get the stuff down to end up killing the final.

and some people are just really good guessers that bluff their way through the tough qs <- lol. on a more serious note, i've been in a similar boat with curve setters and studying super hard only to get a B. so, OP, you're not alone.

First off: Don't call it a curve destroyer. I graduated from a school that is notorious for the gunner pre-med culture. At my school, if there are the following items on an unguaraded desk at a library:
a) latest iphone
b) study guide
Kids steal b. That's how it goes.

Consider working with your classmates. Now I'm not saying "group studying all the way." But review slides with collagues (who are doing well). Try to see the critical thinking they're applying to these topics. You'd be surprised what you can learn from your colleagues. Consider doing assignments with them, old exams, practice problems, reviewing notes with 'em!

First off: Don't call it a curve destroyer. I graduated from a school that is notorious for the gunner pre-med culture. At my school, if there are the following items on an unguaraded desk at a library:
a) latest iphone
b) study guide
Kids steal b. That's how it goes.

Consider working with your classmates. Now I'm not saying "group studying all the way." But review slides with collagues (who are doing well). Try to see the critical thinking they're applying to these topics. You'd be surprised what you can learn from your colleagues. Consider doing assignments with them, old exams, practice problems, reviewing notes with 'em!

Good advice, but working with the "best" students is easier said than done. They don't want a slacker in their study group either.

I've thought about this a lot in my academic lifetime. I believe that a strong contributor to the "uber intelligence" of these people is they have had a very high quality of education in their k-12 public education. I believe this is also why many kids from California are such ridiculous medical school applicants. Areas with large populations tend to put a lot more of their city budget into public education than say.... the piss poor k-12 education that we receive here in the rural Midwest.

In fact, even kids in my classes who were just absolutely ridiculous came from large magnet high schools in St. Louis or Kansas City, not Podunkville from Southeast Missouri.

What do you think?

Similar to what I wrote about MCAT scores and IQ, the ability to become a curve destroyer is affected by:

1) Your innate intelligence/IQ
2) Your development of the intelligence/IQ (via studying, having a high quality K-12 education, etc.)
3) Your peer group

The innate intelligence/IQ generally affects your ceiling/potential. Whether you reach that ceiling/potential depends on your development (e.g., having a good K-12 education, having time to study, motivation, etc.)

Now, like it or not, some people are just innately smarter than others (however you define intelligence). As such, some people's ceilings will still not be good enough to be a "curve destroyer" if the peer group is the top .1%.

In other words, just because you come from a top magnet school and work super hard does not guarantee that you are going to dominate upper-level math classes at MIT. In fact, for most people, even if they studied like their lives depended on it (and studied non-stop), they would still not be able to dominate upper-level math classes at MIT simply because they are not innately smart enough. Studying non-stop would help one reach his/her potential though.

As for your observation, it can also be explained by the fact that people who tend to have high innate intelligence/IQ are those that tend to be at top magnet schools anyways. The high quality of education at these schools only helps these students reach their already above average ceilings.

Similar to what I wrote about MCAT scores and IQ, the ability to become a curve destroyer is affected by:

1) Your innate intelligence/IQ
2) Your development of the intelligence/IQ (via studying, having a high quality K-12 education, etc.)
3) Your peer group

The innate intelligence/IQ generally affects your ceiling/potential. Whether you reach that ceiling/potential depends on your development (e.g., having a good K-12 education, having time to study, motivation, etc.)

Now, like it or not, some people are just innately smarter than others (however you define intelligence). As such, some people's ceilings will still not be good enough to be a "curve destroyer" if the peer group is the top .1%.

In other words, just because you come from a top magnet school and work super hard does not guarantee that you are going to dominate upper-level math classes at MIT. In fact, for most people, even if they studied like their lives depended on it (and studied non-stop), they would still not be able to dominate upper-level math classes at MIT simply because they are not innately smart enough. Studying non-stop would help one reach his/her potential though.

As for your observation, it can also be explained by the fact that people who tend to have high innate intelligence/IQ are those that tend to be at top magnet schools anyways. The high quality of education at these schools only helps these students reach their already above average ceilings.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but at the same time, I still think that if John Smith from Podunkville received the same K-12 education (there is a lot of cognitive development done in these younger years) that Larry Bird did from a public K-12 education in California, John Smith would still be a lot better for it. I'm not saying John Smith would be just as good as Larry Bird or better (He could be though), just that John Smith would be a lot better than he originally was.

