How do I go about submitting my own research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questiona

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
maybe you should talk to an adviser at your school?

also, if someone else wrote the abstract, you can't just use it and claim it's your own... if that is what you're asking. so if you want yourself to be the only author, you need to have 100% original content from abstract to conclusion.

1. You need a current IRB until the research is published.
2. You probably could, but they'd have to be an author or you're plagiarizing.
3. You submit a manuscript and other things, but it depends on the journal.

Regardless, you need to include the other authors, as well as a PI. No reputable journal is going to accept a single author paper by a pre-med.

Members don't see this ad :)
These questions don't sound simple to me. I'd seek out an advisor or another researcher you know and ask him/her. Going about this the wrong way could have some negative repercussions.

No I absolutely did NOT mean that I will be re-using it. I mean I want to use it as a template, nothing will be paraphrased. I will write everything on my own, just use it as a source to help generate ideas on what/how to write.

Also, the research advisor was an MD who left and is now practicing in another state and I don't feel comfortable bothering him about it since he just gave everything to me so it seems like he wanted it off his shoulders.

There's no way he'd consider that "bothering" him. If he does, he's a bad advisor. You need guidance here and that's to be expected.

These questions don't sound simple to me. I'd seek out an advisor or another researcher you know and ask him/her. Going about this the wrong way could have some negative repercussions.

Depends on what you do?

This is all pretty run of the mill stuff when it comes to IRB stuff. If the IRB is lapsed, i.e. expired vs closed out, the research shouldn't even be conducted. No analysis, no writing, no nothing.

Depends on what you do?

This is all pretty run of the mill stuff when it comes to IRB stuff. If the IRB is lapsed, i.e. expired vs closed out, the research shouldn't even be conducted. No analysis, no writing, no nothing.
Thank you

:eek:

Don't do anything until you meet with your PI and discuss the project and what needs to be done for it.

Journals that publich data on humans will ask if IRB procedures were used and approved. They won't ask for proof.

1. Do I have to have IRB approval in order to use the old data and submit to a journal? (The IRB expired)

Guide, yes
2. The main researcher gave me pretty much everything, can I use their abstract/discussion as a guide for mine?

It's a manuscript. Depending upont he length and format, the journal may call it a "Research Paper", an "article", "Brief Definitive Report" or something else.
3. What exactly am I submitting to the journals, a manuscript or a research paper (dumb question I know)?
Go pick a journal (let's say, J Physiology = http://jp.physoc.org/) and look at the Instructions for Authors.

Reactions: 1 user
1. You need a current IRB until the research is published.
2. You probably could, but they'd have to be an author or you're plagiarizing.
3. You submit a manuscript and other things, but it depends on the journal.

Regardless, you need to include the other authors, as well as a PI. No reputable journal is going to accept a single author paper by a pre-med .

I could not agree more with the bonded statement. Publication runs on cred as much as science. The only journals likely to take a solo authored paper by someone without a doctorate are the super sketchy pay to publish shops that are somehow sprouting up like weeds.