How do I improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OL_73

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am a pre-medical student in my last year of undergrad. I plan on taking a gap year or two (or more). I am still debating on what to do during these years off. My cumulative GPA is a 3.7 but my science GPA is low at about a 3.4.

I think I overextended myself as far as extracurriculars during undergrad, which is why my grades suffered a bit, but because of that, I have killer leadership and service experiences:
  1. Varied leadership positions in 7 student orgs. (president, VP, treasurer, secretary, public relations)
  2. Member of Student Government
  3. Founded a service-focused student organization
  4. Extended participation in many service/volunteer organizations
  5. Volunteer at local hospital, afterschool programs
  6. Worked in Psychology Department at my school
  7. Several international service trips
I haven't taken the MCAT yet, so I don't know how that will factor in. I have done research, but not much, and I unfortunately haven't done much shadowing. My rec letters should be good, and I think I would interview well. I'm also black, female, an immigrant, and a first-generation college student (sorry, but I know it helps).

Some ideas I have for my gap year(s) are:
  1. Research
  2. UN volunteer, Peace Corps, etc.
  3. EMT program
  4. Post-bacc program
Which of these options would be most useful for getting me into med school, or is there something else I should do to improve my chances?

I want to go to a good school (I know that's vague, but my goal is the med school for my undergrad university, University of Miami). Do I have a shot at a school at this level, or should I look elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I should mention that I have 2 C's and 2 Ws.

Hi everyone!

I am a pre-medical student in my last year of undergrad. I plan on taking a gap year or two (or more). I am still debating on what to do during these years off. My cumulative GPA is a 3.7 but my science GPA is low at about a 3.4.

I think I overextended myself as far as extracurriculars during undergrad, which is why my grades suffered a bit, but because of that, I have killer leadership and service experiences:
  1. Varied leadership positions in 7 student orgs. (president, VP, treasurer, secretary, public relations)
I haven't taken the MCAT yet, so I don't know how that will factor in. I have done research, but not much, and I unfortunately haven't done much shadowing. My rec letters should be good, and I think I would interview well. I'm also black, female, an immigrant, and a first-generation college student (sorry, but I know it helps).

1. Research
  3. EMT program
  4. Post-bacc program
Which of these options would be most useful for getting me into med school, or is there something else I should do to improve my chances?

I want to go to a good school (I know that's vague, but my goal is the med school for my undergrad university, University of Miami). Do I have a shot at a school at this level, or should I look elsewhere?

As a young person of color with extensive leadership experiences and plenty of clinical hours, you will get stand a very good shot at a medical school acceptance if you do well on the MCAT.

Study extensively (~6-12 mo.) for the test, make sure you have all your bases covered, make sure you're scoring well on practice tests, and then slam the real thing (509+).

The rest of your app is already there, so the only additional thing I would recommend is shadowing.

After you have the MCAT nailed down, then you can go off to foreign countries and volunteer or whatever, if that's truly what you want to do... but get the test out of the way first.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should consider working as a medical scribe. It's an excellent opportunity to learn how physicians work and think as you will be doing much of what they would have to do in terms of writing patient history, physical exams, looking at past medical history and other medical records, etc. You will be exposed to a lot of the medical decision making process, which is awesome. For that reason, I think it's the best way to gain clinical experience, more than being an EMT (although arguably less exciting).

I imagine that you are worried about your 2 C's and W's. If you do well on your MCAT (510+) and get some more clinical experience in some form, you'll be in a pretty good spot since the rest of your grades of obviously pretty good! FWIW (sample size = 1), I got C's in organic chemistry I and organic chemistry lab and I have gotten 4 II's so far, and like you, I had a cGPA of 3.7.

Reactions: 1 user
Your gap year should focus on:

1. Crushing MCAT
2. You did not say how many clinical hours you have, but more is always good.
3. Whatever else you enjoy

You will be a great applicant given a solid MCAT score. Do not worry about that 3.4 sGPA. It is lower than average, but not too low (especially with a 3.7 cGPA and being URM).

You should consider working as a medical scribe. It's an excellent opportunity to learn how physicians work and think as you will be doing much of what they would have to do in terms of writing patient history, physical exams, looking at past medical history and other medical records, etc. You will be exposed to a lot of the medical decision making process, which is awesome. For that reason, I think it's the best way to gain clinical experience, more than being an EMT (although arguably less exciting).

I imagine that you are worried about your 2 C's and W's. If you do well on your MCAT (510+) and get some more clinical experience in some form, you'll be in a pretty good spot since the rest of your grades of obviously pretty good! FWIW (sample size = 1), I got C's in organic chemistry I and organic chemistry lab and I have gotten 4 II's so far, and like you, I had a cGPA of 3.7.

I have to disagree with this. Being a scribe you yourself are not interacting with the patients. The general opinion on SDN seems to be that being an EMT is like being a taxi driver. This is such a stupid perspective. Who do you think responds to emergencies? The few years I've spent as an EMT have been more informative for me in determining my path than any shadowing I've done, which is sort of what scribing ends up to be. If you're interested in really learning the ins and outs of working with people, how to deal with emergencies, and actually make a difference in people's lives prior to going to school then being an EMT is a great option!

Also, as a side note about the potential for being a "taxi driver", someone has to get patients to appointments they may not be able to get to without an ambulance. I've taken patients to their appointments and then had to inform doctors that their patients require an ED and rapid intervention that the doctors haven't been quick enough to provide. It's gets your head in the game, and gives you actual clinical exposure.. you're not watching patient care, you are delivering patient care.

Just my two cents. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I have to disagree with this. Being a scribe you are yourself are not interacting with the patients. The general opinion on SDN seems to be that being an EMT is like being a taxi driver. This is such a stupid perspective. Who do you think responds to emergencies? The few years I've spent as an EMT have been more informative for me in determining my path than any shadowing I've done, which is sort of what scribing ends up to be. If you're interested in really learning the ins and outs of working with people, how to deal with emergencies, and actually make a difference in people's lives prior to going to school then being an EMT is a great option!

Also, as a side note about the potential for being a "taxi driver", someone has to get patients to appointments they may not be able to get to without an ambulance. I've taken patients to their appointments and then had to inform doctors that their patients require an ED and rapid intervention that the doctors haven't been quick enough to provide. It's gets your head in the game, and gives you actual clinical exposure.. you're not watching patient care, you are delivering patient care.

Fair point; scribes pretty much don't interact with patients at all. EMTs get a ton of hands-on experience but are not exposed to any medical decision making, charting, etc. at all, while scribes are the complete opposite. And while EMTs obviously learn technical skills that will be invaluable as a physician, docs also spend a ton of time documenting nowadays, so that's also important to learn. In short, both EMTs and scribes develop skills that will be useful in medical school and beyond. It will be up to OP to weigh the pro/con of each job and make an informed decision.

And while I disagree with the notion of EMTs being glorified taxi drivers, I wonder what AdComs think? Do they share that belief?

Fair point; scribes pretty much don't interact with patients at all. EMTs get a ton of hands-on experience but are not exposed to any medical decision making, charting, etc. at all, while scribes are the complete opposite. And while EMTs obviously learn technical skills that will be invaluable as a physician, docs also spend a ton of time documenting nowadays, so that's also important to learn. In short, both EMTs and scribes develop skills that will be useful in medical school and beyond. It will be up to OP to weigh the pro/con of each job and make an informed decision.

And while I disagree with the notion of EMTs being glorified taxi drivers, I wonder what AdComs think? Do they share that belief?

I'm sorry to keep arguing, but I quite literally make medical decisions every single time I see a patient, not to the same extent as a doctor, but I have a license that allows me to make choices that determine if someone lives or dies. And I also have hours of paperwork to do for every shift, AND I read all the doctors and nurses charting.

Overall, OP should choose what they think will be best for them. OP, good luck! I'm sure you'll do great :)

Reactions: 2 users
As a young person of color with extensive leadership experiences and plenty of clinical hours, you will get stand a very good shot at a medical school acceptance if you do well on the MCAT.

Study extensively (~6-12 mo.) for the test, make sure you have all your bases covered, make sure you're scoring well on practice tests, and then slam the real thing (509+).

The rest of your app is already there, so the only additional thing I would recommend is shadowing.

After you have the MCAT nailed down, then you can go off to foreign countries and volunteer or whatever, if that's truly what you want to do... but get the test out of the way first.

Thanks for responding! I studied for the MCAT over the summer, so I have about 4 months of solid studying. It's a little harder to study now since I'm taking classes and busy with other activities, but I study extensively at least 3 days a week. I'm planning on taking the MCAT in April, so hopefully I'll be prepared.

And I will definitely try to get some more shadowing opportunities.

Thanks for the advice! Being a medical scribe sounds like a great opportunity. I don't know why I didn't think of that, but I'll definitely look into it.

Your gap year should focus on:

1. Crushing MCAT
2. You did not say how many clinical hours you have, but more is always good.
3. Whatever else you enjoy

You will be a great applicant given a solid MCAT score. Do not worry about that 3.4 sGPA. It is lower than average, but not too low (especially with a 3.7 cGPA and being URM).

Thanks for responding! I'll definitely focus a LOT on the MCAT. I have a good amount of clinical hours, but I'm definitely planning on doing more.

I am worried about my sGPA, which is why I'm hoping my MCAT score will balance it out.

I have to disagree with this. Being a scribe you yourself are not interacting with the patients. The general opinion on SDN seems to be that being an EMT is like being a taxi driver. This is such a stupid perspective. Who do you think responds to emergencies? The few years I've spent as an EMT have been more informative for me in determining my path than any shadowing I've done, which is sort of what scribing ends up to be. If you're interested in really learning the ins and outs of working with people, how to deal with emergencies, and actually make a difference in people's lives prior to going to school then being an EMT is a great option!

Thanks for the advice! That's an interesting point. I feel like I would enjoy being an EMT more than being a scribe, but I'll definitely look into both. And I agree with you that being an EMT is a better way to interact with patients.

