How do I look for med school? 3.54 GPA, 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm posting my stats to try to get a sense of where I stand. Thanks for your help!

GPA: 3.54 from JHU
BCPM: 3.44 (2Cs in organic chem)
MCAT: 31
Other:
- 1yr neurosurgery research at Johns Hopkins Med School
- 2 publications, 2 pending publications (all non-1st author)
- 11 years nationally competitive fencer, including 2 nat'l championship 1st place finishes
- 1 summer teaching fencing and supervising campers age 6-16 at a summer camp
- Long history of music most recently including 4yrs in student-run a cappella group--2x president, 2x secretary/treasurer, 4x head of publicity
- 4x Dean's List
- Starting my 2nd yr of work as a clinical research assistant in a clinic at Weill Cornell Med College
- About to start volunteering at a NY hospital

I'm a NJ resident so I'd love to go to RWJMS or NJMS, but I'm also applying to schools in NY and Philly, primarily (and maybe some other state schools elsewhere). Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I'm posting my stats to try to get a sense of where I stand. Thanks for your help!

GPA: 3.54 from JHU
BCPM: 3.44 (2Cs in organic chem)
MCAT: 31
Other:
- 1yr neurosurgery research at Johns Hopkins Med School
- 2 publications, 2 pending publications (all non-1st author)
- 11 years nationally competitive fencer, including 2 nat'l championship 1st place finishes
- 1 summer teaching fencing and supervising campers age 6-16 at a summer camp
- Long history of music most recently including 4yrs in student-run a cappella group--2x president, 2x secretary/treasurer, 4x head of publicity
- 4x Dean's List
- Starting my 2nd yr of work as a clinical research assistant in a clinic at Weill Cornell Med College
- About to start volunteering at a NY hospital

I'm a NJ resident so I'd love to go to RWJMS or NJMS, but I'm also applying to schools in NY and Philly, primarily (and maybe some other state schools elsewhere). Thanks again!

The fact that you're only just about to start volunteering could be a little issue for you. The fencing is somewhat unique, which is always good, and your research activities seem strong. IMO, your GPA is on the low side of average, and your MCAT is good but not great. If I were you, I'd apply to mostly lower-tier schools plus a few others that you really love, and I would include a few DO schools as well (perhaps PCOM and NYCOM).

If an allopathic school is your primary goal, I'd encourage you to consider an additional year of GPA improvement with As in upper-level science courses before you apply. During that year you could engage in regular weekly noncampus/community service, do some physician shadowing, and beef up your clinical experience (I'm assuming that by clinical research you are implying some contact with sick people for the last year).

The fencing is outstanding. The year of research is about average, but publications are golden. Your teaching, leadership, and artistic endeavor look good. If you volunteered at the camp, that is another potential postive.

Rushing into an application cycle would not be in your best interest at this time.