How do I get into gen surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indymed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year med student at a DO school. I have recently become interested in doing gen surg as a career. I am in the middle of my class as far as rank, I have less than stellar board score for step 1. I have honors in all clinical rotations including general surg and so far one decent rec from a general surgeon. I obviously can't change what happened in the past, how do I go from here to ensure myself the best chance of getting gen surg? What can I do to make myself more competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Check your PMs.

I am a third year med student at a DO school. I have recently become interested in doing gen surg as a career. I am in the middle of my class as far as rank, I have less than stellar board score for step 1. I have honors in all clinical rotations including general surg and so far one decent rec from a general surgeon. I obviously can't change what happened in the past, how do I go from here to ensure myself the best chance of getting gen surg? What can I do to make myself more competitive?

Well, you have kind of shot yourself in the foot. I am of course assuming you are going to apply allo. If you will apply to osteo, you are fine. I am not saying it is impossible, just harder since your boards arent above average. Now, you ask is it all about boards, well, kind of. Your board scores are usually used to screen you to see whether you qualify for an interview. So, regardless of what else you have accomplished, if you don't get the interview, you can't have a chance to sell yourself or shed light on the other parts of your app. As far as what to do, my recommendation is to do sub-Is at your top three choices for the match and make sure you walk on water. Get great letters of rec, meaning, try to do sub-Is on the services of Program directors or program chairs (so if the PD is a trauma surgeon, do your sub I in SICU so you will work with them). If they get to know you and you have done very very well, it will be the most important factor in determining your fate. Also, do not ever assume the DO vs. MD attitude. People will tell you that your degree will prevent you from making your goals and dreams come true. That is absolute bull****. Just work very hard, take great care of your patients and do whatever it takes to make the life of your team easier. Regardless of the letters after your name, people expect you to prove yourself on the wards and that is where you can earn respect and support for your goals. If you really really want something, you will make it happen.