How do I bring this up in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squirr3lly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm been fortunate enough to have been accepted to a medical school already that I'd be happy to go to. A few days ago, I got a II for another school that I think I'd like to go to even more. I'm taking a gap year right now and worked as a scribe for 6 months. Now, I've been tutoring for the past few months. My problem is that I know interviewers will ask me what I am doing/did during my gap year and why I quit scribing. It was great experience and it showed me a lot about life as a physician, but I eventually quit because of the low pay and the commute (~1-1.5 hr each way) once I was accepted. Honestly, I felt I got all I could out of it during that time as well and wanted another job that payed a little more before I started medical school. How should I bring this up? I've also been debating whether or not to even accept the II because of this. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really think they'll specifically ask you why you quit scribing, but nearly everyone will ask you the "tell me about yourself" question at the beginning (or some variation), so this is really your opportunity to lead the conversation in a direction you want. You could, when answering this question, say that you scribed for a while and you enjoyed the experience but you wanted to supplement the experience by helping others in a different way, ie tutoring. No one is going to think you hate medicine because you "only" scribed for 6 months.

I've also been debating whether or not to even accept the II because of this.

I don't understand how this would make any sense. Not going to an interview at a school you really want to go to is the surest way to ruin your chances there.

To me, the exact reason you gave sounds totally reasonable. Unless you're some trust fund baby, you need to make rent and pay off loans. A low paying job with an hour+ commute isn't going to do that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the helpful responses guys.

I don't understand how this would make any sense. Not going to an interview at a school you really want to go to is the surest way to ruin your chances there.

I didn't phrase the last part of my original post that well. I don't want to reject the II. I questioned whether or not I would be seriously considered since it's kind of late in the cycle and I thought that quitting my scribe job would
dampen my chances even more. Thanks for helping me realize I don't really have to worry too much about this.

I'm in a similar situation. Once I was accepted, I moved back home to save money. Because of that, I had to quit my research job which didn't really pay at all. I'm now working in a completely unrelated field to make some money before starting medical school. But... I recently received an II for next month. I'm thinking I might find a way to do some additional clinical volunteer work just to show I'm still committed. However, I don't think they can really hold it against you if your application speaks for itself already and you had to make a choice based on your current physical/financial circumstances. At least they shouldn't, anyway.

When you're asked "is there anything else you'd like us to know"? or "Is there anything you'd like to tell us that isn't in your app?"

Hey guys,
I'm been fortunate enough to have been accepted to a medical school already that I'd be happy to go to. A few days ago, I got a II for another school that I think I'd like to go to even more. I'm taking a gap year right now and worked as a scribe for 6 months. Now, I've been tutoring for the past few months. My problem is that I know interviewers will ask me what I am doing/did during my gap year and why I quit scribing. It was great experience and it showed me a lot about life as a physician, but I eventually quit because of the low pay and the commute (~1-1.5 hr each way) once I was accepted. Honestly, I felt I got all I could out of it during that time as well and wanted another job that payed a little more before I started medical school. How should I bring this up? I've also been debating whether or not to even accept the II because of this. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Honestly, I feel medical schools should understand and accept your reasons for leaving. Saving up for medical school expenses shows responsibility and maturity even if you are going to pay the majority of expenses with loans. I think it would be unfair for medical schools to look down on you for leaving a medical related job so you could get better pay somewhere else. If medical schools expect us to be compassionate and understanding then they should do the same. I would give the benefit of the doubt to med schools but I can see why you are asking this question. We've been ingrained to believe adcoms are cutthroat people that reject people once they find out about any inconsistencies or find applicants that show lack of interest in medicine as in your case by leaving a scribe job for a random job for more money. Anyway, your reasons are valid hence why I believe Goro made no objections. Good Luck!

I'm thinking I might find a way to do some additional clinical volunteer work just to show I'm still committed. However, I don't think they can really hold it against you if your application speaks for itself already and you had to make a choice based on your current physical/financial circumstances. At least they shouldn't, anyway.

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing and volunteering at a local hospital for a few hours a week. I'm not sure yet. It'll feel so weird to do this after scribing, but it might be a good idea to further demonstrate a commitment to medicine.

EDIT: Based on the posts so far, it doesn't seem to be a necessity for us though if we already have good exposure. Again, thanks for the comments everyone!

Last edited: