How do I get started

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Truth_seeker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask a silly question. How do I get started studying for the MCAT. I have the Kaplan books. Basically, do I just start reading that huge review book from the beginning or what? I want to get a headstart before jumping into a course or even decide if maybe a course is necessary. I guess I'm looking for a place to start on this big ole' test. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by "start on a course".

Assuming you have plenty of time to prepare for the exam as well as completed pre reqs I would read through the Kaplan books highlighting, making notes that you deem important as well as highlighting your weaknesses. Then upon a second read through the material later on, it will go quicker and you can study the high points.
#1 point is to do what works for you. My comments are just a suggestion to you. Good Luck :thumbup:

I started studying for the MCAT just as you suggested - I opened the Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive Review and started reading. It might be helpful to make a little schedule for what chapters you'll read on what days, so that you're working towards a constructive goal. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll start by taking a practice MCAT to assess my weak areas. By "starting a course" I mean starting the Kaplan online review. I was seriously kicking the idea around so wanted to gain insight as to how I should begin weighing the decision. From what I've gathered, it won't hurt and would only help. For me, it's not a money issue, it's a time issue as I'm also taking physics. But still some decisions to be made. Again, thanks for the responses!

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll start by taking a practice MCAT to assess my weak areas. By "starting a course" I mean starting the Kaplan online review. I was seriously kicking the idea around so wanted to gain insight as to how I should begin weighing the decision. From what I've gathered, it won't hurt and would only help. For me, it's not a money issue, it's a time issue as I'm also taking physics. But still some decisions to be made. Again, thanks for the responses!

I would say make your own plan and stick with it. This is what I am doing. Strictly, EK + TPR (only for physics) and read more on my blog:D .

Truth_Seeker.. when are you taking the MCAT? I'm also starting to study... for the April MCAT.

I know that this has been written dozens of times, but yes, it would be best to start with an online diagnostic---TPR or Kaplan. Then, use the big Kaplan book as a study guide, enforcing concepts with all of the EK 1001 books, and practicing with all of the AAMC exams available. If you can stay on schedule and assess yourself objectively, then I am sure that you can do without the pricey course itself. What matters is the practice---although I have heard that Kaplan offers a lot of practice materials in addition to their diagnostics. :luck: