How do i get started???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freespirit711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, let me get ot the point, I am barely begining my education as a college student and would love your insight. Now I guess it has taken awhile to get me going becuse no one has ever pushed me to do what I show interest in and that is psychology. Now I dont know where to being. The school of interest due to funds offers a psychology program but only for an associates so I would have to transfer. Obviously there is not much to offer with only an associates and so I want to know what is there to offer for as far and jobs with bachelors and masters degrees in psychology. Your comments would be much apprectied. I tend to get scared taking the first step so I'd ike to know if I'm going in the write direction. I have to really be sure i'm going in the right direction in life because I already have school loans out from Kaplan just for a measly ma certificate. I didn't think it was worth it for myself others may think otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for that. Well, I do like helping kids out alot. I'd like to sit and talk with them. I want to be able to communicate with people and help them cope with problems. Or maybe even help out substance abusers? Does getting an associates in psychology in any way help towards an MSW I guess coming into such a fiels you have to be very specific. I have so many questions as to which direction to go to do just what i want to do.
I want to help the silent children out for whatever reason it is.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are still taking general ed classes, so you still have some time to choose your major. If you can, try and shadow some professionals in various fields, this will give you an idea of what you are getting into. The market is getting tough all around, so even volunteering will help you get an edge. If you still feel that a MSW will help you achieve your goals, I would strongly suggest you get a BSW, this can help you can into an advanced standing MSW program (1 year instead of 2).

Having stated the above, you should know that getting an MSW (the terminal degree for social workers, but the LCSW is the terminal license) is not as structured as getting a Ph.D in clinical/counseling psychology (the supposed terminal degree for psychologists, although I hear a M.S in psychopharmacology can be necessary, but that is a whole different can of worms). Specifically, there is a more standarized path to becoming a licensed psychologist compared to becoming a licensed clinical social worker. You can look on the psychology board, there is a set path depending on the specialty, but it can be incredibly nerve wracking and takes many years. For social workers, the path to becoming a LCSW takes far less time, but there are no standarized procedures in general to specialize in certain fields (it really depends on your geography, luck, ability to network, academic performance, past experience, personality, etc). For instance, if you get a practicum that deals with substance abuse, the hours can help count for getting your CSAC. Also, make sure the MSW programs you apply to have a emphasis on the clinical side, many clinical practicum sites with not want to bring you on if you are in a "advanced generalist" program. As for BSW programs, I am not sure (I entered a 2 year MSW program with no social work experience). Maybe another social worker can chime in about this as I have no knowledge of BSW programs. Although, it probably would be to your benefit if you went a good school where you can get both your BSW and MSW. If such is the case, you may want to look at the prereqs for schools with quality BSW and MSW clinical programs and finish out your general ed classes at a JC.

I know this is a lot to digest, but I just wanted to give you an idea of what you are possibly getting into and what you want to think about for the future. I could go into more detail, but I need to know more about what specifically you want to do. Are you a freshman in college?