This is a hard decision to make because, like you said, a scribe and an EMT learn opposite skills that are both important. I think being a scribe might be better for me because I have other patient care experiences, so medical decision making is probably a more relevant skill for me to develop at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to keep arguing, but I quite literally make medical decisions every single time I see a patient, not to the same extent as a doctor, but I have a license that allows me to make choices that determine if someone lives or dies. And I also have hours of paperwork to do for every shift, AND I read all the doctors and nurses charting.

Overall, OP should choose what they think will be best for them. OP, good luck! I'm sure you'll do great :)

So would you say that being an EMT actually combines direct patient care with medical decision-making? If so, maybe that's the best option.

I have some time before I decide my gap year(s) plans, so I'll talk to my advisors and other students to hear their opinions.

EMT training is over a year and requires specific classes if I'm not mistaken whereas Scribing requires like a month of training. If you haven't seen the everyday life and job of a doctor, become a scribe. If you have plenty of exposure to what a doctor does and experiences on the daily, become an EMT. Although I think it's a little harsh and naïve, I will say that I've seen EMT's referred to as glorified cab drivers several times by numerous reputable members on SDN.

I'm a medical scribe and I definitely interact with patients every day, although I will admit that my "scribing" is a little bit less conventional than what most scribes do. Scribing also allows you to be directly working with a doctor. The OP would like to be a physician, not a paramedic, so I would say this is fantastic CLINICAL experience to do during a gap year. It also takes significantly less training to become a scribe.

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, being an EMT is a great option too, and I will agree it's likely more patient experience than a scribe.

Thanks for responding! I'll definitely focus a LOT on the MCAT. I have a good amount of clinical hours, but I'm definitely planning on doing more.

I am worried about my sGPA, which is why I'm hoping my MCAT score will balance it out.

a 3.4 science GPA is not too low for a URM, female with a 3.7 cGPA. All comes down to your MCAT performance to show where you will be competitive at. Good luck!

Have you been a scribe as well, or only shadowed?

There's nothing wrong with being an EMT. It's a good job, it gives you knowledge about the inner workings of EMS and how it fits into our healthcare system while directly interacting with people. However, I wouldn't conflate the decision making process as an EMT operating under the standing orders of a physician with that of an actual physician. Additionally, you can't deny that if you're paired with a paramedic, the majority of the decision making is going to be done by them and they will have a greater scope of practice than you do. Becoming an EMT also requires additional time and money to train and get certified.

Being a scribe gives you insight into what it's like being a physician because you literally follow a physician around your entire shift. You also learn what how to pick out significant information from the patient's history for the EMR and how to chart accurately. Depending on where you scribe you'll get to see a variety of procedures, the thought process behind ordering those procedures, and can follow the patient from intake to discharge.

The few years I've spent as an EMT have been more informative for me in determining my path than any shadowing I've done, which is sort of what scribing ends up to be.

Saying things like being an EMT informed your career decision more so than shadowing a physician did makes it seem like you may enjoy being an EMT more than being a physician, or haven't shadowed very much.

If you're interested in really learning the ins and outs of working with people, how to deal with emergencies, and actually make a difference in people's lives prior to going to school then being an EMT is a great option!

Which would be great if OP wanted to be an EMT/Medic/FF, but OP's question was about what would be the most helpful for getting into medical school. She sounds like through her current ECs she already has experience working with people, but has limited shadowing experience. Adcoms want to see that you know what it's like to be a physician, and if you'll actually enjoy the day-to-day grind. EMT experience really isn't relevant outside the context of emergency medicine, and even then for every critical case you deliver via ambo, 100+ non-emergent cases came to the ED on their own. An emergency physician isn't going to strictly work on the critical cases brought in by EMS personnel, they're going to have to see the "I stubbed my toe I think its broken" and "I ran out of my meds" cases as well.

Applying to medical school after spending time as a scribe shows that you still want to become a physician after witnessing the realities of the job, instead of spending $200k+ to find out you won't be "deciding who lives or dies" everyday as a doctor.

OP, in the end it's your decision. Either are good choices, but being a scribe will be cheaper, faster, and will reduce the amount of shadowing you need to do.

Last edited:
So would you say that being an EMT actually combines direct patient care with medical decision-making? If so, maybe that's the best option.

I have some time before I decide my gap year(s) plans, so I'll talk to my advisors and other students to hear their opinions.

It's far more basic decision making than a physician, but it's certainly medical decision making. Our protocols are laid out by physicians and we act under the license of our medical director, but it's still up to us to actually make the decisions.

Either would be good. I know what doctors do, and I have a good grasp of prehospital and patient care that most of my friends going into medical school don't.

* You have a certification, not license. And please explain these life and death decisions...

Hi everyone!

1. Research
  3. EMT program
  4. Post-bacc program

Why?

* You have a certification, not license. And please explain these life and death decisions...

Inarguably a hyperbole. However decision making non-the-less. And that is incorrect. I have a certification, and a license that gives me leave to actually practice within the state protocols.

Smoking weed has improved my chances drastically.

Well, some people get offended by the advantage it'll give me
Screw em. Apologize for nothing. No one will apologize for all the cons with being AA. Own it.

Reactions: 1 users