You have to understand that Podunkville gives bonus points to kids in high school for bringing in bags of candy every quarter. This is Podunkville we are talking about. Podunkville's "AP" courses consist of Biology courses with teachers who have no idea what they are talking about in which your average AP biology day consists of doing coloring books or playing chess because the teacher doesnt care, and frankly neither do you now because this is what you are used to in Podunkville.

John Smith has received an education of this level for the majority of his education since kindergarten. This is a very real scenario of many rural areas of the USA, and even some of the "bad" areas in large Inner cities, etc etc.

Unfortunately for many of these John Smiths, when they go to the public 4 year state undergrad, they are in for a rude awakening and must now compete with the Larry Birds, Micheal Jordan, Scotty Pippens, Shaqs, Steve Nashs, etc etc etc

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you are saying, but at the same time, I still think that if John Smith from Podunkville received the same K-12 education (there is a lot of cognitive development done in these younger years) that Larry Bird did from a public K-12 education in California, John Smith would still be a lot better for it. I'm not saying John Smith would be just as good as Larry Bird or better (He could be though), just that John Smith would be a lot better than he originally was.

You have to understand that Podunkville gives bonus points to kids in high school for bringing in bags of candy every quarter. This is Podunkville we are talking about. Podunkville's "AP" courses consist of Biology courses with teachers who have no idea what they are talking about in which your average AP biology day consists of doing coloring books or playing chess because the teacher doesnt care, and frankly neither do you now because this is what you are used to in Podunkville.

John Smith has received an education of this level for the majority of his education since kindergarten. This is a very real scenario of many rural areas of the USA, and even some of the "bad" areas in large Inner cities, etc etc.

Unfortunately for many of these John Smiths, when they go to the public 4 year state undergrad, they are in for a rude awakening and must now compete with the Larry Birds, Micheal Jordan, Scotty Pippens, Shaqs, Steve Nashs, etc etc etc

Yep, there's no denying that going to a better school (where you get a better education) would help people achieve their potential. For all we know, the next Einstein could be in Podunkville and as such, may never reach his full society-changing potential.

Yep, there's no denying that going to a better school (where you get a better education) would help people achieve their potential. For all we know, the next Einstein could be in Podunkville and as such, may never reach his full society-changing potential.

This is why if I have kids, I will make every effort to get them to at least a decent k-12 public education system. Not Podunkville.com.

Edit: Not bashing my parents by any means. Im a child of immigrant parents. We didnt have too many options of moving around to say the least.

Last edited:
This is why if I have kids, I will make every effort to get them to at least a decent k-12 public education system. Not Podunkville.com.
Just want to add that driven students can challenge themselves in crap schools. Get some textbooks from a couple grades higher to teach yourself from, find good challenging reading material in the library, go online to find resources for SAT prep if your school has none, and so on. Definitely a harder route though

Good advice, but working with the "best" students is easier said than done. They don't want a slacker in their study group either.
You're absolutely correct - sometimes that group of brainiacs just keeps to themself! It was late when I was typing this response. I meant a group of friends that are doing better than you/group of students that are approachable.

Another point: Use the TAs. Especially if they are Undergrad TAs. They all took that class and did incredible in it, so their input is so so valuable. Maybe there are some tips and tricks they know of that they used to excel. Certainly use them, that's what they're there for!

Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate all your sound advice.

Flash cards feel like isolated facts to me :shrug:, what ways and classes do you yourself use flash cards to learn?
In my opinion, flash cards worked best for me in classes with brute memorization. I used them for anatomy. Just names, pictures, and definitions. Flash cards won't necessarily help for more in-depth thinking courses (such as calculus 2 for example, flashcards are not a good way to memorize sequence and series, practice problems are!)

I agree with comments that you should find what works best for you and what doesn't, and actively assess/adapt/change your study methods.

