How do I convince parents medical school is not right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fixyou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a sophomore right now and I have been taking premed requirements since the beginning of freshman year. There was a point during fall semester this year when I kind of mentally broke down because of all the pressure from organic chemistry and physics and I just couldn't take it anymore. I figured if I can't handle this, there's no way i'll be able to handle medical school. I wrote a letter to my parents and explained to them how I'm going through all this mental stress. In the beginning they were supportive and said if I'm not happy with it, i don't have to do it. But a couple of days later my dad called me and told me how he moved to this country only for my education and all of his hard work was just a waste if I couldn't be a doctor. He manipulated my words and made me convince myself that med school was after all right for me. He told me if it was the money I was worrying about, then that shouldn't be a problem and he will make sure I don't take any loans and he'd pay for everything by himself. He made it sound like if I don't become a doctor, I've basically wasted his work and effort and he thinks if I don't use "the amazing opportunities this country has to offer" then I'm basically just living for nothing. He thinks I have the potential to be the best and I shouldn't be settling for anything less.

I personally do love biology but I just don't think i'll be able to commit to all the time and work and goes in to becoming a doctor. I would absolutely love to be a physician assistant and I think that job is perfect for me. How do I convince my dad that this is right for me and not medical school? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If reasoning with your parents doesn't work, take the MCAT without studying and score as low as possible so that applying would be impossible. Don't screw up your GPA, though. I know it's passive-aggressive, but sometimes parents just won't listen to you telling them what you want.

Do you have a career in mind that you find more interesting? You'll help your case more if you have a solid plan in place of med school.

Hey everyone. I'm a sophomore right now and I have been taking premed requirements since the beginning of freshman year. There was a point during fall semester this year when I kind of mentally broke down because of all the pressure from organic chemistry and physics and I just couldn't take it anymore. I figured if I can't handle this, there's no way i'll be able to handle medical school. I wrote a letter to my parents and explained to them how I'm going through all this mental stress. In the beginning they were supportive and said if I'm not happy with it, i don't have to do it. But a couple of days later my dad called me and told me how he moved to this country only for my education and all of his hard work was just a waste if I couldn't be a doctor. He manipulated my words and made me convince myself that med school was after all right for me. He told me if it was the money I was worrying about, then that shouldn't be a problem and he will make sure I don't take any loans and he'd pay for everything by himself. He made it sound like if I don't become a doctor, I've basically wasted his work and effort and he thinks if I don't use "the amazing opportunities this country has to offer" then I'm basically just living for nothing. He thinks I have the potential to be the best and I shouldn't be settling for anything less.

I personally do love biology but I just don't think i'll be able to commit to all the time and work and goes in to becoming a doctor. I would absolutely love to be a physician assistant and I think that job is perfect for me. How do I convince my dad that this is right for me and not medical school? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Be a grown up and put your foot down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered that maybe you don't want to do it because it's "difficult" not because you can't?

I know people will give you advice towards going away from medicine, but I mean this on a genuine human level, if you don't want to do it because it's hard or you think you can't handle it stop right there. Life is tough. Being "successful" is tough. Both of which you're going to have to go through no matter what you do, but never let it be your limiting factor.

Yes, I do know what I want to do and that is be a physician assistant. And i can see how the conversation with my father would go when I tell him this. All he'd keep saying is "why do you have to work as an assistant when you have the potential to be on the top"?

One of my best friends was in a similar situation - she really wanted to do something else in bio, but her parents were really really really insistent on med. The summer she took the MCAT she diligently went to the library every day and "studied for the MCAT" - although in actuality she studied for the GRE knowing that would be the test she needed for the career she actually wanted...then when she failed(ish) her MCAT, she cried to her parents about how she had worked so hard only to fail at this point, took her GRE, did fantastically on it, and now her parents are so proud that she was able to overcome her problem and find another career in such a short period of time that would be perfect for her. Im not saying you should be so manipulative or lie to your parents or not just "grow some balls" and tell them its your life, but I am saying that I can understand the pressures some people have from their parents (especially people whose parents were not born here) and some people have gone this route to deal with it...

Yes, I do know what I want to do and that is be a physician assistant. And i can see how the conversation with my father would go when I tell him this. All he'd keep saying is "why do you have to work as an assistant when you have the potential to be on the top"?

Tell him it's YOUR life.

I thought you were having trouble with the pre-reqs...aren't they the same for PA school? Just trying to be realistic, honestly I'd tell anyone to go for PA above MD unless they absolutely can't "settle" for PA.

I thought you were having trouble with the pre-reqs...aren't they the same for PA school? Just trying to be realistic, honestly I'd tell anyone to go for PA above MD unless they absolutely can't "settle" for PA.
My advisor said the same thing...I don't understand why anyone would shoot for PA, my philosophy is to aim for the highest and if you hit lower, well at least you know you tried, right?

One of my best friends was in a similar situation - she really wanted to do something else in bio, but her parents were really really really insistent on med. The summer she took the MCAT she diligently went to the library every day and "studied for the MCAT" - although in actuality she studied for the GRE knowing that would be the test she needed for the career she actually wanted...then when she failed(ish) her MCAT, she cried to her parents about how she had worked so hard only to fail at this point, took her GRE, did fantastically on it, and now her parents are so proud that she was able to overcome her problem and find another career in such a short period of time that would be perfect for her. Im not saying you should be so manipulative or lie to your parents or not just "grow some balls" and tell them its your life, but I am saying that I can understand the pressures some people have from their parents (especially people whose parents were not born here) and some people have gone this route to deal with it...

:thumbup: awesome. Smart move.:laugh:

You'd tell anyone to go to pa school vs. medical school? Interesting. Why would you say that?
Are you going to go to pa school? Too pedestrian for you?
I would never want to be a PA, not because it's "settling" but because I wouldn't want to do the job. Would you tell me that I should have gone to pa school? Did I make a bad career choice? Perhaps PAs make more money or something?
:sleep:

Last edited:
I thought you were having trouble with the pre-reqs...aren't they the same for PA school?

:thumbup:

OP, sorry to hear about your situation. Your parents will eventually come to the realization that this is your life. Do not let anyone manipulate you into doing something you do not want to do. Be both reasonable, stern and confident in your conversations with your parents. They will likely have an easier time with the news if they may observe that you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.

Search deeply for what you want to do, you likely entered college with the idea that you wanted to be a doctor and have not yet had a chance to explore what other wonders are out there.

You can do this. Hang in there.

Last edited:
:thumbup: awesome. Smart move.:laugh:

LOL, I wonder what she would have done if her parents had insisted she go to a Caribbean medical school with no MCAT requirement :rolleyes:.

OP, stop taking your parents' money, start taking some loans for your education. As long as you are taking their money, you are sort of obligated to listen to what they say. Tell them that it's your life.

Members don't see this ad :)

Cute story, but you shouldn't need to deceive your parents. Be frank, tell them what you decided to do. They have to learn you are an adult and that you can take charge of your life. Defying your parents is a stage you have to go through and this will be a minor, costless way to pass that hurdle; much better than a teenage rebellion. They eventually will respect your decision and be proud you can fly on your own.

heaf-2.jpg

You'd tell anyone to go to pa school vs. medical school? Interesting. Why would you say that?
Are you going to go to pa school? Too pedestrian for you?
I would never want to be a PA, not because it's "settling" but because I wouldn't want to do the job. Would you tell me that I should have gone to pa school? Did I make a bad career choice? Perhaps PAs make more money or something?
:sleep:

Wow, relax. What I'm saying is that I'd tell anyone who was considering PA school instead of med school to go with the former. Unless you are passionate about becoming a physician (as I am), I think that being a PA is a great option. Less schooling, great money, less liability. I think most people who are applying to med school would say that they would much rather be a physician, or I'd hope so. But I think that for people who are at all unsure, it's better to go the PA route.

Oh her parents wouldnt even CONSIDER her applying DO not to mention caribbean. It was a very interesting mentality and although I wouldnt want to have that relationship with my parents, knowing hers I dont blame her.

A few questions for the OP to get a better idea of the cultural issues at play.

1- Where did your Dad come from?
2- How long ago did he get into the US?
3- Did your Mom come from the same country?
4- Were you born abroad?
5- What is your gender?
6- How many sibblings, their age and gender and what birth number were you?

Thanks.

Also, remember your parents want what is best for you, or what they think is best for you. American (and Canadian) culture can, to many immigrants, seem very weird, especially the impression of "laisser-faire" they get from American parents and the perceived lack of discipline and laziness they perceive from Amrican youths. Of course, they generally don't see the neibourhood kids much after they leave home and they may not know how Americans can change and become succesful after becoming adults. It's just that they cannot imagine people changing so much with so little "guidance" early on. This is not a condemnation of either culture, just an observation in growing up and parental input.

Last edited:
I don't understand why some immigrants are so tough on their kids. You come to america because you want more opportunities for your progeny, and when they show interest in something other than what you want them to have you freak out. What's the point of even coming here if you're not going to give them their chance to choose?

I don't understand why some immigrants are so tough on their kids. You come to america because you want more opportunities for your progeny, and when they show interest in something other than what you want them to have you freak out. What's the point of even coming here if you're not going to give them their chance to choose?

They want opportunities for their kids, but they also want to make damn sure the kids get them. They know it takes a lot of work, but it often takes a lot more work where they came from to get the same opportunities. They do their part, they expect you to do yours, and then some.

They want opportunities for their kids, but they also want to make damn sure the kids get them. They know it takes a lot of work, but it often takes a lot more work where they came from to get the same opportunities. They do their part, they expect you to do yours, and then some.
I'm glad my parents are completely opposite. They're immigrants too, but they are completely laxed. Maybe a bit too laxed...:confused: [Unfortunate Implications]

Last edited:
Dad and mom are both from India. We moved to the US 6 years ago. So yes, I was born in India. And I'm a female. I have one older brother who's 25 and is now working with an iphone apps development company. He loves what he's doing and my parents don't have a problem with it at all since he's doing extremely well for himself.

Dad and mom are both from India. We moved to the US 6 years ago. So yes, I was born in India. And I'm a female. I have one older brother who's 25 and is now working with an iphone apps development company. He loves what he's doing and my parents don't have a problem with it at all since he's doing extremely well for himself.
Is it true that the Indian culture is close to that of the eastern asians in terms of education? It seems to be such a rampant stereotype that its even ingrained in disney cartoons:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdBZl_H-iE[/YOUTUBE]

My dad is a successful businessman and he immigrated from Pakistan about 40 years ago. However he never let go of that immigrant mentality for the kids to be a doctor. I wanted to go into mechanical engineering or even business management but the old man wouldn't hear of it.

So I dragged my feet through college and hated biology, organic chemistry and all that. I even avoided the mcat but ended up at a Carib school. Finished the boards and now I finally enjoy the profession. So the moral of the story is it can go both ways.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1 user

Do what YOU want to do. Medicine is not just a career, like being a plumber. It doesn't only impact the person who chooses the route (the physician)
Medicine impacts patients, which could be you, me, my mother, your brother, etc.
I would want the person person treating me to be there for the right reasons, not because they were pressured by a norm and by their families.

Dad and mom are both from India. We moved to the US 6 years ago. So yes, I was born in India. And I'm a female. I have one older brother who's 25 and is now working with an iphone apps development company. He loves whwithat he's doing and my parents don't have a problem with it at all since he's doing extremely well for himself.

Ouch! It will be very difficult to convert them to your point of view. Most of my younger Indian and other South Asian friends don't see eye to eye with their parents, but they were born here or moved here very young. It's even harder for the women, because they are often expected to be under their father's guidance until they get married and, to make matters worse, once they get married (to a young man from the same tradition), they often start a family and their education hardly gets used. One of the possible ways you can convince your parents as a young woman is to tell them you want to be a good wife and mother and that getting such expensive education would not only be overly expensive, but it may delay the start of a family. You can always tell them later that you changed your mind. Of course, as an outsider, I don't know enough about your particular culture. I was hoping you'd say Japanese of Filipina. I wish you all the best.

that was really sweet of you to say. i think i was and still kind of am going through that crisis now. it is really tough and i sometimes think i should quit while i'm ahead. but you're right, it should not be the limiting factor. everything is tough. thanks! you made me feel SO much better.

I know people will give you advice towards going away from medicine, but I mean this on a genuine human level, if you don't want to do it because it's hard or you think you can't handle it stop right there. Life is tough. Being "successful" is tough. Both of which you're going to have to go through no matter what you do, but never let it be your limiting factor.

That was really sweet of you to say! look at my previous comment to you

Western African and I just realized I forgot the extra "o" in too.

Wow! You surprised me with that one. My great grandfather came from Cameroon. He moved here with my grandmother when she was very young, soon after my great grandmother died. According to my grandmother, he was very strict, but very kind. Since she was a woman, she was expected to be a housewife and raise a family, so there was no pressure to get educated. He was very tolerant though and my grandfather, who was white liked him very much. He never insisted that my grandmother married in the same culture, not like there was a lot of variety in rural Canada. Since then, a few distant relatives moved from Cameroon and most of them did pretty well, in great part because of parental pressure. I met a few of them and they all said they were pushed pretty hard by their parents.

Shorter training.
Less debt.
In demand.
Geographic flexibility.
Reasonable autonomy.
Less liability.
Good earning potential.
Enhanced fertility.
Decreased risk of suicide.

Cute story, but you shouldn't need to deceive your parents. Be frank, tell them what you decided to do. They have to learn you are an adult and that you can take charge of your life. Defying your parents is a stage you have to go through and this will be a minor, costless way to pass that hurdle; much better than a teenage rebellion. They eventually will respect your decision and be proud you can fly on your own.

Most reasonable quote on SDN.:thumbup: OP tell them what you actually want. Its your career and your future. Just make sure you will be happy with your decisions 20+ years from now.

Shorter training.
Less debt.
In demand.
Geographic flexibility.
Reasonable autonomy.
Less liability.
Good earning potential.
Enhanced fertility.
Decreased risk of suicide.

Then do Podiatry. Your patients won't die, you won't get sued. Pods can make as much as MDs too.

If you're worried about getting cut off financially, it's actually opposite. Your parents will support you if you are not pursuing medical school. It's once the parents are confident you are genuinely committed to medicine as a career is when they cut you off cause they know you're going.

I think ultimately your parents came here and are acting this way because they want you to be happy, safe, and successful. That is huge, that is awesome, that shows they really love you. At some point they got a little misguided and equated happy with "doctor." That's somewhat understandable since it pays well with good job security and is noble and such.

I think you need to either have a long talk with your parents or write a letter to them FIRST acknowledging how much you appreciate their concern, support, and the fact that they have moved to a new country and worked very hard so you can have the chance at a good life. THEN explain that you know that they ultimately want your happiness and that you are sure (if this is true) that being a doctor would not make you happy. Be sure to follow this up with what WILL make you happy - and I don't mean like being a street artist - have a good, solid plan for a secure career that will make you fulfilled, support you, and contribute to society. If you don't know what that is yet, I suggest taking some time with a counselor to hammer that out before approaching your parents. I think if you are indecisive and inarticulate your parents will be mad, but if you are clear with what you want and know how to get there they will respond better.

If you have truly approached your parents in an adult, reasonable, and thankful way and they still are not having it, it's time to grab life by the horns or whatever and make your own path. Make a plan and follow it. If they cut you off and kick you out, well, it sucks but you will make your own life and be the better for it (been there... done that... not fun but worthwhile).

Boy don't I understand where you are coming from. I am African myself and lets just say that the pressure from parents and family can be too much. Luckily for me I have always wanted to be a doctor so I didn't/don't have to get out of it, but I can't imagine doing another career choice that would be considered useless to many of the African Parents and trust me they are many choices that you are told to avoid and that you wouldn't be able to survive on such a career. My mom looked at me with such disappointment when I told her I would be going to graduate school instead of Med school and had to call gazillion of my family members to talk some sense into me. ( Personally I knew med school was the choice, but was just weighing my option of what if Med school didn't/doesn't work out). At some point though you have to grow some horns and stand your foot. It's your life and whatever choice you make you have to live with it. Would you rather do something that you are really miserable at or something that you enjoy and are proud of? Good luck!

You sound like a caged bird who needs to have some freedom in order to appreciate how wonderful your cage and endless supply or food and water was........

Youre over 18 right? Ignore your parents and become a physicians assistant. Take out loans and start paying for school by yourself so that you don't feel guilty for wasting your fathers money. Problem solved. It's your life and they will have to deal with whatever you decide to do. You can always apply to medical school later.

It is easy to become poor in America and not enjoy a lot of what America has to offer if you do not have a well paying job, and health/dental/vision. To get that it's necessary to have a professional career.

But I also think its probably just personality. Immigrants are usually industrious people who seek a better life, otherwise they wouldn't be here. So it makes sense that they'd expect the same from their kids

I think this quote is appropriate from one of my favorite authors.

"Your life is yours alone. Rise up, and live it."
~Terry Goodkind

I will go against the consensus here because following some of the advice in this thread might get you in pretty bad situation in your life.

So that you know, I am not advocating you blindly follow what your parents are telling you and go for MD/DO, but there are certain things that you may want to consider. The culture you belong to is much more communal and less individualistic than mainstream American culture. The decisions made by younger people are often viewed from the standpoint of what benefits family/community more than what that person thinks will make him or her happy. Some people on this board would have an issue with that, but for numerous individuals this approach (even looking statistically at income levels or suicide rates) has been more successful. From the standpoint of your parents, the family would benefit more from having a doctor than a PA or RN. Some of it is pride, some of it connections, and prestige. Many of those things matter, especially within smaller ethnic communities. People who haven't experienced these pressure will have hard time understanding your situation. Bottom line, there is a good reason immigrants from East and South Asia are successful in America and mentality like that is a big part of it.

Again, I am not advocating you follow what your parents are telling you, but be smart and try to understand where your family is coming from. It will often require you to balance your desires with what your family wants. Being part of a subculture like that is a blessing and a curse, but honestly, I am fairly certain that you will regret your actions if you decide to "put your foot down" as recommended. The people in your family will be the ones to take care of you throughout your life and not some strangers from the internet suggesting showing middle finger to your parents. Be smart and pick your battles wisely. If there are ways for you to somehow do what you want without fighting with you parents - explore them fist.

Lastly, don't feel envious of people who can do whatever they want and never have to worry about what their parents might think.

as a long time PA I would recommend you try for the MD route with all you've got. you have supportive parents willing to pay for your schooling. either you like medicine or you don't. PA's and docs both practice medicine. if you like medicine go to medical school. if you don't, do something else. do you want to practice independently or have restrictions(some legitimate, some not) placed on your practice? do you want other folks(often administrators) to place you in a box based on your degree and not your skills?
to get into a good PA school you need good grades in addition to some( > 1000 hrs for most good programs with high end programs wanting 2000+) health care experience. PA school is really designed for folks who already have professional level jobs(paramedic, rn, rt, etc) in healthcare as a next step, not as an entry level career out of college. the prereqs for PA school (at least the ms programs) and an MD program overlap pretty closely with the exception of no physics for PA school(and physics is fun, it's the reward for having to put up with the worthless bs of chemistry).
5 years after becoming a PA you will want to be a doc and at that point going back is much more difficult. trust me, I tried(and got good grades). working full time(+) while taking college level science courses is brutal. I did it for 2 years and never saw my family which lead me to stop trying. seriously, before you give up on the MD route because of a few tough courses give it your best shot.
pm me if you want more inside scoop on the life of a pa....you can be excellent in your field, run circles around almost everyone and still take crap from anyone 1 day out of md residency. oh, and you will work 1/3 more hrs/mo(and many nights/weekends/holidays) for 1/3 the salary of a doc. it sucks. it's not the money. the money is fine. it's the lack of respect. do you know any happy pa's? are they over 30? it's a lot of fun for a few years until you start hitting the "you can't do xyz because you are a pa stage". you could have done xyz hundreds of times. you could be the facility expert on xyz and teach it to the md residents but if the rule is only docs do xyz you are hosed. oh, and docs who have never done xyz get credentialed to do it just by asking....

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I convince my dad that this is right for me and not medical school?

I'm assuming you're over 18. Why don't you just leave your parents if you don't like what they're making you do?