How Do I Get Started?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi! I graduated from UCSD with a B.A in political science. My G.P.A was 3.456. The only dental prerequisites I took in college were English and psychology. I want to become a dentist, but don't know how to go about it. I know I need to take the other prerequisites, but I really don't have money, so taking them at a community college sounds really good to me! I live in Rancho Palos Verdes, and to be honest, it's in the boonies (getting to a freeway takes 30 minutes!). It's very isolated, and getting to even UCLA will take over an hour. Even getting to the closest community college, would take 35 minutes. I guess I could go to CSUDH, CSULB, or UCLA, if it's not advisable for me to take the prereqs at a cc. Should I enroll in a postbacc program, or just take the prereqs at a cc? Again, I have NO MONEY. I was thinking about doing UCLA extension, but I took a look at their schedule, and the classes only meet once a week, so I honestly think it would be too fast paced, and I won't learn too much. I've always wanted to become a dentist, but just don't know where to start, and am scared that I'll waste money, time, blood, sweat, and tears, and not even get into dental school. I'm already 25. HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Its advisable to take your pre-reqs at a University. Although CC isn't completely out of the picture but if possible you should attend an Uni. Keep in mind some schools such as Tufts, don't accept CC credits at all. I'm assuming 3.456 is your cGPA, what is your sGPA (Science + Math)? If your sGPA is decent, a postbacc is probably not worth your time.

Being a dentist is completely within reach for you. Make sure you start shadowing to make sure this dentistry is for you. Don't forget to build up some EC's if you haven't already.

Its advisable to take your pre-reqs at a University. Although CC isn't completely out of the picture but if possible you should attend an Uni. Keep in mind some schools such as Tufts, don't accept CC credits at all. I'm assuming 3.456 is your cGPA, what is your sGPA (Science + Math)? If your sGPA is decent, a postbacc is probably not worth your time.

Being a dentist is completely within reach for you. Make sure you start shadowing to make sure this dentistry is for you. Don't forget to build up some EC's if you haven't already.
Thank you for your reply!

3.456 was my cumulative G.P.A.

It's kind of embarrassing, but I didn't take many science or math classes in college, since I really didn't need much, as a poli sci major. Do psychology and poli sci stat even count in this Science GPA? Here's a list of the science and math classes I took in college:

Assuming psych even counts, here are the classes I took.
1) Psyc 190 ("Parenting"=4 units): B+
2) Erth 1 ("The Planets"=4 units): B+
3) Psyc 153 ("Psychology of Emotion"=4 units): Pass
4) Erth 20 ("The Atmosphere"=4 units): Pass
5) Environmental Science AP (AP Score=4): College deemed it Pass, and gave me 4 units
6) Psychology AP (AP Score=5): College deemed it Pass, and gave me 4 units
7) POLI 30 ("Political Inquiry", which was a political science stat course=4 units): B

Can anyone tell me my Science GPA? I would calculate it, but I don't know if psychology and my poli sci stat class counts for this Science GPA.

I know it looks like I took so many classes Pass/No Pass, but I really only took 4 classes Pass/No Pass in college, and of course passed all of them. I also had 2 Ws in college.

So, from what you know now, would it be okay for me to take all of the other prereqs at a cc, or is it still too risky? I'm afraid, because even at my local CSU, the cost of open enrollment is $233 PER unit!

Many thanks. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think those count toward science. I think only biology, chemistry, physics, and courses around those lines count toward the science GPA

Your sGPA is pretty much non-existant. Just knock out the pre-reqs, get some shadowing in, standard ECs, take the DAT, and you're golden.

check out the CSU fullerton post bac program. they have one just for non science majors trying to get into health professions.

Oh wow...LOL. Okay, good to know!

Thanks for the tip about CSUF. Will look into it!

Last edited:
I would also suggest going to godental.org to fill in any gaps if you are interested in dentistry as a career. There is a lot you have to do in addition to taking the required prerequisites.

Hi! I graduated from UCSD with a B.A in political science. My G.P.A was 3.456. The only dental prerequisites I took in college were English and psychology. I want to become a dentist, but don't know how to go about it. I know I need to take the other prerequisites, but I really don't have money, so taking them at a community college sounds really good to me! I live in Rancho Palos Verdes, and to be honest, it's in the boonies (getting to a freeway takes 30 minutes!). It's very isolated, and getting to even UCLA will take over an hour. Even getting to the closest community college, would take 35 minutes. I guess I could go to CSUDH, CSULB, or UCLA, if it's not advisable for me to take the prereqs at a cc. Should I enroll in a postbacc program, or just take the prereqs at a cc? Again, I have NO MONEY. I was thinking about doing UCLA extension, but I took a look at their schedule, and the classes only meet once a week, so I honestly think it would be too fast paced, and I won't learn too much. I've always wanted to become a dentist, but just don't know where to start, and am scared that I'll waste money, time, blood, sweat, and tears, and not even get into dental school. I'm already 25. HELP!

I would also suggest going to godental.org to fill in any gaps if you are interested in dentistry as a career. There is a lot you have to do in addition to taking the required prerequisites.
Will look into that link. I do know that I need to shadow, and have other ECs.

Thanks for the advice!