How do I become a GMO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustbones26

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, from what I understand, if you apply for a residency, do not get match, after internship year, you may become a GMO and keep trying year after year to match into the program of your liking.

However, I do have one question, what if it is your goal to become a GMO? What if you do not desire to do ANY residency, you just want to do internship, do GMO to pay back time, and get out, how does one go about doing this. So far, from what I understand, you cannot be a GMO unless you do not match into a program.

Advice from anybody???

Members don't see this ad.

well one would have to ask you why your Goal is to become a GMO? They make next to nothing. About 20K less than what an FP in the military would make. Also why go to all that school if you want to be a GMO, you could get the same privledges by going to a PA program and it would take a ton less time.

Sounds like he wants to get out as fast as possible without incurring any additional obligation. GMO=2 year tour and back to CIVLANT.

You will automatically go into this pool if you don't request training after internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I see, but still, you then have to do a residency afterwards as well. I guess it just means less time in the military, but I would just try for a civilian residency rather than go the GMO route.

okay guys let met clarify myself.

First, I do not want to be a GMO because I want to get out as fast as possible.

Second, I don't care if GMO's don't get paid well, I just had my med school paid for, who cares?

So why do I want to be a GMO then?

I am stuck, I am a fourth year medical student and realize that it was a huge mistake for me to become a doctor!! I don't want to go into details here guys but trust me, I would like to collect my DO degree, pay back my time, and leave with my tail between my legs and go into research or possibly back into the job I used to do before medical school! That is my goal.

Unfortunately, I have this HPSP obligation. I do not want the pain of going through residency and paying back my time as a board certified something if it truly is not my intention to be a physician afterall. Its just not fair to the patients.

So, if somebody could just help me through, somebody advise me on how to be a GMO, not talk me out of it, not question my why, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time

Ah, well then I understand, and applaud you. I too have had doubts at time, hopefully they don't exacerbate as I continue my education

bustbones,

You're Army, right? I gotta imagine the quickest way is Transitional Internship as FYGME and hounding the MC assignments officer for a BN Surgeon slot. Going to Ft. Rucker & earning your FS wings might make you eligible for more slots.
ETA: Oh yeah, getting your license ASAP...

Good luck,