How do I get in on the first shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fingers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated 5+ years ago as a Chem Engineer. I've been working since. Went to school in the evenings to get my MBA. BS. GPA ~2.8, science ~2.4, MBA ~3.6. I'm taking some BIO courses now to raise GPA and plan to take the DAT in a few months. Can I get in to dental school? What should be my goal for the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Shoot for a 30 and don't worry about what you get.

GOOD LUCK

I graduated 5+ years ago as a Chem Engineer. I've been working since. Went to school in the evenings to get my MBA. BS. GPA ~2.8, science ~2.4, MBA ~3.6. I'm taking some BIO courses now to raise GPA and plan to take the DAT in a few months. Can I get in to dental school? What should be my goal for the DAT?

With a 2.4 science GPA you would want to get at least a 25 DAT score. If you raise your science GPA to around a 3.00, a 21 or higher might be good enough. Basically, that 2.4 science GPA sticks out in a very bad way - make it less of an eye-sore and score well on the DAT and you may have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Raising your GPA to an "average acceptance" level will be close to impossible. Take as many upper level bio courses as possible, getting A's in all of them. This upward trend with a solid DAT score (22+ ish) should get your some interviews hopefully. Getting into dental school has become super competitive.... you need to make yourself stand out if you have a poor GPA. Your degree, work experience, and MBA can only help you. Now you have to show admission committees that you can hand science courses, and lots of them!

Good luck!

jB!:)

i have 3.0 cumulative undergrad GPA and 3.5 in science course (bio major) and 3.85 GPA in grad school (bio) and also 20 on the DAT.
i still didn't get in anywhere.....so good luck
you'll probably need really high DAT to get in

to be bluntly honest, you have to really ace your DAT (23+) to have a chance to get in. Don't rely on the fact that u were a chem e, they dont give a crap. I was a chem. e too and i didnt gain any advantage.

I would think you would need a DAT of at least 21 and/or raise your GPA to 3.0. Is your MBA the most recent GPA? Maybe they would use that. Do you have an in-state dental school, where you can seek advice or a health sciences advisor at a nearby college?

Not to discourage you, but I'm a mech. engineer with a 3.3 overall GPA, 3.49 BCP, 3.8 GPA postbacc, DAT=19AA/22PAT, and did not get in anywhere this year. I did have 3 interviews and am waitlisted at 2 schools. My AADSAS apps were not sent out until October.

I have been advised to apply early and plan to do so on May 15th. However, I'm still hoping I get into school this year.

Also, check out predents.com to get a feel for the stats.

I'm currently a 2nd year at Nova..
Worked as a mechanical engineer four 4 years before moving to Florida and teaching tennis.
Undergrad GPA = 2.99
Took all the prereq's plus as many upper level science courses as possible over 1.5 years and got 4.0 raising cum to 3.2
DAT's - 22 22 22
Applied late - AADSAS submitted Oct 2
Got into Nova and Maryland, withdrew from waitlist at FL, and didn't attend interviews at Temple and Pitt

So ace the prereq's, kill the DAT and apply early. Also try to get to know the professors you are taking classes from so they can write you better LOR's. Basically the same thing everyone else writes. Just wanted to let you know it can be done. I agree you can't rely on engineering alone but my interviewers really liked that it was my major. Remember it's all about total package so maximize your strengths and try to improve on any weaknesses.

That's great to hear that you got in... on the first attempt?

I'm taking classes now to get the GPA up. I'm shooting for a 22 on the DAT (practice tests) and getting lots of obs hours in.

I would think you would need a DAT of at least 21 and/or raise your GPA to 3.0. Is your MBA the most recent GPA? Maybe they would use that. Do you have an in-state dental school, where you can seek advice or a health sciences advisor at a nearby college?

Not to discourage you, but I'm a mech. engineer with a 3.3 overall GPA, 3.49 BCP, 3.8 GPA postbacc, DAT=19AA/22PAT, and did not get in anywhere this year. I did have 3 interviews and am waitlisted at 2 schools. My AADSAS apps were not sent out until October.

I have been advised to apply early and plan to do so on May 15th. However, I'm still hoping I get into school this year.

Also, check out predents.com to get a feel for the stats.

So, is it only BCP for your science GPA? It excludes any math courses?
Also, how are retakes factored into your GPA? Averaged?