For myself, and I think this can apply generally to everyone too, it doesn't really matter how much I grasped during the lecture. I find that I take great notes, listen very effectively and feel like I've "got it" in several lectures. But unless I follow up later that same day to review the notes and summarize/otherwise study them, it will all vanish from my mind. The key isn't studying for hours straight, or taking perfect notes, or understanding during lectures. The real key is regular and consistent studying of the material in short bursts. The more times you look at your material, the better you'll be able to retain it. So ideally, you might find yourself in the situation where you just need to review everything again for a couple hours the night before an exam and you can ace it, because you were keeping up with the material all along.

If possible, try recording your lectures and just listening when you're in class rather than frantically taking notes. Then spend some time later (must be same day!) to listen to your recording and take notes on the key points. For some people, they only need to spend a couple minutes at this, others may need an hour or more. Do what works best for you, and stop caring about how others study. You don't really know what else they're doing on the side (or not).

EDIT: Btw, I just want to add, I SO wish I'd seen this thread sooner or been on SDN sooner. This is such a solid and comforting community of premeds. It took a very steep battle alone for me to start getting better grades, and I started in the exact same position as you OP. My GPA could have been much stronger if I'd started coming on SDN earlier! Hindsight is 20/20 indeed... I'm still taking some courses right now, so I'm excited to see how I can pool all the advice here and finally achieve that 4.0 semester!

Last edited:
@acetylmandarin Check out the pdf I posted of Cal Newport's book in that earlier post. If that book helps you support him by buying the book and donating to him.

We freshman keep it for 2 semrsters then lose it in the future
Haha, my only not 4.0 semester was my first (3.7). it actually reduced stress because I never had to worry about ruining my 4.0.

I feel clumsy, inefficient, and inept. I make a big deal out of studying. I'll probably sit for hours staring at physiology slides or a genetics textbook unable to garner much other than a few key points. Even watching YouTube videos, my attention lacks at times as I may zone out or feel the need to repeat the previous seconds of the video with the idea of telling myself I may have missed some good points.

I carry around a whole ton of books and highlighters and pens and pencils like I'm some kind of superhero geek at studying. I've got this schedule on excel that I regularly edit and plan out every stupid daily event to the minute detail like I'm the CEO of Goldman Sachs.

But then I meet guys who take several upper-level chemistry or engineering classes a semester, make a 4.0, and don't say a word about it. There's a computer engineer I play soccer with taking taking 21 credits while somehow working a job and maintains his relationships with his networks. I see guys in the back of the lecture halls who don't write down squat and make perfect scores on the exams. Another in my physiology class has been on his senior slide having gotten into Johns Hopkins, doesn't write anything and instead browses reddit but somehow manages to score a 98 on the exams while I'm stuck in the average pile -- how'd you study I'd ask him, "I just looked over the slides lol" he says sheepishly.

Meanwhile, I'm in the front row trying to copy down every word I hear in 7 different colors, like some silly 8th grade nerd. I meet guys in the library who only carry around a 20 cent notebook and a #2 pencil, but can legitimately focus on their biochem textbooks for several hours straight. They can somehow start studying the previous night before an exam and still make that A.

How do I get into this ice-cold mentality of efficiency, concentration, and dedication to the craft?

Study in periods of time throughout the day. Not one in day sitting, I think at least. Time management is crucial.

Haha, my only not 4.0 semester was my first (3.7). it actually reduced stress because I never had to worry about ruining my 4.0.

You strategized awfully well. It's hard to tell whether its worth losing or whether keeping it has a huge marginal benefit over a 3.8-3.9

You strategized awfully well. It's hard to tell whether its worth losing or whether keeping it has a huge marginal benefit over a 3.8-3.9
I've always thought a 3.8-3.9 looked more impressive coupled with a high MCAT than a 4.0 and high MCAT. Idk why, I guess I subconsciously assume the kid had a life/worked hard instead of no-lifed/is a genius.

I've always thought a 3.8-3.9 looked more impressive coupled with a high MCAT than a 4.0 and high MCAT. Idk why, I guess I subconsciously assume the kid had a life/worked hard instead of no-lifed/is a genius.

Yes, I think it has to do with perception, fair or not. I think 3.8+ looks more like things didn't work out at first and then the student learned to work hard and excel, whereas 4.0 just looks like someone cruising. Like I said, probably not a fair assessment but I think that's how our minds might subconsciously interpret it.