How do I explain my void??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

connie95

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
.l

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is no shame in voiding. Your family and professors are not going to think you are stupid just because you voided. The test is hard for many people and it's understandable if you felt like you had to void because you know yourself well. I would just be honest that you did not feel sufficiently prepared so you'll take your time in prepping for the new test. I know it's easy to say but hard to do but don't put too much thought into what other people would think. Voiding isn't the end of the world..just as same as for people who scored low on the test. It's just a test and if at first you don't succeed, you try again. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Like stitch attack said, there's no shame in voiding, and it's a responsible thing to do in some circumstances. But ultimately you don't owe explanations to anyone, and you can always just say you got sick during the exam. You don't know if it was from nerves or food poisoning, but you obviously couldn't score and you're really glad you have that experience under your belt so you know what to expect on Test Day as you prepare for the next one! Try to turn it into a positive at the end, and that will move the conversation along

I normally don't advocate lying, but there are enough stresses on pre-meds that you really just don't have to deal with this.

I was in the similar situation of this: scoring the exam and doing horrible. I just told people "I think I have to re-take it." It was suffice... only a few other pre-meds ended up trying to dig more into it.

But in the end, someone reminded me to be proud that I even had the courage to take one of the hardest graduate level entry exams in the world! This is what gave me solace. So who cares what others think, you're following your dream!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you felt poor enough to void, then I would advocate you made a decision that shows your intelligence.

I think anyone logical would understand that if you said, "I studied hard and felt well prepared, but I know I did not perform as well as I could have on the exam. I had the option to "void", which means that my test will not be scored and medical schools will not see a score I am not happy with. Many people have to take the exam multiple times, and I am one of them. By choosing to "void", I have the luxury of retaking without the stigma of having a poor score on my record. This decision was right for me and I hope you support that - as it will help me be more successful in the long run".

I would say something like that. The other people who suggested an alteration of the truth also have a valid strategy though.

Reactions: 1 user
If you felt poor enough to void, then I would advocate you made a decision that shows your intelligence.

I think anyone logical would understand that if you said, "I studied hard and felt well prepared, but I know I did not perform as well as I could have on the exam. I had the option to "void", which means that my test will not be scored and medical schools will not see a score I am not happy with. Many people have to take the exam multiple times, and I am one of them. By choosing to "void", I have the luxury of retaking without the stigma of having a poor score on my record. This decision was right for me and I hope you support that - as it will help me be more successful in the long run".

I would say something like that. The other people who suggested an alteration of the truth also have a valid strategy though.

Spot on @Cawolf. I voided my exam and anyone who asked how it went I tell them that I voided and it was due to having good judgement on my end. I'm not sure why someone would score this exam if they felt their averages were not showing the score they wanted and/or if they felt they did poorly. A test of this magnitude is not one to be taken lightly and scored just for the heck of it. To me scoring an exam like this under the above mentioned circumstances shows a lack of judgement and some immaturity, both of which are two things that need to be fixed prior to begining the medical school journey.

There's certainly something to be said for "Those who matter won't mind, and those who mind don't matter."

I should have qualified my statement: only fib if the people around you will make your life hard if you tell the truth. I know that's sometimes the case with parents, which is why I said what I said. I just took the exam too, and there are people in my life who would make me feel horrible, consistently, if I told them I voided, or if I end up not doing as well as one would hope. The way I dealt with that was by not even telling them I was taking the exam, but that's easier for me to pull off as a non-trad adult living on my own than it would have been as a college student. If they had known I was taking the exam, I would be dealing with the exact same issue as the OP.

I think the OP made a courageous and responsible decision, and it's most certainly nothing to be ashamed of. But if other people in his/her life will make her life a living hell for telling the truth, it might be easier just to tell a white lie.

So, just wanted to add that clarification because I do not advocate dishonesty as a general principle! I agree that honesty is always the best way to go unless extreme circumstances muddy the waters.